Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Two new levels released!

Two new levels of mine, Wasted 1 and 2, are now available for your Dooming pleasure. Until they're moved to /newstuff, you can grab 'em from my site. Oh yeah, there's one screenshot of each on my site too.

Wasted 1 was actually released a few months ago, but thanks to several playtesters (see the text file) the gameplay is now mucho improved :) It also has considerably more detail; while the original worked with doom2.exe, you'll now need a limit removing port.

Wasted 2 is brand new, and is probably the first proper single player level use the 'true 3d' trick I discovered. This level also requires a limit removing port.

I see in the screenshots that all the monsters are already dead(or sleeping). Why should I download a map that has already been finished!?! =P

Shtbag667 said:

Love the detail and textures. Would you consider joining me to work on a project?

well... what about put some download links or links to pictures of your maps?.

Cool, Nick Baker maps are always good news. I loved the original Wasted. Played it loads of times (I mean literally tens if not into the hundreds of times).

A really nice little map for a few minutes of good, fun, well balanced dooming. Can't wait to see what you've done with it, and what part 2 is like (downloading)...

Edit: H'okay 2 nice maps there. Playing Wasted1 was really odd. Same little compact map with nice gameplay and despite its size, a choice or routes through the level, but looking much spiffier. Kind of like looking at yourself in the mirror after forgetting that you have had a dramatic haircut or something. The face is the same, but its all very different too.

Wasted 2, again a very enjoyable not-quite-so-compact map. IMO, you've really captured the qualities of what doom gameplay is about, feeding the correct level of monsters in, along with the correct weapons, with good progression. The green textures are very nice: Unusual, but still doomy and giving the level a look of its own. (I presume those are the ones from MM mentioned in the text.)

So, 2 nice levels with very good doom style gameplay but with an updated quality of look to them. Both levels are a nice size for loading up, playing a bit of doom to relieve the frustrations of the day and then getting on with your life. Good music choices too.

Nice, Thanks Nick.

(Played 'em with Zdoom 2.0.34 without any problems.)

Shtbag667 said:

Love the detail and textures. Would you consider joining me to work on a project?

I'm afraid I'm already contributing to a lot of Doom projects - Paradox, Wrath, Mordeth Episode 2, CXN, RTC3057, Freedoom and two secret projects. Not to mention several non-Doom projects ;)

Heh.

Wasted 2 is quite nice. Personally I'm not very fond of the kill-a-horde-of-chaingunners-with-a-shotgun kind of gameplay, but it works. Looks good too.

Perhaps you should have made the 3D trick a little less subtle? I didn't notice it until I played through the level only to look for it :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys :)

Despite all the projects I mentioned above, it looks like the next three levels I finish will all be publically available. One is TR-10 (screenshots on my site which I really should have finished ages ago. The others areFreedoom E4M1 and map22, both of which you will of course be able to download from the Freedoom Deutex tree.

Yeah, nice. I only noticed the 3D effect because I played the map in JDoom which completely screwed it up. Looks nice in software renderers though.

Not a fan of the copy & pasted symmetrical design though... doesn't make the maps overall very interesting.

I'll believe that you'll release maps once I see them. :)