Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Maybe it's saying SchutzKämpfer? which translates to "protection fighters".

25 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

But anyway, to think, we have the first official new voice actor added to a Doom IWAD in over 25 years! Assuming they didn't get John Romero to reprise his role, I mean.

The voice is that of long time id employee and new-ports pointman @sponge so feel free to update Mobygames accordingly.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

Have you tried prying into the "resources.assets" or "resources.resources" or however these files are called with Unity Asset Bundle Extractor?

If it is like the earlier releases you need to extract the doom 'disk' file from the unity FS first. The disk file is almost the same format as it is on the 360 ports (I think the wiki explains the file format). I would extract it but I am at work. I'll extract the IWADs in about 8 or 9 hours if no one else has

On 12/31/2019 at 11:16 PM, sponge said:

Should be the id Anthology version of both TNT and Plutonia, with the edits made for green health packs. NRFTL should have the correct music tracks, too. (I also changed the sky in the NRFTL hell levels to the hell sky, since I added swapping skies through metadata now.)

More things I've learned but can't share screenshots of:

-It is indeed the Anthology version of TNT, so map31 has the yellow key but one of the shotgunners near the end still gets stuck and makes 100% kills impossible.

-No Rest for the Living plays the correct music, but still has the same brown sky throughout.

4 minutes ago, WadArchive said:

If it is like the earlier releases you need to extract the doom 'disk' file from the unity FS first. The disk file is almost the same format as it is on the 360 ports (I think the wiki explains the file format). I would extract it but I am at work. I'll extract the IWADs in about 8 or 9 hours if no one else has

SLADE can read the Xbox360's diskfile format, by the way.

Just now, SiFi270 said:

-No Rest for the Living plays the correct music, but still has the same brown sky throughout.

That's odd, since @sponge specifically mentioned fixing this.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Not sure if it can read the unity version of it. Well it didn't when these ports first came out. I just ended up writing my own extractor for it, but with the plan to be able to repackage it but never got to that part

If you can document the differences or, even better, tweak the SLADE code, it'd be appreciated. I suppose the Unity format is going to be more useful than the Xbox format.

Other observations of interest: No Rest for the Living finally has an official logo, and it looks suspiciously like the Doom Eternal logo. No, the WAD still doesn't have its own TITLEPIC.

F94xwFI.png

Also, the Berserk's cross was also recolored.

8dnI3B7.png

Edited by Revenant100

I wish they had used a darker shade of green with a more similar lightness / saturation to the red they used. The pickups feel fluorescent now.

9 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

Other observations of interest: No Rest for the Living finally has an official logo, and it looks suspiciously like the Doom Eternal logo. No, it still doesn't have its own TITLEPIC.

jFswnM4.png

Presuming it to be a sort of consolidation of marketing nowadays. Were there not so much iconic material for the old Doom games already, the same thing would likely happen in that regard, and the trailers kinda-sorta do it anywho.

9 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

Also, the Berserk's cross was also recolored.

8dnI3B7.png

You know, when Doom II's 360 port was released, I talked (either here or on ZDoom, can't remember exactly) about the possibility of using a green pharmaceutical cross instead of that ghastly pill icon and was promptly laughed out of the room because nobody outside of the UK would recognise it and it apparently represented medicinal marijuana in certain regions.

Who's laughing now, eh? EH?

:P

I happily downloaded the update on my Switch but I am really, REALLY hating the weapon carousel. It feels so damn slow and it is super ugly! I just wanna be able to turn it off! 

Also, Nightmare still doesnt have fast monsters.

Otherwise, excellent update.

Edited by LadyVader1138

And it uses DMAPINFO

P.S.: on PC go to C:\Users\<your username>\Saved Games\Id Software\<DOOM or DOOM 2>\WADs and add the.wad extension to the numerical named files

I might highly consider picking these up on the Switch now! But I should ask; is it mandatory to create a log in to Bethesda.net to download add-ons?

1 minute ago, Beed28 said:

I might highly consider picking these up on the Switch now! But I should ask; is it mandatory to create a log in to Bethesda.net to download add-ons?

Yes.

