Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wraith777

Gods&Guardians - Classic 6 map episode (v.1.1 - vanilla release)

Well I just spent a very enjoyable ~45 minutes exploring map03, a large dense highly interconnected tech-maze map. Think of stuff like Memento Mori map09 or MM2 map22. I recommend it to anyone who likes a slower-paced exploration with lots of secret-hunting.

I found all the counted secrets although missed some items. More importantly I was not able to exit because there is no mechanism to raise the exit bridge (there is no line tagged 34 -- I suspect you meant to put a raise+change switch somewhere). Also I noticed the berserk box can be bumped off its ledge early which was probably also unintended, and a few things that seem like secrets but aren't marked as such, e.g. the switch hidden behind the pillar (line 2405) and the plasma cells behind the bars in the radiation sector near the start (thing 290).

17 hours ago, RjY said:

More importantly I was not able to exit because there is no mechanism to raise the exit bridge (there is no line tagged 34 -- I suspect you meant to put a raise+change switch somewhere). Also I noticed the berserk box can be bumped off its ledge early which was probably also unintended, and a few things that seem like secrets but aren't marked as such, e.g. the switch hidden behind the pillar (line 2405) and the plasma cells behind the bars in the radiation sector near the start (thing 290).

Fixed the lift, switch is in the lift tower (area with that switch was rebuild some time ago, but I've forgot to put linedef action back). Also made some other changes to map03, so it's now reuploaded.

Remaining maps (#1,2,6) will be something more fast paced and action oriented in order to compensate slow paced exploration nature of maps3,4,5.

More Wraith stuff is always welcome :)

Loved the first Alpha Accident btw, hope you're still working on the second episode!

Love classic inspired levels, gonna play through this and provide feedback soon enough.

Cool! I am going to play(test) this.

Minor detail: It is Anderson, not Andersen.

Edit: Played the first three maps and, partially, the forth one. They are way too long to be uv-maxed from the scratch without saves, for my taste. They are excellent and impressive, but not my cup of tea.

Edited by Diabolución

3 hours ago, grrfield said:

Why is there an .exe file in the download?

I was thinking the same thing... It could be some type of modified doom exe with the dehacked file inside it?

3 hours ago, grrfield said:

Why is there an .exe file in the download?

I've forgot to tell: there is dehacked inside wad and .exe file is patched with it. There are changes to cyberdemon, mastermind frames to make a new boss fight work. On map06 you need to kill both of them, then two switches on their platforms will open, each raises one step to demon spawner with final big cyberskull switch (and when you use that one, get out of there fast).

How come the Soulsphere area in map 2 isn't tagged as a secret? Confusing indeed.

EDIT: Map 3 - same thing with the RL. Surely that's a secret?

Edited by Firedust

Area that leads to Soulsphere surely had a secret tag on one of the sectors, maybe I've just cut it out while editing.

Map03 RL area has secret tag on the opening column. Or, do you have doubts if it deserves to be a secret?

No, no, I'm saying the opposite. Both weren't tagged as secrets for some reason. Map 2 only has one secret, which isn't the Soulsphere.

EDIT: Map 4 - how do you get to the lost soul area with damaging floors? Apparently, it's supposed to lead to a bfg secret, but I can't find a switch to access it. Also, the switch that lowers the elevator at the bfg secret is misleading, because taking the teleporter back will result in a dead end. Wouldn't it be better to remove it? Also, how do you access the green building to the east of the blue door with the cyb inside? There doesn't seem to be any elevator (well, I can't find one at least).

Fantastic maps by the way! I can definitely see why this was rejected from the way id did series - but that's not a bad thing at all imo.

Edited by Firedust

I gave this try in GZdoom 4.2.4 and I noticed some problems along the way:

MAP02: HOM/unclosed sector at linedef 762 (it's facing the wrong way).

MAP05: HOM at linedef 4662 after the wall lowers.

MAP06: medkit 170 jumps into air when you trigger sector 42. Move the medkit away from it.

Also, the new HUD is pretty bad, it's light green on light grey, so the numbers are barely legible. I had to delete it after 3 minutes of play.

BTW, where music track for MAP06 comes from?

Just played the first map. If the rest of this WAD is anything like this or even better, I will have a great time!

1 hour ago, Caleb13 said:

Also, the new HUD is pretty bad, it's light green on light grey, so the numbers are barely legible. I had to delete it after 3 minutes of play.

