Sprites: Stopsignal
Sounds: Id Software, Freesounds.org, edited by Stopsignal
Idea Base: Original

Slippery little imps armed with shotguns. They attack, laugh, and retreat to
hide, and can be incredibly bothersome in groups. They riddle the ground
with mines and camp you behind corners. Use a chaingun to easily dispatch
them.

bCJZPGr.png   p3BBEpw.png    F64NDMM.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCvSstPisFnbrD5aOo7N9cSM6rWYJ1fK/view?usp=sharing

realm667 (not updated): https://realm667.com/index.php/en/beastiary-mainmenu-136-69621/doom-style-mainmenu-105-73113/2150-horned-imp

Pyropork

Spoiler

PYROPORK

HuCwicF.gifrttHUmJ.gifiCJLLz0.gifKnz6urm.giffx4yvwh.gifpIheCfw.gif

Name: Pyropork
Difficulty: Easy
Connection: Uses the fire sprite and fire sound of the Archvile. (easy to change)
Summon: Pyropork
Melee: No
Distance: Projectile
Type: Demon, Could pass as alien
Brightmaps: No
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Code: Conejo
Sounds: Half-Life 1, DooM 2, Left 4 Dead 2
Sprites: Stopsignal, Conejo

Twisted pig demons from hell, with a flamethrower built into their flesh.
They close in fast and scorch you in flames for their enjoyment. They can explode, so don't let them get close.
Exorcise them with a good few shotgun shots.

q8r0c4V.png  l53H24f.png

LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GhiTC4vNj6sDvsN8o0g-BFJCWdyV2VfF/view?usp=sharing

Feverishly Tired Creative Notes:

Spoiler

PYROPORK

hhI5kGKl.png

It doesn't look like much, but i think this is the set of sprites i put the most work in. I really did try to make it fit as much as possible with doom's "sprites from photos taken of toys" aestethic and though i failed in a big way in some aspects, i still think it's good enough!

It's a bit too bright next to Doom's monsters (even after darkening it a bit) and some parts like the ass and the chest look weird in comparison to the rest of the creature. Also, i should have been a bit less shy with the shadows.
I do love the arms and the head, tho!
Some parts were really hard to animate, like the whole gas-tank-in-the-flesh thingamajig. I still have no idea how to make it move subtly enough to look like its moving with the pig's back while it's walking without completely destroying its shape and make it deform like quake's weapons. Welp!
The amount of effects it has (the fires on the ground and the smoke) make them clash a bit with Doom's rather simple in functionality beastiary, but i do like the details quite a lot. Also you can easily take them off if it's too much. I do say, however, that the fire before attacking and the smoke serve as an indicator that it's about to attack and that it can't attack. So do it at your own risk!
The whole deal of randomly having a leak and exploding is weird. It was originally supposed to only happen if it was hit in the back, but it proved too bothersome to code, so the low chance to explode works as well.

I do like how it easily can serve the role of semi-meatshield zoner that the pinkie has, while being different enough to play against.
It also doesn't go against the doom "dance around the monsters" gameplay, so it can fit quite easily into a lot of maps without much trouble.
The ranged attack is balanced by its chance to just outright die and hurt other enemies, so it doesn't tank as much as the pinkie most of the time.
I was going to make it go slower than the pinkie even, but left it with 10 speed because it's still quite slow anyways. You can always change it if you want!

Anyways, had a blast doing this creature! The design pushed me to finish it, as i really loved the long nosed pig aardvark idea. Also i'm quite proud of its animations and how it looks, and how the quality (specially in the frontal frames) is quite, quite good for me. Lots of personal errors that i'm slowly ironing off in the art department, but great enough!

