Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

To me Mario 64 was the most engaging design in Mario games ever got because it put a bit more emphasis on exploration and adopting different routes and making each level feel like a mini sandbox with lots of little things to find in them.

The later 3D Mario games just decided to ditch most of that and go very linear again, which really makes me ask why even make them in 3D. Yeah I know the spheroid running thing in Mario Galaxy is neat (well I don't think its neat at all but I get why some might find it so). I haven't played Mario Odyssey at all, but I have tried the rest of them from the NES originals to 3D Land, and Mario 64 I think was the most interesting.

@Szuran 

I feel Heretic vanilla falls a little short but with the Wayfarer's Tome mod, which honestly functions more like a rebalance patch than any kind of overhaul, yes, I played through all 5 episodes and had a fantastic time. Some of the better levels are in the expansion episodes. 

Edited by hybridial

I thought Blood was a terrible and unfun game with a hokey weapons system, cheap enemy design, and unbalanced health and ammo. I forced myself through the first two levels, tried two different difficulty settings, and then asked for a refund. I have never been so dissapointed in my life with a "Classic".

Also, I liked Shadow Warrior better than Duke Nukem 3D.

6 minutes ago, 666shooter said:

I thought Blood was a terrible and unfun game with a hokey weapons system, cheap enemy design, and unbalanced health and ammo. I forced myself through the first two levels, tried two different difficulty settings, and then asked for a refund. I have never been so dissapointed in my life with a "Classic".

To be honest you should have played on the easiest difficulty setting on Blood. It's still not that easy but it feels much more like Shadow Warrior and Duke on their normal difficulties. 

I think all three games are about equally good but Blood is the hardest by far and not one I would try to play on Well Done, that's for damn sure. 

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

To be honest you should have played on the easiest difficulty setting on Blood. It's still not that easy but it feels much more like Shadow Warrior and Duke on their normal difficulties. 

I think all three games are about equally good but Blood is the hardest by far and not one I would try to play on Well Done, that's for damn sure. 

I mean I definitely didn't start with the highest difficultly setting, I think I chose the one just below it, expecting more of a "Hurt Me Plenty" equivalent. Since I'm not new to old school shooters I wasn't really prepared to have to bump it down even further, but I tried it again a step lower; by the time I finally got to the second level, however, I just realized I wasn't enjoying myself At All. I understand, aesthetically speaking, why people like the horror elements, and the dynamite looks cool and is a great idea, accuracy and blast radius notwithstanding, but it just definitely wasn't for me.

Yeah, Blood is pretty ruthless due to how deadly some of its enemies are, no doubt here.

You could try giving it another chance, but this time be on your toes and when you see an enemy, shoot or immediately take cover, they don't forgive, esp the Cultists. Also crouch often, it makes a ton of difference in this game, it isn't there just for the cool effect.

15 minutes ago, 666shooter said:

I mean I definitely didn't start with the highest difficultly setting, I think I chose the one just below it, expecting more of a "Hurt Me Plenty" equivalent. Since I'm not new to old school shooters I wasn't really prepared to have to bump it down even further

Yeah some people go in every game assuming the difficulties will always relate to other games but well that's a bit of a logical fallacy. Every game tends to have its own approach to difficulty and I think with Blood they started from wanting to test people's skills on the easiest difficulty to just getting outright sadistic. Civvie 11 did a pro series on Blood because he's been playing it for decades and he still only did it on the second highest difficulty. 

For me just now I stick to the two easiest difficulties, easiest for a relatively leisurely playthrough and the next for more of a challenge. Going further than that isn't reasonable for my skill level. 

I prefer Lightly Broiled. I tried higher but uh, I think I got destroyed or something 🤣.

I stick with Lightly Broiled too. And even that took some gittin' gud. But once I learnt of the alt-fire modes and realized how powerful Blood's shotty really is, I was all set.

Wow, this thread suddenly came back to life. I guess I'll now post my unpopular opinions:

Opposing force is the best half-life game.

The sound effects in Mega man 2 (GB) are not as bad as some people say, I actually give them credits for the original soundtrack they composed.

The ''non-linear'' levels in doom 1 are way more confusing than the ones in doom 2.

Quake 2 is way better than quake 1 (Although a lot of people already said this)

The controller of the N64 was ok.

Pokemon Gold and Silver are not that good.

