Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
little egg

what are your thoughts on Perdition's Gate?

Yeah. Some levels are a bit weak, though, but the start at least is spectacular.

I'm playing it right now, completed today MAP13 but so far I'm really liking it, feels like a more polished TNT!

On 1/4/2020 at 8:44 PM, Andromeda said:

I'm playing it right now, completed today MAP13 but so far I'm really liking it, feels like a more polished TNT!

Have you played Perdition's Gate companion .wad? The one named Hell To Pay?
If you play that, you will see the analogies that Hell2Pay and Perdition's Gate had with TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment.

Aside from that, Perdition's Gate is one of my favorite pwads out there, but i think that the short, to the point, hard and challenging style of the maps is more similar to Plutonia than TNT, but yes PG had some bit from both sides as Tom Mustaine made this wad along with his father, and Tom was a member of team TNT, as the Casalli Bros., creator of Plutonia, were also members of team TNT.
As you might see, some of the best authors of the good old days were embers of Team TNT, or worked with member of that team.

If everything goes alright, we can expect a megawad that will act as a secuel to Perdition's Gate; by now there is a little demo with a few maps in the forum, it is called Perdition's Gate: Resurgence

To @little egg, you ask if this one holds up?

Well, yes, pal. This one if a hell of a megawad with very good short maps, with a lot of challenge and a lot of pressure from the hellforces.
It pretty much Plutonia-lite with less punishing gameplay, and more fun maps, and great music.

Edited by P41R47

Visually the maps get weak halfway through, but the gameplay doesn't. Maybe a small handful of duds but I can't think of any off the top of my head (well, the secret maps......). Actually all of my favorite PG maps are in the "visually weak" sections

I'd always heard that it was meant as a third """half""" to Final Doom, but narrowly missed the deadline and wound up getting released through WizardWorks instead of id Software officially. Had it actually made it into Final Doom proper, it'd probably have been my favorite of the three IWADs on offer. (I suspect popular opinion would remain with Plutonia, though. Maybe.)

23 hours ago, Shadow Hog said:

Had it actually made it into Final Doom proper, it'd probably have been my favorite of the three IWADs on offer.

yeah, same here. despite the name (russian-speaking people will understand the joke ;-).

Just played through it all last month. Had an absolute blast! Many of the maps are short and to the point with a good bit of challenge. I'd recommend it to anyone. 

I like Perdition's Gate. I'd say it's about as good as some of the early megawads of the days like Requiem or Memento Mori 1.

I'd say Alex Mayberry did a nice job. All six maps are fun to play. It's a shame a later project took the same name.

It was a long time ago when I played this, but I remember enjoying it and being blown away by the glass floor in one of the secret levels (unless I'm mixing this up with Hell2Pay, which is entirely possible).  The levels were nice and bite-sized and had some interesting ideas.

Hell to Pay doesn't have secret levels -- MAP15 and MAP31 do not have "regular" exits, only "secret" exits, so a playthrough always go through MAP31 and MAP32 and they're fully integrated in the storyline.

Perdition's Gate has secret levels, if you take the "wrong" teleporter on MAP15 you get sent to the "world of living rocks" (MAP31) which has some weird texture and a strange gimmicks of going into a white void, then escaping through the "radioactive sea" (MAP32) which has some impressive glitch exploit to create a "deep water" area with a nukage floor being projected over the regular floor height, and when you fall in you see a nukage ceiling below the regular ceiling height. Of course there's no translucency, but there is sprite overdraw as usual, so you see the monsters "below the surface" when you're above.

44 minutes ago, Gez said:

which has some impressive glitch exploit to create a "deep water" area with a nukage floor being projected over the regular floor height, and when you fall in you see a nukage ceiling below the regular ceiling height. Of course there's no translucency, but there is sprite overdraw as usual, so you see the monsters "below the surface" when you're above.

Thanks for reminding me of this stuff which fails on Eternity :-(

It also fails in any hardware renderer, so in GZDoom you need to put in software mode for this level.

Though the compat handling might be powerful enough to just set up a 3D floor there now.