Chubbs

Spoiler

CHUBBS

ooU30td.gifIInHlBF.gif  EXRII8Z.gif  Y9Ilura.gif  voa4v5l.gif

Name: Chubbs
Connection: Uses the baron's fireball sprites.
Summon: Chubbs

Code: Stopsignal

Small snorting imps that shoot a barrage of fireballs to anything they don't like. Easy to kill, but hard to hit due to their size, they will pester you from afar without stopping. Prioritize and snipe unless you are good evading fast projectiles.
Could be used as a projectile based alternative to the Chaingunner.

I'm quite happy with these guys. They are ridiculously cute to me for some reason. I might be getting too attached to these hideous monsters. That's amazing. They have an small chance of just snorting at you wich melts me.

Would be a Chaingunner replacement if i ever made my own wad. Hate hitscans, hate effective snipers, however i do like the "pressure in a zone" vibe the Chaingunners have. Solution? Make a projectile based chaingunner. Slower, hits harder, ala Arachnotron. 

Animations are kinda weird sometimes, and i hate doing back animations (boring) however this wasn't too bad. It's the monster with the most frames until now. 6 frames of walking each rotation!!! Like 6 just to start attacking, then 4 each attack cycle! I had to use a whole other name convention for the death frames as i didn't have enough space. Quite proud of this one. Love to see it walking around, and the pig sounds are great. Love pigs merged with demons, i'm finding. Always liked the Pig undead of Minecraft when i was a kid (though it's got a big stigma this days so it's weird to talk about that game lol), so i guess it comes from there.

I'm also realizing i may be doing my monsters too small. Bigger stuff coming. Badder too.

UfZg1zK.gif  h4gj0y2.gif

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L30gGjQZH4nVYlSL4IxI7-HiY0V_1WCp/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Stopsignal

19 minutes ago, 00_Zombie_00 said:

Master, I really like this monster image.png.fbaab0bc9d72d987701fa37747d8a4d4.pngWhere can I get all the sprites? (I'm going to use it on the infernal map I'm doing)

Here you go! https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15080&start=26520

It's from Shadowcaster, here are the original color sprites if you need'em https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/shadowcaster/sheet/35605/

8 minutes ago, RomDump said:

Amazing sprites. Really like the Rumia death animation, Ash head and Pyropork.

Thanks!! They were really fun projects.

Hey, nice work there. Good shading and gradients. I feel like the Conejo you have reminds me of Daisy in a battle suit to support Doomguy in battle (I assume that was the intent). Regardless, it'd be cool to have that as a support mod. Hint, hint. :) 

Really great job. Awesome monsters and that Pyropork looks really amazing. You seem to have a knack for animation. That little chubs guy looks really, really well animated. Keep it up! 

I was just about to say the same about the Pyropork, that's some serious quality right there, not to mention all the rest of course. I'm sure they will be put to good use, the community really needs more original custom monster sprites. It's always good to see new people joining the fray.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:24 PM, Job said:

Hey, nice work there. Good shading and gradients. I feel like the Conejo you have reminds me of Daisy in a battle suit to support Doomguy in battle (I assume that was the intent). Regardless, it'd be cool to have that as a support mod. Hint, hint. :) 

I mean, if people really do want it, i can ask my friend to see if he is ok with sharing! I drew it for them specifically, so i wouldn't just share it outright. But i can ask, of course.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:42 AM, elend said:

Really great job. Awesome monsters and that Pyropork looks really amazing. You seem to have a knack for animation. That little chubs guy looks really, really well animated. Keep it up! 

Thanks a lot! I work as a pixel artist, but i am studying animation, always loved it.

23 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I was just about to say the same about the Pyropork, that's some serious quality right there, not to mention all the rest of course. I'm sure they will be put to good use, the community really needs more original custom monster sprites. It's always good to see new people joining the fray.

Thanks!! I do think the same, hahahah. Too many Baron variations, hahahah

I hope i get to continue a bit with the Abutor today, but this stuff takes weeks, just saying

I got this i made the other day, showing more or less the process of drawing a rotation of one of this creatures (i had already posted the video in the other forum, but i really don't want to spam that much). The process is draw rotations > walking - aiming - attack - hurt and then the deaths, which are really fun to do. The animation frames are all based on the first rotations however, as drawing everything from scratch would be a ton of work, though it would be the final stroke to give it that doom "made from photos" feel their sprites have.

