Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

Umbral Platinum - DBP18 Released! A Limit-Removing Project from Doomer Boards

Despite being in the team, I'd barely played anything of this set, and literally no final versions, as Cuppy's safari was a late addition. So I've just spent the last 3 hours playing through the map set in one GZDoom continuous sitting on UV. Obviously the DBP "10 minute rule" has been broken a bit here!

Anyway... HOLY SHIT! Cuppy's MAP01 is quite an impressive dungeon that you'll be crawling around in for a good while, constantly finding new stuff. Then you've got a run of solid 10-to-15-minute maps (highlight probably being glenzinho's map) and then @Big Ol Billy comes along and drops a proper epic. Seriously, if you only play one map this year, Billy's MAP07 should probably be it.

Edited by Phobus

it kills me to say this, but this might be better than Alien Basterds!  my day has already gone to waste.

so i only beat map 01 and it was solid, but SCCT said to mention every little thing I find odd.  So...

the arachnotron got stuck and could not cross the raised catwalk.  of course, he did after he killed me the first time.  I dont know what he is supposed to do- maybe he is supposed to be random.

2nd, there is a hidden corpse in a pool of lava with lost souls that cannot hurt me.  All cool stuff.  Maybe it was a secret?  No clue.

3rd, a sprite was bleeding through some textures near the end of the map.

Only took my 45 miutes to beat map 01 :)

Screenshot (91).png

Screenshot (92).png

Screenshot (93).png

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

10 hours ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Experimenting with a more unconventional map lineup so let me know if you think it's whack or think it's great.

What do you mean by unconventional, I'm at map 05 and it's pretty standard DBP stuff.

As for the levels themselves they're all great, as expected from these projects.

The only thing that bugs me is that Platinum Soldier sits at map 01, feels like something that should be put in the last few maps, makes the second map with it's mere 100+ monsters underwhelming.

NY4UPAV.png

7 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

it kills me to say this, but this might be better than Alien Basterds!  my day has already gone to waste.

so i only beat map 01 and it was solid, but SCCT said to mention every little thing I find odd.  So...

the arachnotron got stuck and could not cross the raised catwalk.  of course, he did after he killed me the first time.  I dont know what he is supposed to do- maybe he is supposed to be random.

2nd, there is a hidden corpse in a pool of lava with lost souls that cannot hurt me.  All cool stuff.  Maybe it was a secret?  No clue.

3rd, a sprite was bleeding through some textures near the end of the map.

Only took my 45 miutes to beat map 01 :)

Good work! Thanks for the feedback. The arachnotron seems to be fine on my end. Though there is the chance the demons could teleport in first from there. The pool of lava with the two lost souls is just there for simple infighting fun. Check out the 1.5 version if you can and enjoy the rest of your platinum Doom adventure!

@Rince-wind The only thing that bugs me is that Platinum Soldier sits at map 01, feels like something that should be put in the last few maps, makes the second map with it's mere 100+ monsters underwhelming.

The long MAP01 is precisely what I meant by an unconventional map lineup. Though I guess I could have been more specific with saying that it's the order of the maps you play.

Map01. Holy god, really good map. The opinions are what I thought of it, but not necessarily good, so take whatever you think it's reasonable :)

Thanks a lot for the effort making these. There will definitely be next part(s) of videos.

8 hours ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

UMBRAL PLATINUM RC 1.5 is here now so if you haven't played it yet now you really should!

Dammit, this looks freakin’ good, I won’t have a chance to Doom for the next week though. Screens look great for this one though, gonna be blasting through it once I can!

@GarrettChan Wow thanks for the video it's a fun watch! Your video helped point out some oversights I had going from the 1.0 to the 1.5 version so thank you for that too. That area with the slow crushers I'm considering replacing with something else since I was running out of time so maybe I can extend the hitscanner and barrel section of the part before or just improve what I have. Maybe have some revenants teleport in at the end on a timer so you can have some combat without the invulnerability but that's not really important. Personally I like being invincible so I'm thinking that just obliterating a final wave rocketing them face-to-face is a good way to say every monster's dead. That or I'm just being lazy again.

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

Very cool set, really enjoyed all maps! I'm a fan of big sprawling maps so these were right up my alley, especially 01 & 07.

Recorded FDAs (glboom+ cl2) but they are for RC 1.0...

