Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

On 12/19/2019 at 5:33 AM, Arbys550 said:

Someone here who's experienced, please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all things in the game share the same RNG table, so you could perform any action that requires RNG and it would fix that. Each enemy type doesn't have their own RNG table, as far as I know.

Yes, that is the case in the original Doom.

But in GZDoom at least, there are multiple independent tables so doing an action that in normal Doom would change the next value does nothing. Testing is simple. Start a game, make a save, get hit by something, load and every time after the load, you will get hit for exactly the same damage unless you completely restart GZDoom.

Have you tried, like, punching a wall?

It's pretty easy to tell what's using which table in the RNG in GZDoom, it's right in the actor code. For example, the nitrogolem, you can see this:

random[MummyAttack2](1,8)

The thing in square brackets is the RNG index to use. If it's not provided, then it's the regular table that's used.

and k8vavoom doesn't even bother to save the random seed, so you can smash "quickload" until you get what you want. ;-)

On 11/22/2019 at 9:00 PM, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

For me its that one weird lookin' pixel on the ssg. It always annoyed me.

2019_11_22_19_56_16_prboom_2.5.0.png

Same

Really, I only hate lost souls. What about you?

Edited by Gore

The first two maps of E4.

They should've been much later in the episode, I feel. For the opening pair of maps, they're unnecessarily tough - almost the whole rest of the episode after them becomes a fucking cakewalk in comparison.

Pistol. Slow firing and looking kinda fat. Making it useful again is one of the many things I love about Eviternity.

- Blockmap bug is probably the most irritating thing in the vanilla Doom.

- E4M1 is not balanced at all if you are going for 100 % everything. Maybe a berserk or a chainsaw would do the trick. Perhaps a box or two of bullets. People despise E4M2 but at least that one gives you goodies & once you figure out how to play it, it becomes less frustrating & more fun. E4M1 is permanently frustrating, no matter how hard you try to do the best. Not sure if McGee intentionally made it this annoying or forgot to put more supplies of any kind.

- Cacos & Pain Elementals flying away when you shoot them with rockets, plasma or ssg, especially in a wide open area. There is a way to counter that, though.

Is Doomguy right or left handed?! He shoots his pistol lefty, but shotgun righty!

The only thing I can really say I hate is the 'safety pin' on the rocket launcher. :P

Also: Lost souls should have half health

17 minutes ago, Endless said:

- No John Carmack level. Just imagine.

At least episode 6 of wolf3d has two levels made by Bobby Prince. They're... interesting.

Plasma Rifle is too loud.

Really I just don't like the issues that have stemmed from compatibility as a result of decisions made decades ago. I understand why, but it's frustrating that it can't just work out of the box without having prior knowledge of compatibility stuff -- or the author setting it for the user somehow.

I also don't like that they never fixed sprite and flat loading in vanilla.

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Blockmap bug.

pretty much this; everything else i'm either indifferent about or love.

48 minutes ago, Endless said:

No John Carmack level. Just imagine.

I don’t think galaxy brain and architect of the simulation we call reality would stoop to a lowly level designer.*

*Yeah, I watch Civvie. I am a man of culture, after all.

Donna To The Rescue has my favorite first 22 seconds of any Doom 1 song, then it turns into weird ass buzzing. Also related but not something I hate, In The Dark and Waiting For Romero To Play are probably my two favorite Doom 2 songs. They might just be the most atmospheric tracks in the game.

I really can't say there's anything in doom I really hate.  All it's little quirks are what make it so unique.  If I absolutely had to answer, blockmap bug.  But even then, it doesn't bother me.

None of the original designers ever really figured out how to use Pain Elementals and make them feel like valuable encounters. 

Doom 2/Final Doom didn't incorporate some of the engine tweaks that had been added for Heretic/HeXen. (Missed opportunity.)

The Doom 3 Shotgun.