Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

What was your first ever wad published if you make doom wads?

Let me take you back to late 2005, with Scourge, a new mapper's 23-map ZDoom megaWAD for Doom II, laden with all of the newbie mistakes and odd choices you can think of. One day I shall revisit the ambition, but with some actual vision and skills. Got a limit-removing megaWAD to finish making first, though.

For historical interest: a t/nc review

Edited by Phobus

Well, this map wasn't my truly first, but it was first shared to public and finished properly. Contains all newbish mistakes and  geometry:

It was named Scourge. 12 maps with  alot of flaws..even released in ID..well it was a new world of discovering. 

Mine was Temple of Damnation, then Back to the fire and The toxic exodus. Currently working and almost done with the 4th map.

We do not speak of my first released wad.

That would be MIRROR from Doomworld Mega Project 2012. With some amateurishness and bad design choices, but establishing my style right away.

https://youtu.be/d57o-HxFj3c?t=111

As a bonus, you can watch this to learn how to pronounce my name. Or at least, how I'd pronounce it normally, but after hearing @Suitepee pronounce it as "Sy-pack" repeatedly, I ended up mentally adjusting and now that's also how I pronounce it in my head. I guess being Hungarian made it easier for @Katamori to correctly guess the intended pronunciation!

I still have the first wads i made, they are terrible, and super broken, i believe @Z0k and a couple of guys we knew at the time were the only people that played most of my early maps from that period.

As for my first published map, that's a different story and i'm not 100% of, but it's very likely it was darkmoon, we released a demo featuring 3 maps (one those was mine) in a couple of spanish speaking sites at the time (somwhere 2006/2007), since they were small communities, it didn't got much attention outside and soon disappeared but i remember seeing that same demo in a mod compilation some years after that small release.

i also remember my first map uploaded on idgames, it was a speedmap in 2009, i was lurking DW and saw a speedmap session announced on the frontpage and i don't know what i was thinking at the time but i decided to join despite being a total stranger and not engaging the community at the time. It was a terrible map, and it got roasted when it was featured on newstuff chronicles. And rightfully so

Edited by DMPhobos

Blood Oven. Not my first made, no. Definitely not. The first one I made wouldn't even load for 5 seconds before it crashed, due to there being no true walls, each room is a door, etc, so i scrapped it. (I wanted to see if i could make maps without using any guides.) But the first put here? Blood Oven.

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

We do not speak of my first released wad.

Alrighty, topic title got me confused.

First published map would be The Crypt, which was made for Vinesauce Joel's second Doom mapping contest. You can watch Joel playing the map here.

Other than the map being rather under-detailed, I'm actually still pretty happy with how it turned out. I had a vision, and I was able to accomplish it (despite it not being a very popular vision, haha). There's a sequel that's just been sitting on my HD for a little over a year now with complete gameplay, I just never finished texturing the damn thing. Didn't think there was an audience for it, honestly. Might have to go back and finish/release it at some point.

Mine was called 'Distress Call' in 2016. It contained 4 maps I was proud of at the time but I asked idgames staff to remove it that same year, as I was ashamed of it later on. lol

However, there are videos made by a youtube channel called "Doom Wads" & it has full playthrough of it which I need to watch & see the difference.

22 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Would be a solo map called Parallels, which should be up on idgames soon. My first public half of a map is in here. Proud of my stuff (:

Make a MegaWAD ;)

My ambitious 6 map set where I must have gotten tired of dodging fireballs and decided to fill the maps with 90% hitscanners :P. What the hell was I thinking?! It works well with BD...hahahahahahha!!

Ah man I was just had the same idea for a topic however I was going to ask people to post their first release and there most current release. That way I could see peoples progression.

First released in 2007: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/demona

Latest release is a speed map on the last level of the last hellforge speed map session 2 link to dl in this post

Edited by Steve88

First solo release for me was The Slaughter Spectrum but I had one map before that in Joy of Mapping 6 called Violence Follows Violence

I'm relatively proud of my first release.  Not because the map is particularly good, but because on an article about it on Den of Geek they misspelled by last name as "Manswell", and from then on I knew what my stripper name would be.

My first published map was actually a heretic map, wanted to whole episode, but... I stopped mapping for years for some reason.

I was small map, linear map with awful sky clipping issue, not great even for a opener, but yeah...

Maybe if I get back to Heretic maps I could make that episode with remake of this map...

First "map/Doom" map created was like in 2006, when I only had a shareware version of Doom and like 7 years old, that is still sitting on my HDD.

My first published Doom wad was a huge passion project created in span of about 2 years. Too bad the first version was rushed due to... events with a lot of thing that could/should have been fix or recreated before the first release.

The updated version is much better, took like a week to make it better combat-wise with some tweaks to aesthetic also.

After some more mapping I have learned how to fix more things, that still bugges me, so I will probably update this one more time in the future, just to make it as good as It can be.

Edited by Shawny

The first map I released here was called Ultimatum Vindicta, a dungeon/sewer level for Heretic, I also converted it to Hexen so there's a version for both games.

Heretic version

Hexen version

The first Doom level I released was called Hellgate Complex, a large techbase map, for this one I also released the map with two versions, Doom and Doom 2.

Doom version

Doom 2 version

These maps are all basic format but require limit removing ports, most likely. There are things I would change about each and I plan on updating them sometime for a final release. I want to continue with the Heretic maps as a personal project, especially.

This never got put onto idgames, and I don't plan to put it there, but this is my first released wad.  It is 2 levels (plus an intro and outro map) I made using a few UDMF features.  Blood pools heal you because you're a vampire or something.  The detailing is veryunderwhelming because I was spending more of my time just trying to cram UDMF features into it than I was working on architecture, lol.

In the year 2000 I released a megawad called Vilecore. The name in the url isn't even right... haha. Some people kinda liked it, some said it was just ok and a few said it was shit. If I could go back and not release it, I would. Some day I'll get the updated version done.