5 minutes ago, Mortrixs19 said:

...Quake 2 is way better than quake 1 (Although a lot of people already said this)...

Peace was never an option.

14 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Peace was never an option.

Peace is a lie, there's only passion!

In all seriousness, no, Quake 2 being better than Quake 1 is anything but an unpopular opinion on DW. I, too, prefer the OG Quake over Quake 2, I think it has a better bestiary and arsenal, plus a far more magical, almost enchanting atmosphere, but yeah this is in no way a popular opinion here, similar to how liking Doom 2's level design and Sandy's style already puts you in a minority.

1 hour ago, 666shooter said:

This reminds me that I have an unpopular opinion of my own to throw in here.

Shadow Warrior (97) is a horrible game plagued by sporadic balancing, especially in the enemy department, unsatisfying weaponry, unmemorable locations aside from the city levels and some of the temples, at times, frustrating and confusing level design with obtuse progression and tedious platforming sections, all topped off with an annoying protagonist who I cannot stand.

I honestly find it baffling how people give Blood so much shit for its balance issues (and there are many, this isn't me defending the cultists) but somehow SW never gets a mention for having an enemy you can barely see, and can kill you in one fucking hit, on the first level. Even the worst Blood has to offer doesn't even come close. And that's just the beginning. I can go on and on. 

17 minutes ago, Maggle said:

This reminds me that I have an unpopular opinion of my own to throw in here.

Shadow Warrior (97) is a horrible game plagued by sporadic balancing, especially in the enemy department, unsatisfying weaponry, unmemorable locations aside from the city levels and some of the temples, at times, frustrating and confusing level design with obtuse progression and tedious platforming sections, all topped off with an annoying protagonist who I cannot stand.

I honestly find it baffling how people give Blood so much shit for its balance issues (and there are many, this isn't me defending the cultists) but somehow SW never gets a mention for having an enemy you can barely see, and can kill you in one fucking hit, on the first level. Even the worst Blood has to offer doesn't even come close. And that's just the beginning. I can go on and on. 

While I personally found SW's weaponry fairly enjoyable- the quad shotgun and dual uzis are both satisfying to use and the homing missles were a nice touch- yes, I will agree that sometimes the progression is very confusing and the shadow enemy is outright broken at times. The platforming wasn't fun either, but not as bad as in Turok.

So how popular is the opinion that Blood, Shadow Warrior 97, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake 2, Doom and Doom 2 are all very awesome?

Though I admit I'd probably say I'd rank Doom 2 (as in Doom 2's campaign, not the awesome things mappers went on to do with it) the lowest of that list. 

13 minutes ago, 666shooter said:

While I personally found SW's weaponry fairly enjoyable- the quad shotgun and dual uzis are both satisfying to use and the homing missles were a nice touch- yes, I will agree that sometimes the progression is very confusing and the shadow enemy is outright broken at times. The platforming wasn't fun either, but not as bad as in Turok.

Shotgun's completely fucked. Basic ninja enemies need two shotgun blasts to kill. The burst fire mode is all but useless, because everything you try to use it on survives all four blasts point-blank (namely Coolies and Rippers. Don't get me started on Coolies. You know what would be awesome and not annoying at all? If we made a suicide-bombing enemy, but make them take a million hits, and then, when it finally dies, it spawns an annoying ghost enemy that will ambush you at the worst possible timing.) You only get 52 shells, and when every enemy takes (on average) 3 or 4 shells to take down, sometimes 5 or 6, you're running out of shotshells pretty quickly.

So the shotgun sucks. It looks cool, but that only amounts to so much. Basically, the only decent weapons are the Dual Uzis and the Rocket Launcher. Sometimes the Grenade Launcher, if I'm not accidentally blowing myself up because the damn things bounce all over the place. Everything else is either underwhelming, too much of a self-hazard, or held back by the games paltry ammo limits.

20 minutes ago, hybridial said:

So how popular is the opinion that Blood, Shadow Warrior 97, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake 2, Doom and Doom 2 are all very awesome?

Very popular.

Well, okay, SW maybe not so much because it does lack noticeably in polish (not much, mind you, but the edges are definitely rough), and the humor is rather hit-or-miss. You either like Lo Wang and the universe's jokes, or you don't, there's really no middle ground here.

