Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

DBP19: A Doomer Boards Christmas Carol

Awesome! I was expecting a small 7  maps episode but you guys made a whole godamn megawad :D (Does Billy really have nothing better to do?)

Oh and that Doomguy face Dx

In this instance, Glen, Billy and I got so into making this happen that we had to write a dedication, to our loved ones who lost us for a couple of weeks, in the text file. Billy literally pulled a 20-hour shift to get those hub maps sorted in time! As far as I'm aware, he's asleep at his keyboard right now with a half-finished RC2 credit map open in front of him.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, Doomworld!

Edited by Phobus : It's Christmas

5 hours ago, Phobus said:

Billy literally pulled a 20-hour shift to get those hub maps sorted in time!

Hopefully he doesn't burn himself out if he keeps doing that

Always amazed by how dedicated you guys are to these monthly wads! Some of the best stuff, and it’s at the point where I can always look forward to more it seems. Keep it up!

Please guys!
Consider to add 7 more maps!
This way you will have a proper megawad as a neat gift for christmas.
It will be Doomer Boards first proper megawad...

... And also, a proper new christmas themed megawad other than H2H Xmas.

I'm playing it right now and its a blast!

Thanks you, guys for this amazing christmas gift!

EDIT: or maybe add the maps of the previous year christmas themed wad you guys made. That way there is a full megawad to enjoy for christmas as they were both made in 2019 :D

Edited by P41R47

Thanks for the appropriately warm wishes, y'all! As is becoming a holiday tradition, this was a mad scramble to get out the door on Christmas Eve midnight(ish).

... which does mean we're currently stomping out a few bugs that crawled into our stockings D: Most important to note for those getting a jump on playing the wad is that MAP14 currently needs a ZDoom-based port to be completed. We'll be putting out an RC2 soon, though, that should get everything Crispy/PrB+ -cl2 compatible!!

1 hour ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Thanks for the appropriately warm wishes, y'all! As is becoming a holiday tradition, this was a mad scramble to get out the door on Christmas Eve midnight(ish).

... which does mean we're currently stomping out a few bugs that crawled into our stockings D: Most important to note for those getting a jump on playing the wad is that MAP14 currently needs a ZDoom-based port to be completed. We'll be putting out an RC2 soon, though, that should get everything Crispy/PrB+ -cl2 compatible!!

This totally feels exactly like the map bug H2H-Xmas had in it map14 that needed an unnofficial mapfix to work properly. :D

Probably worth noting that cl9 (or any other Boom-compatible comp level or port) seems ok for MAP14 as well. It's still not the target, but it opens up the ports you can use significantly!

We couldn't miss the perfect opportunity so we will have a Christmas Thursday Night Survival session with this wad today.

The session starts at 19:00 GMT/14:00 EST and you can expect it to be fairly active for at least 4 hours so come join us for some peaceful Christmas demon massacre!

On the topic of bugs here are a few more issues besides MAP14 I noticed:
- MAP04 has three player 2 starts instead of one for each player 2-4 start (this will result in voodoo dolls in coop)
- these maps have no player 2-4 starts: 01, 08, 22, 24
- in MAP18 linedef 1224 uses a Boom action (type 221)

If you upload RC2 before evening we will use that.

1 hour ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

- MAP04 has three player 2 starts instead of one for each player 2-4 start (this will result in voodoo dolls in coop)

I can't believe I did that... How embarrassing!

EDIT: I've patched a copy of my map, so if we get near 18:00 and there isn't an RC2, I'll share the download for the fixed version and you can add it to the loaded WADs, @Keyboard_Doomer

Edited by Phobus

Haha, I have to say that (unfortunately) even some of the best of mappers made a similar mistake with the player 2-4 starts in the past so I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the fix, I'll be watching the thread for updates.

One more thing that might be an issue in coop (at least when there are more than 4 players):

It seems the teleporting lines 5112-5115 in MAP14 are supposed to be used by players but they're all W1 so only 4 players will be able to teleport.

@Keyboard_Doomer Cheers for the detailed feedback! Here's a new release candidate, with changes listed below. Hope you guys have a good playing session!

RC1.666:

*Multiplayer starts in EVERY map, icluding deathmatch and even the placeholder MAP25

*MAP14 gamebreaker fixed

*MAP18 Boom action swapped for standard equivalent

*Big Ol' Billy's sneaky 3 imps in Xmas eve III will sneak no longer

*Added Phobus's MAP04 10 multiplayer adjustments

Edited by Catpho

Thanks for the great wad, we definitely had a fun session with it. The bells turned out to be a source of confusion but they certainly are a nice touch.
As is usual, we encountered some bugs so here they are:

MAP01
A really cosmetic nitpick but it seems the SSG and RL are there only for deathmatch so you can use the "not in coop" flag to restrict them as such. It's a Boom flag but it should just be ignored in any source port that doesn't support it. (The edit is meant for the popular online multiplayer source ports that should all support it.)

MAP12
Possible to get stuck if you don't cross any of the linedefs that open the door at the start and then drop off where the yellow key is.

The lava pit made of sectors 197, 208-210 is not damaging so it's possible to get stuck there.

MAP14
The vanilla/-complevel 2 lost soul limit is 21 but the map has 38 placed lost souls so the pain elementals in the map will be harmless until enough lost souls are killed.

These sectors use the Boom secret flag:
24, 117, 119, 150, 459, 627
In PrBoom+ they will be recognized as secrets regardless of the -complevel but not in other vanilla-compatible source ports.
Out of these sector 119 also has an action assigned (oscillating light) so if you want it to be a secret in vanilla you will have to remove that effect.

This might be intentional but you can already walk around the bars near exit after triggering the tag 3 linedef (line 3759). No need to trigger tag 9.

Just a small visual thing that's most likely not even worth fixing - the tree sprites in this map clipping into the walls results in a weird visual effect. It might not happen when hardware rendering is used, I didn't test.

MAP20
Possible to get stuck between things 47, 244, 245.

MAP22

Sector 210 can't be bypassed from outside once it's closed so in coop players can get stuck.

You might want to add some monster-blocking lines around the snowman at the start to prevent some funny stuff.

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

Thanks for the comprehensive bug report! That should give us enough to make RC2 a proper final release 😁

How do you manage to churn out these things in such a quantity with barely a dud in-between?

Normally such mass productions eventually suffer from loss of quality but here this doesn't seem to happen.

Can someone please explain how to run this mod? I use ZDL. If I put this in mods (external files) it just runs vanilla levels from wads. If I put it in iwads it gives an error. I use gzdoom as source port.

@Valls, you need Doom 2 as your IWAD, then this should just load on top of it as an external WAD. If you're still struggling, upload a screenshot of your ZDL setup before you hit Launch.

I want to die because I want to play all these maps, but I don't have life.

BTW, those intermission maps are awesome.

@Valls Interesting - load order all looks fine to me. Out of interest, try copying both DOOM2.WAD and DBP19xmas2_RC1.666.wad in with your GZDoom executable, then drag and drop just DBP19 onto that executable. It should auto-detect the IWAD in the same folder and launch as expected.

In which case, you may want to copy all of your IWADs in with GZDoom and then remap your ZDL appropriately. That's how I've got mine set up and it works nicely.

I downloaded version from moddb and it works! Thanks for trying to help anyway!

dang, billy knocked it out of the park with these narrative/framing maps. really cool way to tie a project together!