Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

I'll say that whether it's because my Samsung TV refuses to activate game mode, or because of the port, I do notice like a really weird delay on the Switch versions. Even with lowered sensitivity it makes it difficult to aim accurately. But again this could be TV problems.

23 minutes ago, RaikohZX said:

I'll say that whether it's because my Samsung TV refuses to activate game mode, or because of the port, I do notice like a really weird delay on the Switch versions. Even with lowered sensitivity it makes it difficult to aim accurately. But again this could be TV problems.

What you're describing sounds an a lot like input lag, and the very noticeable kind no less.

It's probably bad frame interpolation.

36 minutes ago, RaikohZX said:

Could be your TV. I'm playing in handheld mode and it's fine.

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Could be your TV. I'm playing in handheld mode and it's fine.

Yeah, it's difficult to play with the Joycons, but the input delay is either not there or extremely minimalized. My TV's activated game mode randomly for some things but has no proper config options for it. What a pain.

Might want to try a factory refresh on your TV. Game mode is there precisely to disable most/all of the post-processing effects that normally introduce latency (such things aren't an issue with things like cable boxes and Blu-ray players, but devastating for gaming, of course). That you can't enable game mode sounds like the real issue here.

Agreed, @seed, a "Classic" FPS cap for those that want to play these like how it was back in the day and possibly fix the frame-pacing issues with 60 Hz displays, and a "Smooth" FPS cap for those want the fluidity higher frame-rates can offer if Bethesda can fix said frame-pacing problems.

4 hours ago, Allard said:

Licensing that would be a legal nightmare.

Can't PC players that bought the Buckethead music slap on the music WAD for SIGIL manually for the PC version? I mean at least that way you are still buying the music WAD and have legal access to use it on a source port of your choice and presumably this new port on PC.

16 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

and possibly fix the frame-pacing issues with 60 Hz displays

You can't by nature of mathematics do this with a framerate that simply doesn't round into the display refresh rate. That's why this was a problem, and that's why interpolation to the display refresh rate was the solution.

4 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

Can't PC players that bought the Buckethead music slap on the music WAD for SIGIL manually for the PC version? I mean at least that way you are still buying the music WAD and have legal access to use it on a source port of your choice and presumably this new port on PC.

You can only have a single WAD active at a time in this port. I tried importing the Buckethead music into the main SIGIL wad, but it only resulted in the port freezing whenever I activated it, seems like a file size issue.

10 hours ago, Szuran said:

9. NO ALTERNATE SOUNDTRACK FOR SIGIL? Not even for an additional price? Come on, Bethesda, I believe in your greed.

Just trying to get my head around how legally complicated this would be makes my brain hurt. 

1 hour ago, Allard said:

You can only have a single WAD active at a time in this port. I tried importing the Buckethead music into the main SIGIL wad, but it only resulted in the port freezing whenever I activated it, seems like a file size issue.

No that's not true, it can load many wads at once, that's the whole point of the addon system. The port can't load the buckethead music because it's only expecting MUS or MIDI files from WADs. Digital music is not something Doom naturally supports and the port can currently only handle it externally.

Oh, huh. I was acting on old information regarding addons load orders, guess that changed or I was mistaken. 

Though the lack of digital music support is still why the buckethead music won't load anyway. 

After having a few days to play around with the new update I gotta say its awesome! The only thing that I found to be a little odd is the chainsaw sound effect which I believe they know about and will no doubt fix.

The health boxes now bearing a green cross instead of red cross or a red pill........I honestly don't understand the complaints I've seen in various places , they do the same the thing and still instantly recognisable.

Jimmy's music for SIGIL is fantastic. 

The music for one of the episodes for for Final Doom uses original DOOM music , was this always the case? 

Overall , its pretty much the complete classic Doom experience in one place better than its ever been done on console AND with more to come. Good stuff.

15 hours ago, RaikohZX said:

Yeah, it's difficult to play with the Joycons, but the input delay is either not there or extremely minimalized. My TV's activated game mode randomly for some things but has no proper config options for it. What a pain.

Just bought it for Switch Lite and it's really hard to aim, it's easier to turn in general directon of the enemy and then strafe to the right position. Right stick is has no input delay, but also no acceleration or smoothing, so it's easy to 'overshoot'.