Also i'm thinking of making an Xdeath to the Chubbs. So that's probably coming as well. This is important if anyone using the sprites already!

EDIT: Update! More frames for the Chubbs!

z7nAebG.gif

Had to make the XDeath of this dude! It is not big, after all.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h7msmgo70fsf2yu/ChubbsXDeath.rar/file

Also, did a mockup for a redrawn Pyro Succubus.

original:

Q5pfP5G.png

edit:

RTzFr2K.png

EaHasCz.png

Gotta be honest, i never ever liked the original sprite. Weird body, weird proportions, anime style eyes, pillowshading. Personal opinion, i guess! But instead of just throwing bad words i'm gonna redraw it completely to my liking! When i can. Gotta make time for the Abutor first, hahahaha

Edited by Stopsignal

dFfkIAj.png

Some work in progress of this https://www.deviantart.com/deimos-remus/art/DOOM-Barons-of-Hell-680069901 guy i found in a thread around here! I really like it, and i'll probably finish the base sprite at some point, though i'm not sure i'll make any full spritesets of this guy at all.

r3OppuD.png

Also a cleaned up sprite of the Succubus as it had some big lighting issues i didn't even see when my tired ass was drawing it. So, there it is! More hips, rejoice.

Should probably stop fooling around and continue with the Abutor. Here is a concept drawing of him because i was bored:

Warning, big

Spoiler

ZqENITO.png

These are amazing, you have some serious talent! That concept art is beautiful.

I'm very, very excited about the Abutor -- something about it just screams Doom to me. Any thoughts on what kind of attacks he'll have?

Thanks!!! I'm still not sure yet:

I want them to give off this air that they are too important a demon to take you seriously, coming at you slowly but surely, but at the same time that they are kinda strange, a little bit broken, with their necks twitching sometimes and making weird noises. 

I do want them to have a forward charge with the blade arm in case you get close, damaging and closing in. You'll definitely won't be able to melee them, as they'll also slash in fron't of them, like a revenant that also moves towards you a lot more with each punch.

At the same time i want some kind of range powerful attack that shows the "too important for you" kind of power, and i think some LOS attack that damages you and moves you towards them would be ideal. Not as much damage as the Archvile, but still enough. This attack would be shown with them rising their arm and closing their fist, and would trigger the charge if it grabs you (though it should give you enough time to run away)

So, basically, a melee enemy that pulls you towards him with an archvile attack, then charges forward to meet you and damage you, and then revenant punches you to death. It is not the fastest enemy, but that's the point, it makes you go towards him, he doesn't hurry after you.

This is all just conceptual and really subject to change, though!

Damn, that sounds like an incredibly creative and fun enemy design! Now I'm even more excited!

I'm curious if the feature of "pulling" the player towards him is something that's possible in limit-removing / boom compatibility. I'm just thinking, if this were DECORATE, you could easily use something like A_RadiusThrust with a negative value to achieve the effect, but I don't know what sort of possibilities there are for non-DECORATE formats/compatibilities. I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone much more knowledgeable than myself.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this enemy! 

Best of luck, sir!

Chubbs released!

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/forum-board/beastiary/1383-submission-an-update-chubbs-horned-imp-update

Also updated the Imp quite a bit. I'm really tired right now but i'll edit the links here accordingly later! And possibly some other details.

Spoiler

Name: Chubbs
Connection: Uses the baron's fireball sprites.
Summon: Chubbs

Code: Stopsignal

Small snorting imps that shoot a barrage of fireballs to anything they don't like. Easy to kill, but hard to hit due to their size, they will pester you from afar without stopping. Prioritize and snipe unless you are good evading fast projectiles.
Could be used as a projectile based alternative to the Chaingunner.

