Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SleepyVelvet

What device do you use for aiming & turning?

What input device do you use for aiming & turning in DooM?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What input device do you use for aiming & turning in DooM?

• Standard Mouse
    • Keyboard Only
    • Trackball Mouse
    • Gaming Controller / Gamepad
    • Touchpad (laptop)
    • Other (Joystick; modified toasters, trumpets; neural implants; etc.)

What input device, particularly for aiming and turning, do you use for Doom?

Personally, I first played Doom keyboard only in the 90's.  Then I used mouse & keyboard when I picked it up again in the 2000's.  At some point I started using trackball mice (Logitech M570's so far), which I've used for the last some years.

Out of curiosity, what does everyone else use?

Edited by NoisyVelvet

Mouse all the way. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Touchpad? I would be very impressed to see someone play a fast FPS with a touchpad lol.

Spoiler

Again why can't I have multiple choices?

Because I do use mouse (mostly) but when my mouse broke for some reason, I use keyboard. Keyboard is good for only that reason and when you know how to set up a good control scheme.

Trackball is good for people having hand-related problems (like TimeOfDeath).

The other ways of controlling Doom movement (trumpets, ATM buttons and such), are all proof-of-concept.

As for controllers....

15 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

@MurdochI liked your first response.

good point. fixed

Heh, it sounded funny in my head but then stupid when I wrote it out.

Mouse and/or controller/gamepad ( I can even play DOOM 3 with a retro bit 8-button SEGA mega drive controller )

Mouse of course. Though I do sometimes use the touchpad of my laptop when mouse is broken or not available.

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Touchpad? I would be very impressed to see someone play a fast FPS with a touchpad lol.

Believe it or not, but at one point I got pretty decent with the touchpad. I was even able to beat "Adept" bots in UT99 or "HMP" bots in Quake 3 using touchpad.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

I'm curious as to how one would play Doom with a toaster or trumpet. Hmm...

Stunningly enough, there’s an answer to that question!

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Believe it or not, but at one point I got pretty decent with the touchpad. I was even able to beat "Adept" bots in UT99 or "HMP" bots in Quake 3 using touchpad.

1 hour ago, MadGuy said:

Mouse and/or controller/gamepad ( I can even play DOOM 3 with a retro bit 8-button SEGA mega drive controller )

I think there are also demos of players using touchpads out there.

I use the mouse, but it has to be a good or decent one. If I'm in a situation where I have a crappy mouse (or mouse pad) I'd rather play keyboard only.

I once attempted playing with a touchpad and it was impossible due to tons of inputs not being read. I have no idea how people can play like that. Maybe it was just my laptop

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Mouse, although I'm curious as to how one would play Doom with a toaster or trumpet. Hmm...

Having never been able to master the Trumpet myself, I've always preferred keyboard+mouse. Although I get the feeling Doom-engine games could be quite playable with KB only, using ESDF for movement as usual and moving the right hand to the keypad or something, for aiming/firing. I might try my hand(s) at that sometime, but I'm not in a hurry to.

I've always sworn by ESDF over WASD generally: your fingers rest in the same place as when typing, so something like "press R" means the same thing whether or not you're in game mode; and it opens up more keys to the left. (My MMO layout would not work without that.) And once I was advised to put weapon selection keys around the movement keys rather than using the digit keys, it feels much more organic and natural. So I've always put shotgun-type weapons on W, rocket launcher type weapons on R, melee/starting weapon on 2, basic shooty weapons (pistol) on 4, rapid shooty weapons (chaingun) on 3, plasma rifle type weapons on T, and assorted others on 1/5/G.

And the fact most games default to WASD means I have to rearrange the controls anyway, which gives me an opportunity to rethink the controls too. (Which also helps me learn them!) Still baffles me to watch ESO players with the default 1-5 for ability mappings.

Edited by Rainne : Elaborating on keyboard layout

I use mouse+kb when on a proper machine, but I'll also tear it up on the touch screen controls of delta touch. Personally I've found that I prefer to use the touch screen over a controller, though of course mouse+kb over both, but if I'm gonna handicap myself may as well do so with something fun.

7 hours ago, Nevander said:

Mouse, although I'm curious as to how one would play Doom with a toaster or trumpet. Hmm...

4 hours ago, Rainne said:

Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

I use a Logitech G502 gaming mouse. So comfy,and reasonably priced. Used a trackball mouse for a while, but it gave me pretty bad wrist pain. I can't fathom playing with anything other than WASD + mouse these days.

7 hours ago, PaquoCastor said:

Gamepad + Mouse is better than Gamepad. I have a flightstick and I don't know how to use that for movement or turning, heh.

Well this guy uses an arcade stick to play Doom1 

I have the same stick , i use it almost for everything , but not for doom , thats for sure . 

As of the OP question , Standard Mouse , that it's not that standard , its a gaming mouse that after several test i've found a suitable sens config and i'm happy with it :) , But as a doom purist, mouse is only for turning and firing , there's no "aiming" (freelook) on classic doom 

Since I do most of my DooMing on Delta-Touch, I'll say Touchscreeen. It works perfectly with classic DooM, but it gets a bit difficult with freelook on.

Standard Mouse. Nothing too fancy. Just a Logitech G203 Prodigy Gaming Mouse. ($20 or so i think)

I do use a controller when i'm playing Doom on a console though (XB1 controller mostly or PS1 controller for PS Doom).

I still voted "Standard Mouse" as that's my main way of aiming in Doom.

Wireless mouse. I tried a gaming controller once, but was so inconvenient.

Usual wired mouse on a desktop computer, wireless mouse for floortop pc)) Sometimes Dual-Shock style gamepad for playing games like silent hill 1-4 or something from NES

At the moment I'm using a cheap Chinese wired gaming mouse that's starting to show its age a bit. Precision aiming has become a little dodgy.

I've got my eyes on a nice Logitech though.