Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

What do you think of Doom's future?

What do you think will happen to doom in the next decade?

I think i'll be quite the bright decade!

New Doom games will attract old and new folks to the classics, technological advacements will lead to the Doom engine achieving greater hights than never before and looking at how the quality of Wads progressed through this decade stuff will get better and better :D

The only thing uncertain to me is what new ground will be broken!

Aye, it's going to be a... groovy decade 1.0 .

On a more serious note, it looks bright to me too with new games coming out, resurrection of classic Doom through multiple, multiplatform re-releases and remasters, and the community appears to be getting bigger, not smaller. Oh and quality stuff is still coming out on a steady basis.

I was intrigued by the launch of Ion Fury earlier in the year. Who would have thought that there would ever be a Build Engine game for the PlayStation 4? I have no idea how many units it shifted, but Id's decision to keep the original Doom as a catalogue title long after it was a "thing" seems a smart move in retrospect. It'd be fascinating if they hired John Romero et al to make a commercial sequel to Doom 2, with 32 new maps and perhaps one or two extra weapons.

It would sell a tiny fraction as many units as the actual Doom 2 and it would mostly be a novelty, but at this point the only costs would be the fees of the level designers. They could tell the designers that mean old John Carmack no longer works for Id, that might encourage them to come back.

Or alternatively they could just download a lot of a stuff from DoomWorld and burn it into a CD.

Once Disney acquires the rights and opens a theme park attraction it'll be properly mainstream and we won't need to explain the franchise to people anymore.

I swear there was a thread about the future of Doom, or the community, or modding or something like that recently, but I can’t find it!

Heres a much more negative take on the same question from 2 years ago. Looks like Doomers have been aware that the present is bright and the future only looks brighter for quite a while now!

I think Doom grew past the point we should care if it's going to "die" or not. It will definitely "outlive" all of us like most stuff that reaches the, so to speak, "culture phenomenon" status.

I can't guarantee you'll enjoy its community forever though.

Heh. 

I've been gone for a long time.  I haven't thought about doom in years.  I decided to check if this site still existed. Man...  It's as busy as it was in the '90s, maybe more so.  Still new mods being created and all that good stuff. 

If Doom is not dead yet I don't know what could happen to kill it.

The next ten years should see the game continue on like it always has.

I'm optimistic. The new Doom entries, despite what you may think of them, provide more content for discussion and brings new members to keep the current community alive.