Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tomp

Problem with wads that replace normal monsters with custom ones.

I'm sorry for bothering people around, but i've got a problem. When I'm playing wads such as eviternity or strain, the custom monsters that are supposed to replace normal ones do not appear. Normal mosters appear instead. I've never seen any thread about this issue, so I would be really grateful if anyone knew the solution to this. 

Thank you very much.

Thanks, I'll try it.

Still don't know how to fix eviternity though. By the way, with eviternity, there's one new monster that appears in game- the nightmare demon. The other ones are normal. I looked at Doomwiki and found out, that the nightmare demon replaces the helper dog, which probably isn't in zandronum so the demon has it's own number. Other monsters replace monsters like commander keen, SS, or the Baron of hell. Those ones already have existing numbers, so for some reason, they are not replaced.

Hello everyone. I apologize in advance if I am bumping this thread incorrectly, but I am having a similar issue when trying to run Strain with the monsters not appearing correctly, and didn't want to create a new thread if it wasn't completely necessary.

My problem, however, is a little different than Tomp's, in that when I load Strain.Wad along with Strain.DEH, instead of the custom monsters appearing, the game will only load their attack patterns and related sounds; the enemy sprites themselves do not appear at all. I am very confused at to what could be the cause of this, since I've never had this error before- I've tried using the WAD files both from the original Strain upload as well as the Repackaged Edition, and redownloaded the files to make sure they weren't mixed up or corrupted somehow, and also changed the load order, but nothing seems to fix the problem and the new monster sprites are still not loading.

I am running Strain with GZDoom 4.1.3 along with ZDL 3-1.1.

Any advice you could provide to remedy this situation would be greatly appreciated. This is actually my second time trying to play through this Wad, and I'd like to give it a proper go if possible.

Do you use any mod? In which order do you load doom2.wad and eviternity.wad?

Edit: oops... Didn't see the date of the original post

20 hours ago, 666shooter said:

Question about Strain

You can try the more traditional drag-and-drop method. ZDL fucks stuff up sometimes IIRC. Also check the compatiblity options.

18 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You can try the more traditional drag-and-drop method. ZDL fucks stuff up sometimes IIRC. Also check the compatiblity options.

Thanks, I'll give those a look. I normally don't mess with the Compatibility section- for fear of rendering the map unplayable- but do you know what Dehacked flagging might fall under?

In most cases the rule of thumb is that whatever is loaded last, overrides what was loaded prior. Also, when playing on Zandro, which my very be with one or several mods loaded alongside the actual maps, you have to also consider that mods of any sort may clash with the assets included in the original WAD, or the DeHacked.

I am not sure if there even are any DeHacked flags to speak of, because the purpose of DeHacked is to basically bake the new assets into the WAD itself, either by inclusion in the WAD, or by way of "patching" it. This means that, if the DeHacked patch is delivered separately, it usually should be loaded after the WAD.

25 minutes ago, 666shooter said:

Thanks, I'll give those a look. I normally don't mess with the Compatibility section- for fear of rendering the map unplayable- but do you know what Dehacked flagging might fall under?

Here are some notable examples about the importance of properly configured compatiblity options:

Spoiler

-In default compatiblity options, flawed damage collision is fixed, thus making chainsaw more usable on mancubuses and arachnotrons.

-A door may or may not open.

-Lost souls are limited at 21 (at once) in the original game. 

-Archviles may or may not resurrect crushed corpses.

ZDoom and its deratives "fixed" many of the bugs that don't need to be fixed. 

In this case, all you need to do is set the compatiblity option to Doom (strict).

Thanks for the advice guys. I did finally get things running with Zandronum, so I'm not sure if the edition of GZDoom I'm using was causing some of the issues or not, but at least now I have a way of experiencing the Wad as intended. It is an entirely different game with the DeHacked content running, no pun intended. I always thought it was a little cheap to be fighting multiple arachnotrons on Map 3 with only a shotgun.

And I was really confused and annoyed by all those immobile versions, ha ha.

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Strain does not require any compatibility options.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

ZDoom and its deratives "fixed" many of the bugs that don't need to be fixed. 

In this case, all you need to do is set the compatiblity option to Doom (strict).

So did Boom and all its derivatives. Where do you think the idea of a compatibility option originates from?

46 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Strain does not require any compatibility options.

So did Boom and all its derivatives. Where do you think the idea of a compatibility option originates from?

But ZDoom has more and I'm not implying that to be a bad thing (as bad as it might sounds). I still found the default compat options to be pretty serviceable when playing through advanced Doom maps (UDMF, Hexen format)

More options to choose from are always good.

Spoiler

Also I'm writing this and the former opinion in the POV of a person who hasn't touched the default compatiblity options of (G)ZDoom for a really long time, so I apologize if things got wrong.

Finally figured it out. Apparently trying to load both the DEH and the WAD on top of a previous save using only the WAD does not apply the DEH functionality correctly, or at least it never worked for me. I did consider briefly that it might not work when I tried this fix initially, but because GZDoom wasn't showing any red flags or crashing during launch (as it would if I loaded the wrong Wads overtop of a save file), I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working correctly.

At any rate, restarted, with the correct files, in the correct order (thank you, Nine Inch Heels) enemies appear and all works fine now. Wish I'd tried that before.

Though it still baffles me why part of the information from the DeHacked (animations and sounds) loaded without the sprites to begin with. So strange. I'm sure there's a very technical explanation somewhere.

Are you sure DEHACKED is responsible for the changed sprites and sounds?