Also, one of its expansions, Wanton Destruction, was actually not finished and some rather dumb issues remain in it (such as Zilla and his secretary not spawning on the boss map on lower skill settings) as it originally fell into obscurity along with Sunstorm Interactive (and also Deadly Kiss), whereas all the other games might have had expansions of varying levels of quality, but were ultimately finished.

16 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I don't think that's unpopular at all. The people that say Quake 2 sucks are in a vocal minority, and mostly still have sour grapes over how it abandoned the Lovecraftian style. Some people have legitimate complaints with it, the most common being that it's too easy, which strikes me as legitimate, because Quake 1's actually pretty damn hard, so you'd naturally expect the sequel to be a hard game as well. But the common opinion seems to be that Quake II is a good game, just a real easy one.

Yeah I really like Quake 2 because of its inherent speed, the soundtrack and the combat really work well in tandem to create a sense of adrenaline that surpasses a lot of other games really.

The only issue I have with it myself is the hit detection with grenades and rockets is iffy, because of what they tried to do with enemies "ducking" to avoid fire. Sometimes it means things just pass right through them and those are moments I'm not pleased with the game :P

45 minutes ago, Maggle said:

I don't think that's unpopular at all. The people that say Quake 2 sucks are in a vocal minority, and mostly still have sour grapes over how it abandoned the Lovecraftian style. Some people have legitimate complaints with it, the most common being that it's too easy

It's quite easy indeed. My main complaint about it is that it's boring, repetitive and uninspired. In terms of everything besides engine technology is easily the worst game in the:

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

Blood, Shadow Warrior 97, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake 2, Doom and Doom 2

bunch.

I mean I can totally understand the people who say they dislike Quake or Blood or SW (or even Duke) for the balance or the weapons or the bestiary or the style. To each his own, but at least every one of these games has character. Doom and Doom 2 are not something that should be explained on Doomworld. However, Quake II is just one repetitive brown-orange "meh" from beginning to end. But maybe it's part of its appeal to some. Just mindless run-around and slaughter.

Yeah I don't really understand the argument that Quake 2 doesn't have "character". It's a bit different and not as integral to the game as others, but it's still there in terms of sci fi body horror. To me the shooters that have no character are typically the military ones which just don't interest me in the slightest. And if the argument is about the aesthetics, the first Quake is often derided for that as well. I actually like what both games do in terms of their aesthetics. 

All three classic build engine games feature incredibly unsatisfying weaponry and irritatingly bullet spongy enemies that leads to an overly arcadey, a-visceral and inherently flaccid experience

Quake 2 is pretty awesome and I did like it better than Q1.  But after going deep into community maps and a month-long binge of Q1 I can hardly play Q2 because it's so slow in comparison.  Q1 is tight and fast.  Q2 is hella slow, the enemy reaction time is their disadvantage and once you get the power shield you beat the game.  Q1's design is tight and each gun/enemy has a purpose.  I just can't easily go back to Q2 sp anymore.

4 minutes ago, ketmar said:

after Doom, id never managed to produce a decent game.

Peace truly is a lie.

I didn't post an opinion I guess.

Crash Bandicoot isn't that fun. It's practically physicsless, and feels bad. Art is good though. Crash Team Racing is better than Mario Kart 64. The best Mario Kart is Double Dash. Mario Sunshine has the best platforming in the 3D games (but I haven't played odyssey yet).

Unreal is better than Quake. UT99 is better than Q3, except for deathmatch maybe. 

SNES Doom is still fun and I like it.

Blood is better than Duke3D in the Build game lineup

The original Quake is a very boring game to look at

Earthbound is not a flawless masterpiece

A single initial title does not "establish a franchise formula" nor did the 2nd game being different(Zelda 2, SMB2) use that formula as a toilet because it was different.

Castlevania got better when it copied Metroid & ditched the instant death pits everywhere.

The original Metroid aged like a jug of milk but was really heavily flawed & limited even when it was fresh.

3 hours ago, diosoth said:

Blood is better than Duke3D in the Build game lineup

Not an unpopular opinion.

The mother games (EarthBound) are overrated as fuck and the only reason people even play them is cause mother 1 hadn't been released till' 2016, earthbound (mother 2)

may have come to the US but it's shitty marketing and lack of sales no one gave a shit about it. But then everybody and their dog was talking about 3 which is overrated to point where i say that any indie game isn't as overrated as the mother games.