FDA_UmbraPlatinum.zip

@SuperCupcakeTactics Thanks and I'm glad that you enjoyed the video. I guess replacing the slow crushers with fast crushers could be a direction, or maybe actually make some ghost monsters to have fun (evil grin). My "immature" after thought about the final fight, is that, since you can preview the fight, a Soulsphere and a Plasma Rifle are good enough for the player to deal with that, but that's going a bit too far, or one day you'll have the same setup and use it ;P

Anyway, I hope there'll be more maps from you like this. Cheers.

I gave this run in GZdoom 4.2.4 and I noticed some problems:

MAP01: Imps 936, 1062 and 1146 didn't teleport into playable areas.

MAP06: HOM at linedef 1858 when the lift is up.

Umbral Platinum 1.7

Last version before RC2. Mostly bug fixes and some more polish on my map. Hopefully I can get RC2 out in the next 24 hours.

@Bryan TAnd thank you for playing and respecting the map design :)

@Caleb13Thank you those have been fixed now in 1.7.

@Walter confettiHonestly I don't think I can ever see this project with my map not being the introduction to the set now. Hope you enjoyed your time playing it though!

I still have yet to sit down and really experience the set as a total piece of work (we’re already cooking up an extra special holiday DBP19 ;) ), but I’ll defend Cuppy’s sequencing. We’ve all played and/or made sets with yer usual length/difficulty progression. But I think having a tasty 5-map sandwich on chunky Cuppy + Billy bread is kinda fun and different. Plus I think it does add a certain feel to the whole project to kick it off by throwing the player straight into the tech-dungeon in a major way.

Not to invalidate anyone’s own opinion or experience, of course! Just wanted to say that I appreciate Cuppers taking chances and throwing convention to the wind with this set.

Mist howls from the mountains forged in shadow, and from the crown an eruption of dusted light hails hauntings that ravage down below. The soul of this mountain can only be cleansed by the eradication of monsters drawn to the beacon of Umbral Platinum... 2.0

Heeeey it's finally here and the thread OP is updated as well! SO DOWNLOAD THIS RIGHT NOW AND PLAY THIS AWESOME SET O' MAPS!

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

Blind playthrough Part 2, with Map02 and Map03. Heh, I recorded this right before you uploaded 2.0. I'll use 2.0 for later maps.

Both maps are great in general. I think Map02 has a little bit too much resource. That's about it.

Good shit, Garrett, caught these when you uploaded the vid this morning, nice breakfast watch :) You're a lot better at punching hellknights than me!  

37 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Good shit, Garrett, caught these when you uploaded the vid this morning, nice breakfast watch :) You're a lot better at punching hellknights than me!  

Thanks. I can't wait until your map. I have heard so many good things about it, so I'll definitely enjoy it :D

Thanks for playing @GarrettChan - I'm surprised you used the SSG on so many zombies and still had enough ammo, to be honest! As for the Berserk secret... It's actually a lot easier than you thought. There's two tech pillars, and the one without the berserk on it has a different texture on one side.

Good one @GarrettChan looking forward to see you on MAP06. MAP02 collab was way too scarce on resources in the previous versions D: but I think the generosity of resources reflects a bit more the original author style. Since you were wondering who did what (and for those who may be interested) I basically did a tune-up of Walter's map, the main layout was kept and there was a rather big visual overhaul pretty much everywhere, some rooms that were bland crate storages were changed into something different. For the gameplay I tried to stay with what was already there but making it a bit more fierce. I think the original versions by Walter are still in the development thread.

Blind Playthrough Part 3 with Map04 and Map05. Map05 is pretty fun overall due to the challenges in the map.

@Phobus Now after you say it, I realize I did use too much SSG during the map. Heh, I'm too lazy overall I think. Overall, the resource is not that tight then. I personally don't really like tech base style maps, but I really dig the details put into the non playable areas.

@gaspe One thing I wanted to ask all the time is that... did I pronounce your name correctly? My impressions about your maps (1 map in Revilution, 2 maps in Devilution, 1/4 of Akeldama Map31) are that your maps are detailed. Now, it makes sense that you did the detail modifications rather than a whole area of the map. I also can't wait to play your full on Map06 :D  Also, I really understand resource balance is very hard to do, especially taking different playing styles into considerations.

Blind Playthrough Part 4 with Map06. I got everything in this map. Hurray!

The challenge provided in this map is pretty fun with quite a rough start. Of course, punching Hell Knights is just fun! Gameplay wise, this map is good. Also, the details in the mapping are high appreciated.

My only real issue is that non damaging poison because it definitely makes me hesitate to step in it... The theme is just my subjective view. I hope @gaspedoesn't mind this. Maybe it's me who is losing the touch, which makes my feeling towards the messy side, or maybe I'm just too tired to feel it properly.