Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

35 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

One thing at least as an option these new vanilla-ish ports could really use is turning off infinitely tall actors

It's not a simple case of "turning it off". There is zero logic in Doom for what to do with z axis collisions between actors for every scenario a z collision could occur. Outside of projectiles of course, which already do Z collisions and only need to do one thing: Detonate.

I would love to have quick turn in these versions. On gzdoom I have the turn sensitivity very low, and when I need to turn fast I just press the analog stick for quick 180. Works amazing in Doom in my opinion. 

That and shortcut to chainsaw/fist instead of something else. Or to have 2 weapons for each d-pad button. 

These personal preferences aside. I’m very happy with these versions now.

You kids take a lot for granted like in engine support for DeHackEd files. Back in my day, we had it tough. We hacked our EXEs directly using the DeHackEd app, and if the exe was updated, we had to wait for DeHackEd to be updated! And I walked to school in the snow uphill both ways etc etc OK this joke is dying.

But yeah, DeHackEd support will never happen. Ever.

19 minutes ago, plynthus said:

That and shortcut to chainsaw/fist instead of something else. Or to have 2 weapons for each d-pad button. 

It worked great in the old editions for PS3/360, right = shotgun, press right again = super shotgun; left = pistol, press again = plasma rifle... or something like that. It was perfect.

So apparently after the cast call in Doom 2 it wouldn't repeat but instead will cut to a somewhat cinematic ending like in Doom 2016's before going to a more detailed staff credits roll afterwards.

Can someone confirm to me that this appears in the old Xbox Live Doom 2?

EDIT: It also appears in Ultimate Doom with a very different sequence too.

Edited by ZeroTheEro

21 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

So apparently after the cast call in Doom 2 it wouldn't repeat but instead will cut to a somewhat cinematic ending like in Doom 2016's before going to a more detailed staff credits roll afterwards.

Can someone confirm to me that this appears in the old Xbox Live Doom 2?

If I remember correctly, Live Doom 2 ends with the old end screen and then you get monster deaths and credits, but not as flashy and 3D-like as they are when you finish an episode in the new edition.

1 hour ago, ZeroTheEro said:

This is very true.

It's also worth mentioning, I think, that the uncapped FPS doesn't apply to the D2016-style credits; which was actually quite choppy and looked awful on the (non-Pro) PS4 when I played through.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

DeHackEd support will never happen. Ever.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not like we haven't seen it done. DeHackEd does not touch *that* much stuff in the engine when you get down to it. Would implementing support for it be more complex / invasive than implementing support for 60fps interpolation? Because when it came down to it, id was willing to pay to get that done.

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not like we haven't seen it done. DeHackEd does not touch *that* much stuff in the engine when you get down to it. Would implementing support for it be more complex / invasive than implementing support for 60fps interpolation? Because when it came down to it, id was willing to pay to get that done.

I could be wrong, sure, and if I am yay. But it would be a significant amount of work for relatively little gain. 60fps looks good in marketing. Dehacked support is a bit more niche.

7 hours ago, Jayextee said:

It's also worth mentioning, I think, that the uncapped FPS doesn't apply to the D2016-style credits;

That's because it's literally a video file. 

Just now, Edward850 said:

That's because it's literally a video file. 

Hahahahah, what? That's terrible! XD

1 minute ago, Jayextee said:

Hahahahah, what? That's terrible! XD

I'm not sure what else you expected? It's not like such a thing would be conventional to make in vanilla Doom, which is what this source port it. 

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

It's not like such a thing would be conventional to make in vanilla Doom, which is what this source port it. 

I half-expected it to have done using Unity's 3D capabilities, given that the weird behaviour of the sprites is nothing like DOOM's. Mind you, it probably was done that way and used as the source for this video file. Which still seems a little odd to me.

