Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zokum

Doom 2 city maps aren't actually that abstract...

I think it's in case the building "moves" a bit. To make it break in a controlled location without causing any damage to power, water lines, etc. There are several of these rather weird seams on the buildings in the area. Personally my favourites are the Doom 2 lamps and the KiNg_ReOL style slopes. I work in that building :).

Well, I suppose it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that stuff out. But should it?

Do people seriously criticize those levels for being abstract? I mean, this is Doom, what were they expecting? And its not like the other levels are less ambiguous too...

What about the white rocks on the ground in Downtown?

I always assumed they were suppose to be the bones of the people who used to live there before the demons invaded

On 12/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gustavo6046 said:

I'm more interested in that Daisy part. :o

I suspect that's because foxes eat rabbits. (Noticing your avatar)

eh, that's why unexpirienced mappers should avoid slopes!

p.s.: also, cmon, that fence texture colors are so washed out! one of the worst wood textures i've seen on any map.

p.p.s.: vegetation is good, tho. but i don't even want to think how slow this map renders, with so much grass 3d models!

On 12/21/2019 at 1:27 AM, Mystic 256 said:

What about the white rocks on the ground in Downtown?

I always assumed they were suppose to be the bones of the people who used to live there before the demons invaded

I always thought that texture was actually really good for urban environments because it looks like the rocks/gravel you will see on unfinished high rise rooftops (there’s some construction reason for this use that I’m unsure of).

But yeah, I don’t know why it’s on the ground in Downtown.

I can definitely relate to this, but even though Doom 2 is supposed to take place on earth I can't imagine 'modern' textures or even buildings used in the game. I still feel like the game needs a little bit of that hellish theme, (even if it's not necessarily taking place in hell). Without the grimm look the game wouldn't really fit in with the other Doom games in my opinion.

That being said a 'modern' texture pack for Doom 2 would definitely be an interesting thing to look into.

32 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

I can definitely relate to this, but even though Doom 2 is supposed to take place on earth I can't imagine 'modern' textures or even buildings used in the game.

Hm...

maxresdefault.jpg

1 minute ago, xzotikk said:

Well, take my word with a grain of salt..

I am, it was just a joke :p .

I thought everyone's cities had a giant arrow on the ground pointing to their nearest warehouse. You know, right next to Revenant Tower.

In all seriousness, I thought Doom 2's levels looked fine.

Guest Unregistered account

Maybe in the future parking arrows on roads look like that.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, seed said:

Hm...

maxresdefault.jpg

I live in Dallas and pass by this building all the time! There's lots of places around here that look like Doom 2 city levels.

Now we just need to find a suburb that looks like Suburbs. Complete with nukage pool, a thousand monsters (they just want a dip), and everyone's favourite house full of bodies.