Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Can't we have at least 50x50? 35x35 is squintable on my 1280x1024 res

Actually, it's 36x36. 71 pixels make aaaaall the difference, doesn't it, heheh?

Mr. Chris said:

Can't we have at least 50x50?

I guess you've never tried connecting to Doomworld via a mobile phone. Even some of the fancier 36x36 avatars cause an irritating delay.

I didn't know phones could check out webpages. Then again, I have a crap phone. My question is, can a PDA like a Palm Pilot connect to webpages?

I'd like to see 60x60 avatars, but I understand people with slower connections.

Why not enable 60x60 ones, then have an option to automatically shrink them? Like, if you access it with one of these phones, let the user set an option to shrink them and set it in a cookie. Then again, I'm not even sure if this is possible.

Upping the avatar size would simply be the first step down a path of teh retardedness. Linguica wouldn't like it.

Grazza said:

I guess you've never tried connecting to Doomworld via a mobile phone. Even some of the fancier 36x36 avatars cause an irritating delay.

You've browsed the forums using a cell phone before? I consider the cell phone the key to social freedom... and you're using it to browse the forums. Your right to use the cell phone is taken away, I now expect you to ship it over here to me where it can be used for the many ways of making money. (meep meep)

Anyway, back on topic, I support bigger avatars as well, 50x50 is nice and sexy, plus many people already did something to their current avatar to make it that size in order for it to fit in as your buddyicon on aim.

Upping the avatar size would simply be the first step down a path of teh retardedness.

No, the first and only step to teh retardedness which already exists was banning Lüt.

Linguica wouldn't like it.

I hate to break it to ya, but ling doesn't give a rat's ass anymore, and I doubt he would have before either.

Mr. Chris said:

Im running at the same resolution and it looks fine to me. Why do you need such a huge avatar?

EDIT: 50 by 50 would look ridiculous and cluttered.

At first, I didn't like how the size limit for Avatars are 36 x 36, but I've gotten used to it. It's better to have tiny avatars then to have none at all. :p

I'd like a bigger avatar too.. so I can see what the heck mine is ;)

*is working towards having a custom one someday*

Mr. Chris said:

Lower your screen resolution - it's that simple.

Judging by the fact that Mr Druggie also went under the nick NXN elsewhere, I'd say yes.

And I don't like to see larger avatars than 36x36 on DW - having so little space to work with is good practice for me when I want to do fishie avatars and yup, bigger avatars will lead to increased retardation imo.

The avatars are not for looking at. They simply put a little personality into it and makes it easier and faster to recognize the poster. Bigger avatars would look incredibly stupid.

Shaviro said:

The avatars are not for looking at. They simply put a little personality into it and makes it easier and faster to recognize the poster. Bigger avatars would look incredibly stupid.

Of course, making a prettier looking avatar is always fun...

No, the first and only step to teh retardedness which already exists was banning Lüt.

If you had been the Webmaster and someone blocked you from your own website I think you'd ban the person and generally be pissed at him.

Maintaining a website like this is friggin' hard and complicated work. I think Ling got pissed because suddenly he had to spend forever working his ass off just to get back on the site.

So this "retardedness" you implied really came from Lüt if you ask me - I don't blame him though, seeing as I eventually got tired of being a nice, helpful person myself (that's why people now think I'm too strict, which I probably am too).

Mr. Chris said:

35x35 is squintable on my 1280x1024 res

I'm in 1600x1200 and the 36x36 ones are fine...

Mr. Chris said:

There will be no size increase. We're happy with how our forums look so far. Big avatars distract attention. As Shav pointed it, avatars are just here to personalize/help figuring out who's posting quickly.

I personally don't care if the avatars never get any bigger on Doomworld, however, I do want to point out that forums I moderate use 100x100 avs and it looks perfectly fine. No clutter and no complaints thus far.

Of course, if you really want to have fun with avs, check Doom Depot's forums. You can make huge animated avs to your heart's content.

FirebrandX said:

Of course, if you really want to have fun with avs, check Doom Depot's forums. You can make huge animated avs to your heart's content.

Likewise on the Doomcenter forums, but I doubt reducing avatar size would reduce retardedness of content in that case.

Avatars = dumb. It's the content of your posts that matters.

lolkekekekekekekekekLoolprrrrrrrrfffff~~~sdfglk*:E

Fredrik said:

lolkekekekekekekekekLoolprrrrrrrrfffff~~~sdfglk*:E

Fredrik's title:
Total Retard

Custom title also helps to see what kind of person is talking :P

Yeah, it is me, teh or1n, comming at you live from an ugly basement in PA.

dsm said:

Of course, making a prettier looking avatar is always fun...

If you had been the Webmaster and someone blocked you from your own website I think you'd ban the person and generally be pissed at him.

Maintaining a website like this is friggin' hard and complicated work. I think Ling got pissed because suddenly he had to spend forever working his ass off just to get back on the site.

Heh, not this discussion again, it was an obvious joke, and this "working his ass off" you speak of, I'm pretty sure it took less than 2 minutes. Ling just needs to re-adjust his sence of humor.

So this "retardedness" you implied really came from Lüt if you ask me - I don't blame him though, seeing as I eventually got tired of being a nice, helpful person myself (that's why people now think I'm too strict, which I probably am too).

Now this I must argue. How could it have came from him if he was banned? I do recall the forums being in excellent shape before his banning, so if anything his lack of presence is what caused the forums to pretty much be like they are at this moment. And you know perfectly well they aren't as good as they used to be, otherwise all those people would have never left.

Back on topic, I fail to see how a few (well 1204) pixels would cause this forum to go out of control and start a spontanous generation of retards. I really couldn't picture there being anyone here that would start running around with their genitals out just because they have a little bit more freedom. Shit, honestly I couldn't even picture myself doing that if I won the cannabis cup (my new goal in life). =P

Actually, I suppose you could say large bright images would attract more youth over here, but still, I don't think 50x50 is large, I only want it because it's a more practical size, and maybe because my moose fish's antler seems to be cut off right now. I guess that's of no concern to you people though, so I'll end my bitching.

nxn said:

Wrong.

Darkstalker said:

Custom title also helps to see what kind of person is talking :P

Heh. :)

ravage said:

Haven't you seen him on lately? Wake up.

By banning I also meant demoding, him just posting here has no effect on everyone else's behavior, him modding this place would. Now don't make me stuff my pillow down your throat. =P

I made a mistake. I usually don't think before I speak. Oh, and your pillow wouldn't last very long. ;)

Assmaster said:

While we're on the subject, where's a good place to upload my custom avatar?

Get someone to upload it for you on their server for 5 minutes, then log into the user acount and specify the URL. After that the image is stored on dw and the person that's storing that image can delete it. I'd do it for you, but I lost access to /demise =P