Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MAN_WITH_GUN

Cold Reception - speedmap in 2 days!

Heya. I finally returned to the mapping after a couple of months, and today I decided to release quite my pretty old map in public.

Cold Reception

A boom wad on winter topic, consisting of a main map (Map01) and map-ending (Map02). It's hard to believe, but the map really made in 2 days without any break. The history of its creation was quite simple: There was a competition (not on this forum) where need to make a map in a week. It so happened that I lost almost all the time due to work and exams, so I tried to do something in my last breath. So that's how this wad actually appeared ("._.)

Initially, the map was for a coop, so the gameplay may seem very strange, like all my wads :P

And yes, what else about the gameplay: Maybe not everyone will be like a switch-hunting and wierd combats, so you been warned. And so. . . I have nothing more to say, it's better to play it yourself than read all my nonsense)

Have fun and Happy New Year!

P.S: Everything that was done in except to map 01 was made specifically for the release and was not previously in wad.

Info:

Spoiler

IWAD: Doom 2

Port: Boom

File name: CR.wad

Map: 01 (02-??)

Music: Turrican - The Wall

Board: No freelook

Others: Tiltepic, new skybox and music.

Link:

Screenshot:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20191105_153315.png.bf8e93927ab78093013666653273c755.png

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

I'm not the best player around, but I can't say I enjoyed the map very much. It looks really nice, I'll readily admit it, but all those architectural additions are annoying from the gameplay perspective. Can't pick up a shotgun because the sergeant died right next to a piece of elevated floor and I have to pick it up fast because there are chaingunners and revenants everywhere. Can't run well because I get slightly stuck on ornamental walls or bounce off a crate that looks nice but obstructs movement otherwise. Aforementioned distant chaingunner/revenant combo used everywhere just makes you seek safe corners and peeking out only to fire off one shotgun shot before hiding again. This is especially prevalent in the beginning of the map, where safe corners are rare and much needed. Despite the illusion of an open map there's really only one path to take at the beginning; maybe better players would be able to kill all those hitscanners in corridors filled with monsters, but that's not me. On the other hand, maybe easier difficulty levels would be easier to stomach? I don't know, I've had one hour of free time to play and I honestly can't say I'll be going back to try again, though I'll repeat it, the map on its own looks really nice and is quite challenging, I think, without resorting to slaughterfests, which is a plus in my opinion.

20 hours ago, Leszczynek said:

I'm not the best player around, but I can't say I enjoyed the map very much. It looks really nice, I'll readily admit it, but all those architectural additions are annoying from the gameplay perspective. Can't pick up a shotgun because the sergeant died right next to a piece of elevated floor and I have to pick it up fast because there are chaingunners and revenants everywhere. Can't run well because I get slightly stuck on ornamental walls or bounce off a crate that looks nice but obstructs movement otherwise. Aforementioned distant chaingunner/revenant combo used everywhere just makes you seek safe corners and peeking out only to fire off one shotgun shot before hiding again. This is especially prevalent in the beginning of the map, where safe corners are rare and much needed. Despite the illusion of an open map there's really only one path to take at the beginning; maybe better players would be able to kill all those hitscanners in corridors filled with monsters, but that's not me. On the other hand, maybe easier difficulty levels would be easier to stomach? I don't know, I've had one hour of free time to play and I honestly can't say I'll be going back to try again, though I'll repeat it, the map on its own looks really nice and is quite challenging, I think, without resorting to slaughterfests, which is a plus in my opinion.

Thanks for the informative comment! Yeah, you are the first who decided to try beat this wad on UV, on other difficulty it will be much easier. (It will be not so scary then you'll go outside :D) But if you beat it, then a generous reward awaits you 👀👌

My first try was on UV, but damn, this is a tough one. Now playing on HMP, I got to the area next to where the Revenants are behind the red bars.

I really like this map, the map design, and certainly that awesome music track from Turrican II. But, again...damn, so tough! I mean, you suggest "no freelook", but then you put a couple of Chaingunners way up there behind semi-transparent textures. That's just nasty! :D

And somewhere along the way I hit a switch, I still don't know what that did.

I haven't finished the map yet, will do so tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, CacoLemon said:

My first try was on UV, but damn, this is a tough one. Now playing on HMP, I got to the area next to where the Revenants are behind the red bars.

I really like this map, the map design, and certainly that awesome music track from Turrican II. But, again...damn, so tough! I mean, you suggest "no freelook", but then you put a couple of Chaingunners way up there behind semi-transparent textures. That's just nasty! :D

And somewhere along the way I hit a switch, I still don't know what that did.

I haven't finished the map yet, will do so tomorrow.

That someone really like this wierd mapping style, huh? Glad that you like that one, i was thinking that the most people will shiting me with that kind of gameplay.

Now...how on earth do I get to the Plasma Gun and the Invulnerability Sphere? I think I hit every switch. Even hit a switch that was hidden on the other side of a switch.

3 hours ago, CacoLemon said:

Now...how on earth do I get to the Plasma Gun and the Invulnerability Sphere? I think I hit every switch. Even hit a switch that was hidden on the other side of a switch.

Ha, these secrets are just the hardest thing to find, especially the Plasma Gun. In the case of invulnerability, you just need to carefully examine the surroundings from the window, where this sphere stands.
(Damn necessary thing on UV, huh?)
Plasma Gun is more difficult to find, you can get it only if you are very attentive, peering into every corner.

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

32 minutes ago, CacoLemon said:

That sounds like a challenge, I'll give my best. :D

That's will be interesting, first MAX completed 🤔

Okay, got it. The shootable switch is a cool idea, I should have found this earlier. But that other switch...damn! I searched every inch till I found it.

35 minutes ago, CacoLemon said:

Okay, got it. The shootable switch is a cool idea, I should have found this earlier. But that other switch...damn! I searched every inch till I found it.

100% secrets, damn great job! Now what's the challenge will be, beat this on UV without any die? xd (just kidding, it's a pain)

In any case, thanks for returning to the playthough, I know by myself that most likely I wouldn't have gone through such wads to the end. (I rarely even play wads myself, much less finish them)

Well, the map looks really cool. Sadly I was just running around in circles for hours with no clue where to go or what to do while switch hunting. I finally made it up to the red key then went and hit another switch and then just gave up. So the map looks nice but navigation leaves you lost and confused hunting switches and that's not fun. Challenging map for puzzle lovers.