@Edward850oh lmao, admittedly that was unexpected, and I had myself thought "this is not made in vanilla for sure" when I saw the third person doomguy with a chainsaw.

because only now I decided to check, was this credits video new to the latest update or it was added since launch?

12 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

because only now I decided to check, was this credits video new to the latest update or it was added since launch?

Since launch. 

I found myself with a switch a few days ago and i decided to give it a try and check out the port.

As people have mentioned before there's some sound issues (cyberdemon rockets sound a bit odd for some reason), plus some other small details, but all around it's a neat port, i've been playing SIGIL and having fun despite not getting completely used to the switch controller, one small detail that i noticed is that the game has been localized into other languages, is this the first time there's been an official non english localization for the classic doom games or was there any other port before that? Either way it's cool to see that, even if it feels odd at first haha

17 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It's not a simple case of "turning it off". There is zero logic in Doom for what to do with z axis collisions between actors for every scenario a z collision could occur. Outside of projectiles of course, which already do Z collisions and only need to do one thing: Detonate.

I know that.   Woo boy!   Nothing gets past you, Captain Oblivious.

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

I know that.   Woo boy!   Nothing gets past you, Captain Oblivious.

Good, maybe your posting can reflect that next time.

Playing it through, Doom, Doom 2, Master Levels, TNT, Plutonia, NRFTL then Sigil (order of release, I think but Master Levels might be later idk).

Gotta say it's probably the best official port (on console anyway), although odd quirks have been noticed like the chainsaw bugging out and sending me deaf by playing the wind down noise every single attack frame and enemies getting stuck on 90 degree walls (never seen that before, easily replicated on TNT MAP02 with the Revenant in the exit).

Other than that online multiplayer and maybe a leaderboard would be perfect, perhaps demos too but I think that would be pushing it (mind you Doom and even Duke 3D on the Xbox 360 had all those features I just listed).

I believe in this port, hopefully they continue to improve it, really impressed good job.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, cr0ma said:

I hope they add more content as they say, so even who doesn't know Doom yet as we know it can enjoy the community megawads and stuff.

Besides some stuff like the amount of enemies/rooms/linedefs/etc a wad can have, the use of Dehacked or other types of gameplay changes, used of outside copyrighted material, permission from authors and what happened to some of them etc...

I wonder if we could ever get something like No Rest For The Living again, where id actually gets someone to make a new "official" episode for the ports. (as long as they're also available for traditional Doom source ports and are free of course, like an ordinary wad that just happens to be official)

And i wonder if there could be something more than just a mapset with more differences.

Like, a way to promote Eternal being a TC with a modified engine or something where they execute the theme of Heaven in classic Doom, so it shares similarities to what's in Eternal or Eviternity but also has some things to make it stand on its out and has references to stuff like Jesus, some parallels to classic Doom Hell and a variety of textures and props.

Maybe some additions to the levels like jump pads, moving spikes/tentacles, moving floors like conveyor belts/rivers that can be used for dangerous parts like adding crushers or pits at the end (D64 kinda had moving floors but didn't use them a lot so they were just there) or just to push back the player, maybe some attempts at destructible walls (walls with health) or the sort of stuff one could see in Heretic, Hexen, D64 or ROTT.

Maybe some "healing" water even.

And then have Heaven merge with Hell, UAC or Earth on some levels. (and probably throw some medieval/snow stuff to represent the Sentinel and cultist worlds)

I can't see a new weapon but maybe they could add a bunch of 2016/Eternal enemies (most with sprites to look more "classic") to offer some new roles and tricks, so you get:

* Cybermancs shooting their equivalent of a toxic acid drop (like a poisounous gas cloud) to "pollute" the map.

* Dreadknights being tougher and faster melee enemies with some AoE attack.

* Prowlers with some occasional teleportation.

* Hell Razers with some charging rail gun attack or what could make up for limitations.

