Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clay

Just my first Boom map.

Yeah thanks for that. My browser crashed and I forgot to re-add the images.

Neat map. Gave it a spontaneous try, with not much knowledge of your style but only the mapwich map and hurt, and no screenshots, so what I saw looks true to that similar aesthetic: libraries, some brown bricks, the symbol on a carpet, a semi-circular room with pain sector, and a hell-ified touch towards the end.

Few things to consider: 

- Make sure that every hanging corpse that is on active space, and doesn't play any particular role other than decoration, is non-blocking, because in prboom+ it's infinitely tall. On the subject of "particular role", if for example you want corpses to intentionally block a way, like a soulsphere or any item so you're supposed to access to it from another point, then that's pretty cool and rare.

- A backpack, or scrap the two cell packs that clip on the marble switch, because you already get 240 cells and plenty rockets to deal with everything prior the finale.

- Also move the ammo less closer to the switch so it doesn't float. 

- Three armors are too much, the second blue armor should be out imo, as it makes the third one redundant. Perhaps a soulsphere instead if you want on lower skills.

- Mmm few misaligned textures in the monster closets. 

- So you can go through the midbars and jump on the courtyard, might want to set the line impassable if that's unintended.

In particular I liked the final area the most, the crushers do add a twist that could screw with strafing if one isn't paying attention.

I made this FDA for funsies, essentially a blind run, I hadn't used prboom+ in like two months and the laggy framerate always weirds me out at first, I'm more of a Crispy player. fdabygal.zip

Good job Clay, keep it up!

10 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I hadn't used prboom+ in like two months and the laggy framerate always weirds me out at first

Try GLBoom+ in that case, or perhaps use PrB+ in windowed mode. Not sure what type of "lag" you're referring to, but one of those two suggestions might fix your problem.

48 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Try GLBoom+ in that case, or perhaps use PrB+ in windowed mode. Not sure what type of "lag" you're referring to, but one of those two suggestions might fix your problem.

Paraphrasing myself better, with "lag" I mean that my movement isn't as smooth to me as it is in Crispy all the time, excepting only Hellbound map 29. This is mostly a sensation for the first minutes and specially after using nothing else than Crispy for days, not a big deal actually. If there's an actual problem I don't know how to solve is that on any resolution that isn't 1600x900 or 320x200 the screen doesn't scale correctly, I think it's something to do with the aspect ratio that prb/glb doesn't fix it or whatever. Mine is 16x9 and most sunder maps lag like hell even forcing a lower res, even on hardware mode. I have not tried on windowed, yet, will see. I also named prboom instead because I know Clay isn't very familiarized with the port, but I typically use glb+. 

tl;dr the issue is that my laptop has outdated drivers, which I can't do anything about unfortunately.

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Neat map. Gave it a spontaneous try, with not much knowledge of your style but only the mapwich map and hurt....

I didnt make hurt. That was @elend But thats still flattering LMAO!!

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

- Also move the ammo less closer to the switch so it doesn't float. 

Dang. I thought I fixed that already! Thanks! Going to look into your other feedback as well.

7 hours ago, GrogLoopy said:

Man, if these are the standards for "first maps" nowadays... I've got a pretty high bar to reach.

First "Boom" map. I have quite bit more experience these days. I did make a 7-map Wad called "Bloody Sunday" when when starting out with this stuff but I trashed it.

I played this just now and also noticed the pass-through bars into the courtyard right at the beginning. Also, for me the red door didn't open, even though I had the red key? Very strange. Other than that, it looks rather awesome. I just died during the Cyberdemon fight. Have to cheat later. xD

Yeah the cyber fight is hard but fun. This will be the third time setting the bars to impassable. Finger crossed. The door should work but just incase I re did the whole thing. Thanks for playing mate!

On 1/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, GrogLoopy said:

Man, if these are the standards for "first maps" nowadays... I've got a pretty high bar to reach.

yeah. please, people, can you return to "boxes connected with boxes" first maps, so i can keep at least part of my broken ego? ;-)

So after completing Doom 64 For Doom 2 i totally forgot about this map =( since i didn't added to my menu  , but  i've just finished it  , it starts as a normal map , it gets a bit complicated after you open the blue door , and ends with a complex fight against those 3 cyberdemons , man that was really a hard fight until i managed to destroy them 

This is a nice, short, hard and well designed level. 
Do more please 

PS: I've played it on DosBox using Marine Best Friend v2.04-snm10 and it runs great :)