Hm...it's more like olive green on brown...and I love it. I'm having more trouble with the small red numbers. Maybe make it a light yellow or a light green. Or just white.

6 hours ago, Firedust said:

EDIT: Map 4 - how do you get to the lost soul area with damaging floors? Apparently, it's supposed to lead to a bfg secret, but I can't find a switch to access it. Also, the switch that lowers the elevator at the bfg secret is misleading, because taking the teleporter back will result in a dead end. Wouldn't it be better to remove it? Also, how do you access the green building to the east of the blue door with the cyb inside? There doesn't seem to be any elevator (well, I can't find one at least).

There is a switch hidden nearby that leads to lost soul area, you need to lookout for it more carefully. Elevator switch in at bfg secret is not misleading, because you can jump out of the window OR you can go all the way you've came in thru that teleport.

Green brick building is accessed thru lift puzzle in the building to the north from it (there is a switch that raises platform), from here you have another way to get to the building with red key.

2 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

BTW, where music track for MAP06 comes from? 

Maybe the HUD needs some tweaks with character colors, but personally I like the way it is (maybe I've simply got used to it)..

Map06 music is from on the "Rock It! Electronic Edition" music wads.

19 hours ago, Wraith777 said:

I've forgot to tell: there is dehacked inside wad and .exe file is patched with it. There are changes to cyberdemon, mastermind frames to make a new boss fight work. On map06 you need to kill both of them, then two switches on their platforms will open, each raises one step to demon spawner with final big cyberskull switch (and when you use that one, get out of there fast).

Forgive me, but i'm not eager to use just executables from the interwebs (you may call it paranoia).

I tried to play the first map without using the exe file. Could that be the reason that I was unable to unlock the red skull (or keycard, i don't remember). I did not find a way to raise the bars and gave up after some 10 minute. Or was it just me looking in all the wrong places?

The thing that confuses me (in the case that one is required to use the modified exe), is that there is multiplayer possibility. I don't know how that is going to work out exactly.

1 hour ago, grrfield said:

I tried to play the first map without using the exe file. Could that be the reason that I was unable to unlock the red skull

No. Most srcports will load the internal DEHACKED lump just fine - check your startup logs, look for "Loading DEH lump from gng09.wad" or something similar to make sure it loaded.

Spoiler

The unlock for the red skull is not that hard to discover. Look for a nearby switch in the same area.

@Wraith777, you've got 2 identical DEHACKED lumps in your PWAD (one strangely placed b/w map06 and map07 map lumps).

2 hours ago, tmorrow said:

No. Most srcports will load the internal DEHACKED lump just fine - check your startup logs, look for "Loading DEH lump from gng09.wad" or something similar to make sure it loaded.

Reveal hidden contents

The unlock for the red skull is not that hard to discover. Look for a nearby switch in the same area.

@Wraith777, you've got 2 identical DEHACKED lumps in your PWAD (one strangely placed b/w map06 and map07 map lumps).

Still don't understand how i missed that. Well enjoying this so far.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:44 AM, grrfield said:

Forgive me, but i'm not eager to use just executables from the interwebs (you may call it paranoia).

I tried to play the first map without using the exe file. Could that be the reason that I was unable to unlock the red skull (or keycard, i don't remember). I did not find a way to raise the bars and gave up after some 10 minute. Or was it just me looking in all the wrong places?

The thing that confuses me (in the case that one is required to use the modified exe), is that there is multiplayer possibility. I don't know how that is going to work out exactly.

.exe file is for those who like to play it natively (at least with dosbox, like me). And we're not afraid of no .exe, playing all those dos games).

Dehacked mod here is only critical for final boss fight.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:07 PM, tmorrow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, it's the same file inserted twice, a casualty of constant wad editing...

So... Aside from some glitches, HOMs and other minor defects, what about difficulty? Personally, I like explore-and-survive style more than anything else, but here I've tried to add some tougher firefights towards ending. And I do NOT like teleport ambushes (just gets annoying, especially when they are served constantly), so there are none of them present here... almost.

1 hour ago, Wraith777 said:

So... Aside from some glitches, HOMs and other minor defects, what about difficulty? Personally, I like explore-and-survive style more than anything else, but here I've tried to add some tougher firefights towards ending. And I do NOT like teleport ambushes (just gets annoying, especially when they are served constantly), so there are none of them present here... almost.