53 minutes ago, Beed28 said:

I mean, considering the add-ons are downloaded off of their servers...

I was initially kind of like "what why" at the changes made to the Wolf walls, until I came to my senses and realized this is still leaps and bounds above what we had before with badly edited Former Humans replacing the SS entirely and no Nazi walls, and of course the infamous SNES Wolf from years prior. This is a fair compromise for what is essentially two easter egg levels designed as an homage to a game you can still play uncensored. Shitty German law is shitty, and I'm glad the rest of the world now doesn't have to suffer it, and we have something that will make most people happy as opposed to no people.

All the QoL additions to Doom Classic have been phenomenal and being able to have this all on-the-go with my Switch will be amazing. I'm sure the suits at Zenimax are probably wondering why so much time is being spent on trying to improve a game from 1993-1994, but I applaud all the effort and passion @sponge and the rest of the id guys have, who are taking precious time out to make this the best Doom yet. Having PWAD support, even curated, is just icing on this cake.

2 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I happily downloaded the update on my Switch but I am really, REALLY hating the weapon carousel. It feels so damn slow and it is super ugly! I just wanna be able to turn it off! 

Also, Nightmare still doesnt have fast monsters.

Otherwise, excellent update.

Apparently you can still d-pad tap to switch weapons. However, I don't own these versions of the games so I can't say for sure.

Been out all night and just came back to find the update. FANTASTIC!!! 
There’s tons of alterations. Well done. 

This is good news that the update is now released, I might buy the PC version of Doom II at the Bethesda store at some point.

2 hours ago, MadGuy said:

And it uses DMAPINFO

P.S.: on PC go to C:\Users\<your username>\Saved Games\Id Software\<DOOM or DOOM 2>\WADs and add the.wad extension to the numerical named files

I do wonder if anyone tried NUTS.WAD (just for giggles) on the PC port though?

Can't believe this is all happening. Never thought I would see the day of Archie's dancing around on my screen in the vile of Plutonia, on my Xbox One. Also 60fps!!! Many other things!!! This is absolutely awesome!!! 

It's kind of amazing that this version (at least on Switch) changed from being laughably poor in so many ways to perhaps the best console version ever made. Kudos to all the developers, both at Nerve and AlexMax and anyone else I miss :)

Welp, it turns out that attempting to play TNT on iOS for the first time actually caused the game to crash. Plus the first time I tried the update, I was able to play Plutonia and No Rest just fine. I tried it again not too long after, and it seems to work just fine (weird).

Btw, trying to play this on iPhone has led to some incredibly floaty and unresponsive controls.

Can people with the Doom 3 BFG with Doom and Doom 2 with No Rest for the Living get this update?

Edited by Gokuma

5 hours ago, Gez said:

Tried to open the doom2_disk from inside the ios app with Slade 3.1.6, no luck.

20 hours ago, seed said:

And now the bad news: They made the mistake I had hoped they would not make, on PC it's locked on Bethesda.net... Here's hoping things change in the future and it will come to GOG and Steam too.

I really hope they change their mind about making it exclusive to Bestheda.net. As someone who already have the entire Doom collection on GOG (plus Doom II on Steam), it doesn't seem fair for those that had those games for years now are required to re-purchase the same games again if they want these updates. It's the same problem I have with A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX (then again, the devs of that game are greedy pricks who are willing to kick people down for a profit), Croixleur Sigma - Deluxe Edition (the publishers didn't do much to give owners of the delisted old version outside of a short-lived discount which soured some people), or even Mark of the Ninja Remastered (where GOG owners are treated like second-class citizens and don't even get the remaster whatsoever). On entirely differently platforms, I can kinda see why that is, though in some cases I don't see why can't developers port over the new features back to its original system, but on PC, to me it seems not only Steam and GOG owners or getting left in the dirt, but it's also a missed opportunity from the points I brought up earlier in a previous post (e.g. Steamworks/GOG Galaxy integration, cross-platform play).

Edited by AmethystViper

5 hours ago, Ferk said:

Maybe it's saying SchutzKämpfer? which translates to "protection fighters".

As far as i know it's actually Schutzstaffel which is the meaning of the SS.