Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raziel

Question about quality of conversion of Doom 2 to GBA

I was just wondering, how good of a conversion is it? I've heard lots of good things about the conversion. I heard it also includes the arch-vile (I don't think any other console port has had the arch-vile.) Please tell me how it is.

I swear I saw someone talk about this before, but I'll be damned if I can find it again. Let's see what I remember...

The blood is green again, but I believe the Archvile is included. The levels were converted pretty faithfully, but one (can't remember which) was split into 2 maps. The music was converted rather well, as I have heard the ripped tracks from the Doom Depot. The pixels on the screen are doubled horizontally, to reduce rendering load which increases frame rate. I think that some of the textures in MAP31/32 were fudged to remove the swasticas and Hitler's portrait.

If anyone has anything to add or correct, please do so.

the two maps that were split are Industrial ZOne and The Chasm, I believe. From what I hear it's a better conversion than the original.

It's a near perfect port. Everything from the PC is included. All levels, all enemies, awesome music. It's however, censored. There's green blood, no gibbing, and the body parts decorations are missing. The gameplay's all there though.

And yes, the corpses do disappear, but the Arch-vile can still resurrect them. The game's super fast, complete, and the gameplay's all there. If you can get over the green blood and such, it's one of the best GBA games out there.

Why do people consider green blood less offensive than red blood? It's still blood, just a different color. A contrasting color at that.

Is blue blood also less offensive than red blood? Are Cacodemons then non-offensive? Is it less offensive to see a Hell Knight die than an Imp? O_o

The only difference it makes is that Activision can sell the game to a wider age group (thus making more money) instead of just Mature audiences. :P

So if a monster squirting green blood from every conceivable orifice (a la Giants: CK), it's less offensive and therefore more saleable than a bit of red on a few sprites.

Ooooooooo-KAY, Wal*Mart, whatever you say! idiots.

Nanami said:

Why do people consider green blood less offensive than red blood? It's still blood, just a different color. A contrasting color at that.

Is blue blood also less offensive than red blood? Are Cacodemons then non-offensive? Is it less offensive to see a Hell Knight die than an Imp? O_o

Believe it or not some people are so squeemish they sub-consciously react to red blood and find themselves faint or can even throw-up, I've seen it.
But ultimately yes, it's a censorship/sales issue.

I'm new, so I don't know how many of you have this game, or even know of it. But I thought I'd post my thoughts on this game anyway. I just got this today.

For those of you who have played the original Doom for GBA, let's face it: that game sucks horribly. The graphics were incredibly pixilated and it was always hard to see; for all intents and purposes, you were playing as a nearsighted marine. But that wasn't the worst part. The musics were moved around, many levels either had huge chunks removed or were simply deleted, and they had the nerve... the nerve... to remove both the Spider and Cyberdemon from the game! It ain't Doom when the toughest thing you can fight is a Baron of Hell.

But luckily, Doom 2 is far better than the original, mostly because it's in the hands of a better producer. The music isn't like the PC's, but it's the same music. The graphics aren't nearly as bad. I've only played the first two levels so far, and the controls are hard to get used to (you know you have a problem when it takes you three shotgun shells to aim correctly and kill a zombieman). One new perk is that it tells you when you cross into a secret sector (it says "A secret is revealed" on the screen).

Multiplayer is, of course, possible. But you'd have to have x number of GBAs with the same game and a couple of link cables to boot, so it's hard to accomplish.

Anyone else played this yet?

what about the sound? is there stereo sound? I.E. monsters who are on the left will sound in your left headphone speaker while ones on the right sound like they are on the right? In other words, is there stereo/left-right channel seperation?

magikal said:

Believe it or not some people are so squeemish they sub-consciously react to red blood and find themselves faint or can even throw-up, I've seen it.
But ultimately yes, it's a censorship/sales issue.

Jezum Crow, Why don't they just have Stars fly out of them instead of blood then?? :P

Yes, we certainly need three different threads for Doom 2 on GBA in the General section. ^_^

They should have sparks fly out when you hit them, and make clang noises. Or claim it's ketchup.

Ct_red_pants said:

heh. I like the new avatar BTW.

heh, what about mine... :P

Ct_red_pants said:

heh. I like the new avatar BTW.

I just had to get in on the fish avatar scene, so I grabbed the best image editor out there... MS Paint! Actually, it's just because I have to reinstall Photoshop again.

elbryan42 said:

The only difference it makes is that Activision can sell the game to a wider age group (thus making more money) instead of just Mature audiences. :P

Not quite true. I know there are a few countries (Germany for instance) which require blood to be green or the game's banned. What pisses me off is that the guys didn't care enough to make a version for these countries and a "real" one for us less picky folks...

Mods: Thanks for moving my post. Didn't check to see if anyone else is talking about it. Boy do I feel stupid. :-P

no one seemed to reply to my question, so I am going to ask it, again. Does it have left-right channel seperation for monster position (left/right of your character) and channel seperation for the music?

netnomad312 said:

What pisses me off is that the guys didn't care enough to make a version for these countries and a "real" one for us less picky folks...

That would have cost them more money, so of course they didn't do it.

What they could have done is made an option to change the blood, like in Turok. It could use an adaptation of the two color bits that the original Doom used. They could have had green, gray, brown, and red blood! =D Or, you know, different bits to make it green, red, blue, or neon glow in the dark pink.

But of course, that would just take more time and money, so they didn't do it.

Nanami said:

I just had to get in on the fish avatar scene, so I grabbed the best image editor out there... MS Paint! Actually, it's just because I have to reinstall Photoshop again.

I'm still trying to settle on a avatar for this month, maybe my mummy?

Give you a cookie if you can figure out where I got the mummy from.

ravage said:

Give you a cookie if you can figure out where I got the mummy from.

C:\ ?

The reason why I never answered is that I don't use headphones. When I recorded it through the headphone jack I got both left and right channels though. Maybe your headphone adapter is too thin and only hitting one side of the jack at one time.

Bloodshedder Sayeth:

I think that some of the textures in MAP31/32 were fudged to remove the swasticas and Hitler's portrait.

If anyone has anything to add or correct, please do so.

Odd. Wolfenstein 3-D for the GBA is exactly as the original, Hitler, Swastias, blood, you name it, outside of music, it was all there, including the MIDI sound effects.