12 hours ago, Allard said:

This is something that definitely needs to be fixed, being limited to a single PWAD file really hinders the modding support this new version is boasting, especially if you're not able to use something that requires or depends on their *.DEH files like say Batman Doom or even Doom 4 Vanilla.

20 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

This is something that definitely needs to be fixed, being limited to a single PWAD file really hinders the modding support this new version is boasting, especially if you're not able to use something that requires or depends on their *.DEH files like say Batman Doom or even Doom 4 Vanilla.

It seems they only intended to keep it simple with hand-picked mappacks, no gameplay mods or the like. Hence you can only have one active at a time and no DEHACKED support. Remember, it's a console port first and foremost, the PC version is just out there for crazies like me who need to own every version they can get their hands on.

10 minutes ago, Allard said:

and no DEHACKED support

The lack of dehacked support is because dehacked isn't actually part of Doom, it's oddly in the name, it was a program that hacked the DOS executable. That of course can't work automatically and there was never any explicit support in the original code. They would need to write their own support for it, and that is a lot of work.

With the berserk pack I think they should have done something like Female Sub-Zero did in her Sub-Zero vs the Lin Kuei in 1998.

Except looking closely I realize she might have been making a red version of Shao Kahn's helmet on it using Doom sprites.

At any rate, putting a little red skull would be more fitting than a green plus.

femalesubzerosberserk.png

I grabbed these for Switch. I played a lot of Doom Classic Complete on PS3 and Doom II on GBA. In my opinion, this is the best console port of Doom yet. It probably even is the best official Windows port. It's even cheaper than the PSN port with all the same content (more or less) and level select is a great feature. I too am hoping for the Wraith Co megawads. That would make this perfect.

1 hour ago, AmethystViper said:

like say Batman Doom

Even if they did add DEHACKED support, I think stuff like Batman Doom or Aliens TC probably wouldn't be officially supported.

But being able to load several add-ons at once is a must. It's needed for, say Back to Saturn X episode 2, and also the screen does say "active add-ons", plural.

12 minutes ago, Gez said:

Even if they did add DEHACKED support, I think stuff like Batman Doom or Aliens TC probably wouldn't be officially supported.

But being able to load several add-ons at once is a must. It's needed for, say Back to Saturn X episode 2, and also the screen does say "active add-ons", plural.

To be fair I don't think we're expected to mod this port on PC (nothing against the devs, that's just how it seems to be designed), and if BTSX was ever made an official add-on I can imagine them finding a way to combine files together to get it to work proper or it just outright packs and loads multiple files at once in those sorts of situations. It would be a bit cumbersome if you had to download and activate multiple add-ons to get one mod to work.

1 hour ago, RaikohZX said:

To be fair I don't think we're expected to mod this port on PC

Mo4fsCQ.png

No, I get it, but they did officially tell how to do it on PC and Android in their patch notes.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Mo4fsCQ.png

No, I get it, but they did officially tell how to do it on PC and Android in their patch notes.

Guess I missed that part, sorry.

For what it's worth, the instructions are kind of buried in the last section of the patch notes, but you can find them in the Doom & Doom II Add-ons FAQ.

I’m on PC. Can I drop my own WAD files on the client to run them?

Actually…yes! Browse to your installation directory and put any WAD files into your Saved Games\id Software\DOOM Classic\WADs folder (or the equivalent folder for DOOM II) and they will be recognized in the Add-ons menu. Note that only WADs compatible with so-called vanilla-DOOM and DOOM II will function at this time.

Incidentally, this also works on Android. You’ll find the folder in Android\Data\com.Bethsoft.DOOM\files\WADs (or com.Bethsoft.DOOMII, if using that game).

Supporting replacement sprites and flats without them all having to be added to a pwad would be nice for vanilla.   I don't ever expect them to support Dehacked due to obvious reasons stated by others.    One thing at least as an option these new vanilla-ish ports could really use is turning off infinitely tall actors.   As far as explosions go, I like infinitely tall barrel explosions but not rocket explosions.   That makes sense doesn't it?

I personally like the Z-axis abuse of the rocket splash damage. I don't always like having my ankles getting torn open from monsters below me, but it's a fair trade-off seeing as flying enemies can't stack on top of each other, which would be chaos for the auto aim I'd imagine.