Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Which version of DoomGuy is your favorite?

Favorite version of Doom Guy  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite version of Doom Guy?

• Classic Doom Guy
    • Doom 64 Doom Guy
    • Doom 3 Doom Guy
    • Doom Guy from Quake 3: Arena and Quake Champions
    • Doom Slayer

The hot take here obviously is “they’re all the same guy”, other than the Doom 3 dude of course.

If we’re talking about visual design though it’s gotta be Doomguy as depicted on the title card and box art of Doom1 (idk what was going on with his hair in Doom2). His exposed skin really humanises him or something, I dunno. The Slayer armour does make more sense for adventures in space but I always felt like he was a Gear of War that somehow got mixed up in the Doom universe.

I like the Gears and some of them reminded me of Doomguy anyway so that’s not a complaint, but being so huge and bulky just makes me think of discomfort and trouble running around. OG Doomguy doesn’t look encumbered by all that bulk. He can sprint on a moment’s notice.

On 12/16/2019 at 5:19 AM, Maximum Matt said:

The one that stares back at me in the mirror.💀💀💀

Something about this statement mixed with your profile pic is just... too perfect.

The Doom Slayer. He represents an awareness in both videogame storytelling and id's own Doom franchise which I completely did not expect from id.

I'll tell you which version of Doomguy isn't my favorite: the Doom 3 one.

All other versions are tied for 1st place.

Classic Doomguy for me though you can argue the Doom 64 marine is the same guy as well.  The Doomslayer may or may not be the original and Doom Eternal is supposed to confirm one of these theories.

Doom 3 guys is pretty cool too, definitely the most "human" of the bunch.

But what about the Resurrection of Evil engineer as a choice as well?

Quake 3. Best Deathmatch game ever and the model was used in the best sports game ever made, THPS3. Thats enough for me. QC did Doomguy really well but they shoulda let him have a board too, bruh. 

Doomguy1_big.jpg

Oh crap!   I forgot he can use The Force in THPS3!   RIP AND TEAR from a distance!!  (Having trouble thinking of his own special moves they gave him one of Darth Maul's pictured there)

On 12/12/2019 at 3:10 AM, VanillaExtract said:

I honestly have to say Quake Champions Doomguy in a sense. After seeing multiple images awkwardly trying to portray Doomguy's head in 3d over the years, I had all but lost hope anyone could do it properly. QC, however, surprised and delighted me by presenting the perfect model to bring Doomguy's classic mug into the polygonal age, even adding a few aging details that seemed earned in light of Doom's extensive history. I honestly buy that he's the same Doomguy from 1 and 2 and will be completely disappointed if this model, or one very similar, isn't what's used for whatever face reveal may be planned for Eternal. The Doomguy HUD image will always be classic, but the model made for QC brought it to life.

This, he's pretty accurate and actually looks like both the OG marine in high render and a descendant of BJ.

Oh yeah and Classic Doomguy is my favorite.

I think that the Quake 3: Arena Doomguy is the most accurate 3D-interpretation of the classic Doomguy.

Just imagine a Q3A-Engine based DooM-Game made with this character-model.

Keep the guy the way he was originally designed! Or at least give us an option not to look at that Haloized fucker that is "DUUM SLAYA memelord 5000." I swear its like looking at a sunmelted Doomguy and Master Chief conjoined abomination when I look at that dumpster fire redesign that was 2016. 

Classic Doom Guy. He is inmune to fall damage and he destroyed a hell's army to save earth and to avenge his pet rabbit... That's really cool IMO XD

On 1/18/2020 at 8:30 AM, warman2012 said:

Keep the guy the way he was originally designed! Or at least give us an option not to look at that Haloized fucker that is "DUUM SLAYA memelord 5000." I swear its like looking at a sunmelted Doomguy and Master Chief conjoined abomination when I look at that dumpster fire redesign that was 2016. 

And I thought I was the only one who thinks that the Slayer-Whatever-2016-Guy looks like a molten mishmash of the Master Chief and a somewhat Doomguy...

Not to mention this bizarre red plastic-sword the Slayer-Whatever-2016-Guy wields to stop demonic invasions or whatever.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:30 AM, warman2012 said:

Agreed.  Visually, it's yet another example of the modern sci-fi design philosophy, where they must overload every piece of equipment with absurd amounts of pointless detail.  Every square inch must be filled with random metallic protrusions, wires, hexagonal plates, and glowing cyan cracks, or else it won't feel like the future somehow.  OG design is no masterwork but I miss that sense of restraint.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, Boomslang said:

that's what YOU think.

Doom 3 has four seperate playable people doing things, Doom 2 basegame, Resurrection of Evil, Lost Mission, and Resurrection. However it may be three, if Resurrection isnt canon to the Doom 3 universe.