Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Doom(2).exe question

Just a question: if the Doom Source Code had never been released back in '97, this would've meant no source ports.
What do you think would've happened to Doom if there were no source ports, just good old Doom(2).exe?

BigBadGangsta said:

Doom would have been dead by now if not for source ports, IMO.

Doom gods would have been dead by now if not for vanilla doom

999cop said:

Doom gods would have been dead by now if not for vanilla doom

Doom gods = DM
Source ports = SP

How many people Doom DM regularly? Around 100 or so...how many people Doom SP regularly? Millions.

Doom would most likely have ended up like ROTT or Blood. They're good games, and some people still play them, but not very many.

I know they just released the ROTT source code, but that game (especially the full version) is so rare, that it won't have even remotely the same impact as when they released the Doom source code.

But on the other hand, it might have ended up like Duke, with maps still being made, but not on the scale that we see today. And not to mention only a small community instead of the huge one that we have.

(I would have still made maps, though - as they've all been for vanilla except my latest wad)

By the way, it looks like you're in that orange key phase now, heheh.

It just wouldn't be attracting as many new people.
surely would still be going strong. look at quakeworld.

While we're on the topic of Doom(2).exe, I have a DeHacked question.

I formatted my computer not long ago and had to search all my backup files to find Doom.exe so I could get DeHacked to work. It apparently HAS to read Doom(2).exe, and didn't want to work with the copy of Doom95 I had. Anyway, I got it working, it's just that my question is... Is there any way to avoid using the original .exe in case I ever happen to misplace my original copy?

Oh, and UD, you should use a pink key. =P Actually, seriously, white might be neat. Dark purple could be the "evil key." Muhahaha.

Nanami, I'm not sure if I understand your question but I do know that you can't use regular DeHacked with source ports. It has to be the original DOOM(2).EXE. If you want to keep your EXEs safe, just make backups.

Dark purple could be the "evil key." Muhahaha.

Theyre all evil. If I hadnt found that blasted Red key in E1M2, I would have been unable to continue playing for all these years. Map after map of hellspawn. Will it ever end.
Not for a long time IMO. I didnt discover source ports until about 3 years ago, but my ignorance to their existence didnt stop me from playing DooM (using the original exes of course).
Nothing lasts forever, and DooM is no exception. But I'd say it's still got at least 5-10 good years left before activity seriously dwindles.

As for todays state of affairs, I have to admit that there wouldnt be much of a community if not for the ports, simply due to lack of knowledge by people who werent around when the games were first released, or because of the spread of Windows XP (which will probably mean the death of many other games, for which there are no ports. Im sure its already happening now).

Nanami: you do need the original exes fot dehacked to work.
You might whant to tryWhackEd. It dose pretty much everything dehacked dose except text editing and weapon frames.

As for the question at hand, I almost certainly wouldn't be playing doom now if it weren’t for source ports. I rarely play without mouse look, and wouldn't touch doom DM with a forty-foot pole. (Except maybe PSX doom). Heck, watching source ports evolve is half the reason I'm still around!

Tsk tsk, using mouselook. *rolls eyes*

You brought up a good point though, there probably wouldnt be anymore DooM DM without the ports. I certainly wouldnt bother.

Nanami said:

It apparently HAS to read Doom(2).exe, and didn't want to work with the copy of Doom95 I had. Anyway, I got it working, it's just that my question is... Is there any way to avoid using the original .exe in case I ever happen to misplace my original copy?

Yes it has to read a copy of doom or doom2. DeHackEd is just a frontend designed to hexedit doom. It is prepared to read the info in the EXE and can output a textfile with the changes or produce a modifed EXE (by altering a copy of the same EXE.) It's made for doom and won't work for anything else, including ports or doom95.

If you ever lose your EXEs you can get them here:

http://www28.brinkster.com/mykdoom/command.htm

meh, I have about 10 different FPS that I still play, and doom and wolf 3d are the only ones that don't have mouse look. I can play doom the "classic" way if I have to, but why? I don't like readapting to doom style after a bout of half-life or quake. And the only time it's any real advantage (provided you leave auto aim off) is for the icon of sin. plus I don't like gibbing myself when my rocket launcher decides to aim for the demon under the ledge just in front of me instead of the imps on the other side of the pit. (it's must of happened to you at least once).

Heh, I was just joking. And yes, the rocket launcher thing happens to me on a weekly basis.
Actually the only reason I dont use mouselook is because I sometimes spend long hours at the computer in general. After a while, my wrist starts to hurt from using the mouse, so I like to give it a break when I can.

BigBadGangsta said:

Doom gods = DM
Source ports = SP

How many people Doom DM regularly? Around 100 or so...how many people Doom SP regularly? Millions.

I almost always do SP. It's very rare that I deathmatch or co-op. But, whether it was SP or DM, it's always in vanilla Doom if I can help it. Although I've since taken a liking to jDoom and Legacy, I still dislike source ports.

If the source wasn't released, I bet Doom would still be alive, except the community wouldn't be as large as it is today. Doom is a good enough game to where it will never completely die. Go silent for periods of time, maybe, but never totally dead.

BBG said:

Doom gods = DM
Source ports = SP

You have left out all those doom godlike speedrunners of count as for SP

Nanami said:

Oh, and UD, you should use a pink key. =P Actually, seriously, white might be neat. Dark purple could be the "evil key." Muhahaha.

Pink would look weird but not right, white would just be a white screen (in any case a greyscale key would look dull) and dark purple probably wouldn't work (damn palette - I was lucky to get the normal purple one working). In any case, I already have the keys I need.

boris said:

doom(2).exe users = übernerds

/me is Wrong. (sees things wrong)

999cop said:

You have left out all those doom godlike speedrunners of count as for SP

Yes indeed the term was originally 'coined' for speedrunners afaik.

ravage said:

Wrong.

Well... Actually, he's quite right, and it follows what's been stated on this thread. He means, of course, that they are a superior group among us nerds, that play the game sportswise with 1337 skills. On the other hand (and in general) non-doom users tend to play more idly and concentrate more on making TCs, messing with scripting, adding "detail" to maps, playing around with the source, and so on, instead of excelling at playing the game (and making particularly challenging WADs for that purpose.)

There are lotsa things that might of happened if source ports and stuff relating to them didn't exist:

1. I wouldn't be here.
2. There wouldn't have be a LizardWar mod.
3. I might have had a life. :p

...No wait, I probably never had a life to start with anyways. :/

I really love Doom in all its glory, but I've tried playing the original exe, and it just sucks compared to ZDoom. If only the original exes were around, I probably wouldn't be a Doomer.