Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

What are your objectives for 2020? (Doom Edition)

7 minutes ago, Firedust said:

@Roofi so when's necromantic thirst coming out :p

According to my estimations, I think it will be released in 2050. :)

6 minutes ago, Roofi said:

According to my estimations, I think it will be released in 2050. :)

So around the same year as BTSX E3 and TNT: Revilution then. And what a year it's going to be! I'm sure my grandkids are gonna love it.

My goal for Doom engine modding in the coming year boils down to the same nutshell as for all the other stuff I've been working on: finish unfinished business.  I've got too many half-done maps, wads, mods, tools, et cetera cluttering up my hard drive space and my headspace and it's high time to really knuckle down and organize it, polish it, be done (or at least "done") with it and have a clear slate for new stuff going forward, whether that be more Doom engine modding or exploring other stuff.  But the rule's going to be no new mods until I'm done with the ones I've already started.

As far as playing goals, that's kind of whatever, I don't feel much of a need to set goals there, but actually playing through SIGIL would be a good one (by the time I got the box copy I'd kind of lost the hype and it ended up getting shelved next to the D!ZONE boxes and not touched since...)

Oh man, I have so much work to do and there's all these distractions and shit.

• I'll be getting my map for Doomkid's Powertrip: Rowdy Rudy II finished for sure. It's on the very top of my list and about 3/4 done at the moment.
  • Vilecore 1.2 may get finished in 2020 as it's coming along nicely. The revision of my n00b1c megawad from 2000 is essentially what I should have done to it in the first place. Keeping it vanilla with new titlepic, some new textures, architectural tweaks, fixed stuff like inescapable death pits and other weirdness, etc...
  • Vilecore 2. Just gonna get more work done on it in 2020, that's for sure. Since I released the original in 2000, this megawad has seen many changes. It started out essentially what 1.2 is, but instead of an update like it was supposed to be, it turned into it's own beast. Now it's a GZDoom, UDMF, megawad with 32+ levels, 3d floors, slopes, decorate monsters, secret maps and other goodies. Before I went to UDMF, I had the map order changed, then some of the original maps got remixed. For example, the Energy Well level in Vilecore got destroyed and it's now a bit of a sinkhole / ruin. So it takes place on the same planet as the first, some 50ish years in the future and you visit revisit some levels and encounter totally new maps.
  • 25in2018 is a map I started for Doom's 25th and somehow never got to finish. I should probably do that.

There's other stuff I have in the works but that's all on the back burner for the most part.

Possibly to start making a Doom 2 2D Metroidvania map by incorporating Doom 3's SDK for additional stuff (like checkpoints)

do nothing, i guess. seeing how unsuccessfull i was with this goal in 2019, i think i should try harder in 2020.

to actually release some wads. ive been mapping for 12 years at this point but ive barely released anything so im not improving a whole lot without getting criticisms and stuff.

Gonna make some simple goals...
-Release a personal boom mapset that i've been working on for some time
-Finish all the contributions i have to make

And also the same goal i had for 2017
-Complete darkmoon with the highest quality possible

Of course, my goal is to keep on working on my wad and finally make up a name for it. Right now map 32 is the map in progress, but I need to do a few things first: 

• Adjust the difficulty. I might replay what I finished on UV on a lower difficulty for that reason to see an example. 
  • Learn how to actually add textures, because I either am breaking my wad or causing hall of mirrors effects. 

Only then I'll post more maps. I just don't wanna repeat the mistake of posting patch after patch as I think my work is ready while the quality is low. 

- To finish and release my MegaWAD Final Scourge (i changed the named previously Scourge V).

-finish my megawad

-put in more frequently, small units of work into things that I want accomplished instead of overreaching and burning out

Dip into community projects perhaps, or maybe start a new project myself. Not sure which yet.

• To conquer Icarus, 99 Ways To Die, Momento Mori II, and any other notable megawads from '96 (my cutoff point for old-school waddige)
  • Destroy Final Doom on UV (only ever done it on HMP, and I'm ashamed)
  • SIGIL it up a bit
  • Also get those other two Romero ones he did recently (it's like he released two singles, then an EP)
  • Possibly reinstall Quake and get funky on that
  • Massive DOOM back-tatt
  • Remodel my house so it looks like Entryway
  • Stop posting so much stupid crap on this forum
Edited by Maximum Matt

Knock my head against a wall and shorten learning curve with Heretic mapping. The wooden puzzles I got for Christmas... I don't know if I ever be able to do anything intelligent in my life, including mapping.

Here's a few plans I got laid out for the next decade:

1 - Finish The Mis-Adventures of Dynamite 3D Adventures

2 - Finish The Mis-Adventures of Dynamite Vanilla project

3 - Remake TMoD episode 0 with a fresh coat of paint, fix up the bad level designs and make it worth playing

4 - Start a bitchute channel and maybe review wads and a tutorial series on how to make a megawad. (Not just the levels but all the other nitty gritty bits and bobs).

5 - Play beta 4 of PSX DooM Master Edition

6 - If the tools get released for PSX DooM Master Edition... TMoD on playstation anyone? ;)

• Install Windows in order to help debug Chocolate, PrBoom+, SLADE, EE, ECWolf, and compatibility hacks in ZDoom
  • (thanks @Not Jabba) Avoid committing to anything huge on the wiki not part of my current rotation
  • Reorganize the wiki's SP setup tutorials (building on diligent work by @chungy in 2015) so readers can actually find things
  • 100% no-deaths run of TNT
Edited by Xeriphas1994 : clarify that present situation is my own fault :>

It's been a very quiet year for me on the Doom front. I'm still very busy but I want to turn it around next year, my to-do list has gotten rather long.

First up I'll be finishing a boss theme for Elementalism that I started months ago (I wrote the main riff in June...) then idk, I'm committed to three (4?) projects so maybe I'll rotate between them or something as best I can. Oh and also bully @Dragonfly into making Eviternity 3 :)