UfZg1zK.gif  h4gj0y2.gif
v0BsnSH.png

link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L30gGjQZH4nVYlSL4IxI7-HiY0V_1WCp/view?usp=sharing

Update to the Horned Imp:
ZQk8qTP.png

-New Hurt frames, so it shows the damage feedback better.
-Completely reworked code. Less spaghetti, easier to edit.
-It has less life, its painchance is now 100% so you actually can stop it from running away with the chaingun, and puts less mines, more consistently, which deal less damage. It also runs away less before stopping. Doesn't shoot while running anymore.
.Changed the name to Grin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCvSstPisFnbrD5aOo7N9cSM6rWYJ1fK/view?usp=sharing

Happy holidays!

EDIT: Added some old work too, the Barona and the Fimp. Old requests, based them on the HDoom sprites. Not the proudest legacy IMO but apart from the faces those are really, really good sprites. Really like how the Barona turned out, not so much with the Imp. Also i wanted her nipples brown to complement the skin but the requester said to just leave it like that!

jXXkgHf.png
Barona
Based on Hdoom's sprites. Just changed the face. Warning: No rotations on the attack.

FyZhz0f.png
Fimp
Based on Hdoom's sprites again. Used the Hellion's face. I put her here to archive, as i'm pretty sure there are way better female imp sprites out there.

One day i'll make the images animated so it's cooler to see.

Edited by Stopsignal

Just wanted to stop by and say keep it up! You're doing good work!

9 hours ago, Stopsignal said:

i want the first frames of the animation to have some kind of effect to make it really obvious it has started to charge up, so i just started with the middle to see how i'd go from there!

Some sort of glowing hands effect similar to the Baron's might draw more attention to the hand. Maybe it could glow stronger in intensity as it counts. At the same time an instant streak of some effect/color as it raises up its hand to count could do the trick too.

9 hours ago, Stopsignal said:

Also figured i'd share this! It's a few months old, but i loved doing it. Maybe i finish it some day! It would only have one rotation though. Kind of a one-shot scare, but pretty interesting one.

To me this is both a reference to The Evil Dead (the classic ending of the first movie) and The Thing. I love this one!

On 1/14/2020 at 2:10 PM, UndeadRyker said:

Some sort of glowing hands effect similar to the Baron's might draw more attention to the hand. Maybe it could glow stronger in intensity as it counts. At the same time an instant streak of some effect/color as it raises up its hand to count could do the trick too.

Took your glowing hand idea! I had some kind of "growing a red ball and then squishing it" thing but realized it was weird, looked weird, and didn't really go with the whole character. Yours is better! I'll try to avoid the first frames color streak for now (i'll try to see if i can get some visual&sound effect when the archvile like attack starts, but if it is not effective i'll resort to that!

Also it's very possible you saw the reviving corpse, indeed! I remember sharing it on Discord some time ago.

And thanks, y'all! I absolutely didn't expect that much good vibes from all of you, it's great! I hope you all really like this dude when it gets finished.

Also, because i don't like to post without having anything to show for:

38ThEFC.gif

wall of text about it:

Spoiler

Basically a mockup of how the animation would end up. As you can see, parts are badly drawn or missing: this is basically an sneak peek at my animation process. First you gotta have the motion down, before even starting to draw all the sprites. Get the movement right, and then start adding detail and fixing. It's all about feel.

Doing something experimental with the head motion there. I'll probably change it to be way less exaggerated (as in, barely moving the head's angle rather than making it flip out), looking at it now. I want to add some of those to a few of the animations, and a random chance for it to play in the idle frames too, and the walking ones. Could be really good, could look really lame. I'll have to see how it goes, i guess! In any case, it'd be really easy to take out if you'd be using it for a mod or a custom creature.

