Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

GZDoom or QZDoom?

I don't understand why you'd do this. QZDoom hasn't had any stable releases in a while now, to the point of being replaced with LZDoom on the ZDoom download page... which in itself is dead due to the port author's internet connection (or lack thereof).

You should just go with the latest GZDoom TBH.

47 minutes ago, Danfun64 said:

I don't understand why you'd do this. QZDoom hasn't had any stable releases in a while now, to the point of being replaced with LZDoom on the ZDoom download page... which in itself is dead due to the port author's internet connection (or lack thereof).

You should just go with the latest GZDoom TBH.

ok

QZDoom is basically there to test complex new features before they're made official in GZDoom. Currently, there are no such feature being tested, so QZDoom is not actively in development. It can certainly be updated regularly to keep its codebase mostly in sync with GZDoom, but that's not really development, it's just simple maintenance to make it easier to bring it out of retirement if needed. But for the time being, there's no real reason to use it.

also, LZDoom (latest development build, BTW) works on older PCs. i have a laptop with Windows XP on it and it works great.

Not really a good question I think.

If I recall correctly, QZDoom was not much more than just an experimental branch for GZDoom features, hence why it was retired.

QZDoom came to life when dpJudas presented his software renderer overhaul, because at that time it could not be integrated into ZDoom, which indirectly meant it could not be integrated into GZDoom as well, so it was created as a superset of both. After ZDoom's development stopped work was done to unify everythingh and since GZDoom 3.0 it has all been merged into one engine. If you ask me, the QZDoom moniker should have been retired at that point because it made no sense anymore.

These days it's really just a testbed for experimental stuff which means it's prone to instabilities but will never have anything that's on anyone's must-have list.

9 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

I switched to QZDoom for the new decade, and right now, it works smoothly. What do you prefer?

GZDoom or LZDoom. Likely the latter because my graphics hardware dates back to the stone age and thus can't use anything that GZDoom offers.

8 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/qzdoom/ also it get a new dev build so lol

What's so lol about it? QZDoom is nowadays a testing ground, back then it was an experimental branch for new stuff by dpJudas merged with Rachaels and Graf's works. And prior to that, it was a collection of branches by Judas that carried no name but unofficially i would call ''dpDoom'' since that was the name of the Github page where all those branches were stored.

After some while, the majority of it got either merged with GZDoom outright, or was hovered over to QZDoom.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

QZDoom came to life when dpJudas presented his software renderer overhaul, because at that time it could not be integrated into ZDoom, which indirectly meant it could not be integrated into GZDoom as well, so it was created as a superset of both. After ZDoom's development stopped work was done to unify everythingh and since GZDoom 3.0 it has all been merged into one engine. If you ask me, the QZDoom moniker should have been retired at that point because it made no sense anymore.

These days it's really just a testbed for experimental stuff which means it's prone to instabilities but will never have anything that's on anyone's must-have list.

And basically this. Its also good that it was removed from the main frontpage for now.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Really? Interesting.

18 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

also, LZDoom (latest development build, BTW) works on older PCs. i have a laptop with Windows XP on it and it works great.

LZDoom is not dead, anyway the latest release was from december. I've received some support and since today i'm back online (before i needed to go somewhere else to fetch and push the code which was painful). I should be able to pay my connection for at least 4 months and i'll try to get an online job (i still suffer tinnitus and hipersensibility and don't go out much but i tolerate somewhat strong noises better now). I'm happy but also feel bad becouse it's very expensive (39€ per month).

Thanks very much!

Good to know XP still runs after the exit cleanup merge, that devbuild still didn't contain anything interesting from an user perspective. I've merged ZMusic and the exit cleanup since they were required for the sound refactor and that's the most important recent feature regarding mod compatibility.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:14 AM, Graf Zahl said:

oh but at least i got GZDoom which you made.