* Whatever could use the possessed engineer gimmick of a walking explosive barrel. (maybe the Hell Razers could have it)

* Summoners as occasional minibosses that behave like a smaller Icon of Sin (and they can summon any demon with some RNG behind it) and at least one encounter featuring an Archvile.

* Carcasses projecting some solid but transparent wall to block paths or stop attacks, that the automap even detects as a linedef.

* Fire Barons using some attack from someone else, like the Prowler's triple projectile shot, so they're more unique.

* Whatever could make the Gargoyle more unique as well, like using that one possessed soldier projectile that stops in mid air and explodes.

* Doom Hunter being a glorified flying Revenant who could steal that "rockets from above" move from 2016's Cyberdemon.

* Maybe the Hell Guards worm could be the equivalent of the Duke 3D Protozoid Slimers.

* Maybe change some previous demons, so Mancubi can use flamethrowers at close and Arachnotrons can occasionally shoot grenades or be placed on ceilings.

Not sure about power ups but they'd probably use Quad Damage. (i also wonder how they could execute the mini doomguy dolls, like megasphere backpack hybrids that act as the most special pick ups but are rare or collectibles that can help unlock an extra weapon)

Basically, a TC with some new stuff as an extra free episode that would end up as an official thing, with some talented modders/mappers/artists/creators behind it, as a promotion for Doom Eternal.

Won't happen and this doesn't even sound realistic, but this could serve as some inspiration for some mod.

edit: looking back at it, the Dreadknight could use that one Hell Guard attack where they have like 5 or so fire/energy lines coming from them and have them spin around them or something.

And Eternal was shown to have some skull things dropping lava, so those could be a stage hazard, like a floating skull block moving left and right with some lava pouring beneath it, that can hurt the player. (basically, those fire moving blocks in ROTT except the object (both the skull object and the falling lava) could be like a prop with sprites instead of being a sector/wall thing)

Edited by whatup876 : adding more dumb ideas, grammar

@whatup876 Yeah what you're wanting there sounds like they'd need the engine to be akin to GZDoom. That's a lot of extra work just for promoting a game.

E: Isn't Doom 64 technically promotion?

Edited by Lila Feuer

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Good, maybe your posting can reflect that next time.

In the meantime you might want to update your human interaction drivers.   The ones packaged with the v8.50 firmware seem deficient.

Don't know if anyone has already seen this? There was a cool interview over on the official Slayers Club site with John Romero where he speaks about creating SIGIL.

He also gives a shout out to his favourite mappers and to @Linguica and Doomworld.

Check it out

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/1vt4DnYWjIz6T8KbegBs8G/nods-to-mods-interview-john-romero

EDIT: I've created a thread for this now as to not derail this thread too much.

Edited by Eurisko

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

@whatup876 Yeah what you're wanting there sounds like they'd need the engine to be akin to GZDoom. That's a lot of extra work just for promoting a game.

E: Isn't Doom 64 technically promotion?

And i'm not even sure if they could use GZDoom or something related but i'm not too familiar with laws about it.

I remember hearing Doom 64 wasn't originally a Doom game at some point.

It could be "promotion" but for the Nintendo 64 at the time, i think, like a typical console exclusive.

Also, is it me or does the chainsaw in the new ports use the 64 sounds instead?

2 hours ago, whatup876 said:

And i'm not even sure if they could use GZDoom or something related but i'm not too familiar with laws about it.

GZDoom is GPLv3 which is incompatible with common console NDAs.

2 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I remember hearing Doom 64 wasn't originally a Doom game at some point.

It could be "promotion" but for the Nintendo 64 at the time, i think, like a typical console exclusive.

It always was a Doom game afaik, however, it was initially a lot more ambitious and grand in scale and scope than the final product, as the player was supposed to explore various interpretations of the concept of Hell of different cultures and religions, which ultimately did not happen, which is why the final product is much more in line with the previous game, although gameplay-wise, chances are it was going to stay the same anyway.

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

does the chainsaw in the new ports use the 64 sounds instead?

No.