(thinking about it, i might do a tutorial of how i do sprites one day, for now if you are interested maybe the badly edited progress videos can help somewhat, but it's not ideal)

As you see, i'm going really really slowly. Lot's of stuff happening and work and beer to drink don't leave me much drawing time, however i absolutely am finishing this before i get back to class. That's a promise to myself, there.

EDIT: Completed!

eZz7lor.gif

Now to do the Idle, the Walk, the two melee attacks and the Raise. Raise would be kinda based of this one and the attacks would look kind of the same except for the timing and effects, so it won't be THAT much work.

Edited by Stopsignal

Anyways!
I suddenly fell in love with pigs. I love their faces, their noises, the fact that they are horribly weird yet look mildly cute in a way. Reminds me of the stuff i like to draw!

Say welcome to the PigMan. Most possibly a playerskin that's gonna be drawn after the Abutor. Or maybe after the Red Monkey, another creature i want to draw. Hm!

STzv6DB.gif   wXIHVLW.gif

ihxEKXZ.png

0s7GqoK.gif

Get him here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/iw66uv2vy9icgaf/Face_Pig.wad/file

Continuing the Abutor soon! Had to do this one as a needed rest.

That looks incredible, I saw it in the other thread. Quite a unique spin on the player face! You have an amazing attention to detail and some wicked creativity. I have to ask, is the first one on the third row down (with the halo and solid yellow eyes) the invulnerability face?

On 1/26/2020 at 1:23 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

That looks incredible, I saw it in the other thread. Quite a unique spin on the player face! You have an amazing attention to detail and some wicked creativity. I have to ask, is the first one on the third row down (with the halo and solid yellow eyes) the invulnerability face?

Hey, thank you so much!!
Indeed! Added the halo because it goes with the theme: the character wants to get out of hell. So i guess when time comes to make the invulnerability pickup, i'll do a halo!

Edit:
M2xDPdX.gif
Animating the lunge! It still needs some frames to stop after lunging, but coming along. Sloooowwwly.

Edited by Stopsignal

Sure! Again, it'd only have one rotation. Should be simple.

Continuing really slowly on the Abutor. I just got tired of animating, that's all. Gonna continue soon!

mC7wxjA.gif
(still needs a few tweaks, make him hang longer with the arm stretched out, animating the meat strings, etc)

For now i have started on the Pigman.

7WrTV8H.png

He's just an angry, tired but determined creature. Mixture of doomguy, demon legs and a pig head. I don't know really what i was thinking when i came up with the concept but i like it visually. I really like pigs. It's this disgusting flesh creature that is associated with repulsion and weird noises. Also with prosperity, so yeah.

He's bleeding from the stomach. This is because of the concept of the main gun of the mod: A Meat Shotgun. Run out of ammo? That's fine: you can always use your own flesh.

Also some more future monsters!

KgxB9Za.png
Tindalo Dogs.
Just small pest enemies that would be really really fast and lunge at you. 
Based their design originally on this guy:
7L1B9b7.png
Does someone know from what painting is it from? I totally lost it.

VP0xCyw.png
Slave
Tall, slow (actually, normal speed, but slow for the mod) creatures that throw blood projectiles in a shotgun patter by squeezing their guts which everyone tells me look like a big dick so i should probably change the design somewhat. Tho it kinda adds to the weirdness of it, so who knows! I really like this design. Also the colours are whack, needs a complete recolor.

M9lC88j.png
Red Angel
Will probably behave just like really aggressive imps. Will have a flying variant. May change between the two at will, haven't decided that yet. I did it for a tutorial on this forum which i don't think i have shared in this thread yet? Hm. Need to continue that thing too.

Slowly but surely doing stuff! Did these designs as a rest from animation, but may continue soon. It's so close, i don't know why i am not doing it. The same happened with the Chubbs monster! Just gimme time, hahaha

Edited by Stopsignal

Thanks y'all! And well, i'm from south america, so i just wrote it like that, hahahah

it also let's me do the oh sharona joke by saying oh barona and i love it