Same! I love exploratory gameplay too, and I definitely wouldn't call this mapset difficult (still got 2 maps to go). I guess it is a bit tough on pistol starters because weapons aren't usually in obvious or easily accessible locations, but as someone who plays continuous, I am naturally not bothered by that.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:44 PM, Firedust said:

Same! I love exploratory gameplay too, and I definitely wouldn't call this mapset difficult (still got 2 maps to go). I guess it is a bit tough on pistol starters because weapons aren't usually in obvious or easily accessible locations, but as someone who plays continuous, I am naturally not bothered by that.

I also always play wads continuously (and with saves), but I try to make pistol starts fair for each map.

Ok, here is v.0.99, fixed all bugs/glitches mentioned above
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pc37ko3cnhst77/GnG099.zip?dl=0

@Wraith777 This looks excellent, and i love to do a write up on this. I have some questions tho:

• When/if is this going to be on /idgames?
  • Regarding the custom .exe: Is it similar to the Alpha Accident one, so a DoomP (Doom Plus) patched (with DeHackEd, the program, i assume?) executable that needs The Ultimate Doom, or?

On 3/17/2020 at 11:55 PM, Redneckerz said:

@Wraith777 This looks excellent, and i love to do a write up on this. I have some questions tho:

• When/if is this going to be on /idgames?
  • Regarding the custom .exe: Is it similar to the Alpha Accident one, so a DoomP (Doom Plus) patched (with DeHackEd, the program, i assume?) executable that needs The Ultimate Doom, or?

Currently I'm changing difficulty, making maps harder on.. HARD (still they all should remain playable from pistol start). After that test if anything is ok, I think it's ready to be released on /idgames.

Custom .exe is a Doom2P file (mainly to savegame limits).

59 minutes ago, Wraith777 said:

Currently I'm changing difficulty, making maps harder on.. HARD (still they all should remain playable from pistol start). After that test if anything is ok, I think it's ready to be released on /idgames.

Custom .exe is a Doom2P file (mainly to savegame limits).

Aha, moving up a notch, thank you. Are both GNG09.exe and GNG099.exe  (I reckon it will be renamed GNG if on idgames) share the same Doom2P basis?

Its quite an unique endeavor you are doing there.

If you do release it on /idgames, id like to write an article for it on Realm667.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:19 PM, Redneckerz said:

Aha, moving up a notch, thank you. Are both GNG09.exe and GNG099.exe  (I reckon it will be renamed GNG if on idgames) share the same Doom2P basis?

Its quite an unique endeavor you are doing there.

If you do release it on /idgames, id like to write an article for it on Realm667.

I don't see any problem with this (*to the audience: did everyone laid down their pitchforks, torches, rock piles and stuff??)

Anyway, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjwo0lzwvurwdbz/GnG10.zip?dl=0

Difficulty is increased a little bit, some changes are done to all maps. Bonus map received more detail (and now it has a full set of credits)...

@Wraith777

I've been playing this as well, just recently (prboom-plus, -cl 2, skill 4). It seems that m02 has a number of serious bugs in v1.0 of the WAD. Unfortunately I wasn't recording while playing, but I'll try to describe the issues as precisely as I can below:

* The small lift on the east side of the central structure in the room with the yellow key is untagged, and cannot be activated (outside of ZDoom-family ports). This means the player can never get the key, and the level cannot be completed.

* Returning to the central ooze-chamber after taking the YK (via IDCLIP in my case), a number of enclosures in the walls have been opened by means of the peripheral platforms where imps/zombies stood lowering to ground level, to release a number of lost souls and cacos. The walls immediately behind the lowered platforms are untextured, and so there are a number of nasty HOMs now present.

* In the blue key's area, the small lift which leads up to the elevated walkway on the west side of the room is untagged, and so progress by normal means is again halted past that point. The player *can* actually rocket-jump the gap to reach the walkway from near the teleporter to the soulsphere room at the end of the east (secret) walkway once the shutter there opens, but this didn't strike me as being intentional.

* Also in the BK area, something is wrong with the three platforms which encircle the central enclosure where the BK + an arachnatron are found -- one can hear sector movement once the switch nearby is tripped, but the mechanism jams, and so the three platforms with the hell knights on them never lower out of the ceiling.

Bugs aside, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far. Will report any other bugs encountered.