Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Where to buy games these days + do you preorder?

4 hours ago, seed said:

I could never understand what happens in the case of the games that get a glowing reception before release and almost zero mentions of bugs, and after release, they turn out to be a complete disaster in this department. What the hell did those people play?

What do you expect is happening here?

The producing company is handing out some copies with a long string of conditions attached to obey, or else...

Anybody who writes a genuine review on such a preview title will never ever get another pre-release version to review ever again.

In all honesty, printed gaming magazines are all garbage because everybody expects them to have a review on release but nobody asks how this should be doable without selling out - I guess many websites operate the dame way.

The only way to get a real opinion is from someone not dependent on the producers.

8 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

What do you expect is happening here?

The producing company is handing out some copies with a long string of conditions attached to obey, or else...

Anybody who writes a genuine review on such a preview title will never ever get another pre-release version to review ever again.

In all honesty, printed gaming magazines are all garbage because everybody expects them to have a review on release but nobody asks how this should be doable without selling out - I guess many websites operate the dame way.

I know many "critics" write dishonest "reviews" with inflated ratings, and some companies even bribe them to do so, but at the same time I don't think every single one of them can be thrown into that category.

But otherwise I agree, you really do have to look out for independent critics to get an honest opinion these days.

On 9/29/2019 at 12:07 AM, Teabλg_Johnson said:

I pirate.

Uh, some games are actually good and deserve attention and money.

these sites often sell stolen copies, causing even more trouble for devs than if you just torrented the game directly.

These days gog is getting popular because they seem to be consumer friendly, steam still has the same reputation it had for a decade I think so that's the best ways to get pc games these days. As excited as I am for eternal, I wouldn't recommend pre ordering it, chances are it's going to be great anyways when it comes out, watch a review or two and buy it if you think it's worth it. Just play some other games while you're hyped

Edited by ([zen3001])

Steam and gog. I don't tend to preorder (might for Doom Eternal but I know I really shouldn't) but I'll buy into early access if its something I really want to succeed, so I got Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Fury in early access and will probably get Wrath and Prodeus when they enter it too. 

I barely buy any games anymore, and when I do it’s usually on Steam sale...when I was younger I used to play a wide variety of games now I just tend to focus on a few select games.

That said I pre-ordered Doom Eternal

On 11/21/2019 at 12:31 PM, Teabλg_Johnson said:

i'm not going to pay for them

Then you are a real *******, seriously.

Look at the indie game market if you want a point. 

Spoiler

Some indie games are made almost entirely by 1 person (e.g Distriant - a psychological horror 2D sidescroller) and they have gameplay/story as good as high budget games.

In the case of AAA and old games though, that really depends.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

On 9/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, Szuran said:

Ok, thanks for explanation. I'm too old for this.

keys are ingame items to open tf2's lootboxes, how ever people preffer trading them for other game items since that gets you way cheaper results

On 11/22/2019 at 7:49 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Then you are a real *******, seriously.

Look at the indie game market if you want a point. 

Reveal hidden contents

Some indie games are made almost entirely by 1 person (e.g Distriant - a psychological horror 2D sidescroller) and they have gameplay/story as good as high budget games.

In the case of AAA and old games though, that really depends.

Sure, if you wanna call me that. I'm still not paying a cent and frankly, you shouldn't rely on creating games as a financial resource unless you're willing to make boring candycrush-type hentai games or you're a big corporation that already made a name for itself.

1 hour ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

you shouldn't rely on creating games as a financial resource unless you're willing to make boring candycrush-type hentai games or you're a big corporation that already made a name for itself.

Wow, living in the past much?

Maybe that's how people want to make a living and a name for themselves? Their vocation, and what they chose as their career? You should tell the content creators the same thing.

Mainly Steam or gog.com these days. 

I was no stranger to so-called "casual copying" back in the 1990s but these days it is much harder to put forward a strong moral argument for pirating PC games, especially in the case of the indie titles that are selling on the usual digital distribution sites for under £10 and sometimes even under £5 - also bear in mind that PC games typically are roughly the same price as they were in the 1990s, meaning that in real terms they have gone down somewhat when accounting for inflation.  Usually if you find games on Steam or gog to be overpriced you can just wait around for the next sale and find a good offer - sometimes you can even get several games for the price of one in a bundle.  As for the indie developers, the main danger is that if their games don't sell well enough, they may be more likely to decide that it's not worth continuing to develop indie games.  While many aren't necessarily in it primarily for the money, the money tends to be one of several factors that gives them more of an incentive to keep going.

9 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

but these days it is much harder to put forward a strong moral argument for pirating PC games

As a random fact more than anything, I kinda have 2 reasons for still doing this sometimes (how moral they might be, I care not :p ):

- protest against a publisher/developer - if they want to keep being assholes and treat their customers and fans like shit, then I will be an asshole too.

- game is no longer commercially available - I never really managed to understand the reselling/trading aspect honestly. I've always hold the view that I should either buy the game myself if I'm interested, or stay away from it. The devs should be the ones getting my money for their work, not someone else, while trading always made me feel, well, strange, can't really describe the feeling in words honestly, so I never engaged in this either. I mean, I've never traded or bought second-hand goods (for that matter) my whole life, so... And if the game happened to no longer be available commercially, I resorted to piracy because a) most copies of the games I was interested in were only sold only bundled with games I had no interest in, and b) the sellers were either fanboys, collectors, or a combination of both, which resulted in them outright refusing to sell the product to someone they deemed "unworthy", in addition to the game being sold for very high prices. These people can just piss off, they're not getting my money. Like ever. Oh but wait, it gets even better, they wouldn't have sold me the product anyway, because I was not "a true fan"1.0 . Just how entitled can some people be I guess.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, seed said:

Wow, living in the past much?

Maybe that's how people want to make a living and a name for themselves? Their vocation, and what they chose as their career? You should tell the content creators the same thing.

Same thing applies to content creators. Relying on an inconsistent hobby that's primarily disguised as a job is one of the many reasons why people are poor-er compared to the ye olde'n days. The fact most of these people rely on financial resources like this only proves this generation lacks the merit and productivity the previous one had.

Past, present or future, my point still stands: You cannot rely on the indie gaming scene as any form of financial gain.