Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Share Your Sprites!

On 1/10/2020 at 7:32 PM, GJC said:

Rough looking crowd control test:

Screenshot_Doom_MZOMB.png.52368b8b8317349bea7fae883b1977ef.png

These take sooo long, still not done.

The clothing makes me think of the STARS members, particularly Forest's zombie in Resident Evil 1's Director's cut. Looks slick!

15 hours ago, ThrashMetalFanBert94 said:

how about an alpha styled UDV hud, WIP and what color scheme can go well?
image.png.2612f730a2a8d4c3dfb4c26d14d2ad03.png

Terribly sorry I'm not commenting the answer to your woe - but I just wanted to say an alpha styled hud would be rather spiffing

am i the only one who is so hyped that we finally will get at least a little smidgen of a view of the Slayer's face? Tbh it's nice to know that the Keen family tree is still in the lore in the newer versions.

(wish Wolfenstein would jump on board with this lore)

On dimanche 12 janvier 2020 at 3:48 PM, Rainne said:

I've taken it upon myself to change the Hexen playable characters into female versions. Here's what I have so far for the Fighter. She's blonde because something has to use the gold colors (near the end of the palette) for color-swapping and that seems like a natural thing to use that color; although colors and shading are defined separately so I can switch that around.

I used a posedoll thing for the basic posture from each direction (my initial freehand attempts weren't very good) but otherwise entirely drawn from scratch. I found in an earlier sketch test that a level viewpoint isn't the best, especially for the diagonal directions, so I set the posedoll viewing angle higher. Perhaps too high, since the sprites clip into the ground badly in GZDoom with 3D rendering (the origin point is set between her feet, which can extend well below the origin when positioned forward), but I'm targeting vanilla anyway and it works pretty well there.

There aren't done yet (head and hands are still mostly blobs; have only recently disabled the original sketch layer so having to translate some of that into proper shading), and I still have to do the attack/pain/death animations, and give her a sword for each frame × direction (some to be mirrored from these). And then of course do all this again for the Cleric and Mage. 😩 Also I want to redraw some of the wielded weapon sprites to replace the meaty male hands; already I've redrawn the Fighter's Spiked Gauntlets, at least. I've also cribbed some replacement sounds from another mod; that alone goes a long way toward the experience when playing.

It's been a long uphill battle just to get to this point. But not bad so far for a first serious project, I think.

Female Fighter progress spritesheet.png

Looks a bit cuter than the art direction in Hexen, though that might just be because of the head and hands being blobs.

It's a good idea, there are plenty of Doomgal sprites around, with varying levels of quality, but nothing for the other games.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Looks a bit cuter than the art direction in Hexen

Yeah, that's... actually been troubling me lately. 😕

I saw this the other way in another thread that looks like a much better approach to a female Fighter in Hexen:

On 1/5/2020 at 11:53 PM, Rince-wind said:

cnbFf9I.jpg

I don't want to just copy the design, though. Nor do I want to scrap what I've done so far, although honestly the execution isn't representing what I was aiming for. That Brom artwork gives her a rather masculine physique (broad upper body, narrow hips), although I was aiming more to emphasize hips/legs since it looks sturdy and powerful in a distinctly feminine way. The result so far doesn't really capture that and looks fairly generic, though.

Also, the original sprites in Hexen all hide the face. The Fighter doesn't wear much but does wear a head-concealing helmet. I don't like that as a general feature (I use the "hide helmet" option in modern RPGs where I can), although it may be necessary to make it feel like it belongs in Hexen. A pity, though; I've already started on her attack frames and I like the way I made her hair flow to indicate action. Plus the hair is surprisingly easy to draw/shade. -- Or it may simply be that her head is too big for her body. Or shorter hair might work too; I could give the Mage the long hair instead. (I figure the Cleric would have done-up hair, like a bun or something.) But come on; scantily-clad barbarians and long hair just go together!

I've made some adjustments to the sprite under influence from that Brom artwork (changing clothes a bit, will add a belt), and eventually I'll have to figure out how to shade for muscle tone, and of course give her a stronger face. Hopefully I don't have to start over; but if I do, maybe I'll repurpose this for Heretic instead, a female Corvus?

Female Fighter progress spreadsheet 2.png

I think it looks great so far. The base is definitely there. It already looks less "cute" and more fierce. Not even sure what exactly you changed. Add some weapons and armor and it will defninitely look great and not too cute for Hexen, imho.

For a female Corvus, we have Kiera!

SF3fMrM.jpg

The official female player character for Heretic II.

Of course, in that game, Corvus looks like this:

QIQRzK0.jpg

Instead of this:

gu19yHl.png

Anyways, I like the look of those attack animations.

And yeah, Hexen did away with player faces -- part of this I think was cheating, kind of like how Super Mario's mustache was a cheat. Definitely agree that if any Hexen character gotta have her hair free, it'd be the fighter, the cleric would wear a helmet and the mage a hood.

seKm6Vg.png
Big ole dump of stuff I'm working on for RN, if you'll want to use them you have to resize to half, and cut to your liking.

So: Blinis, Jellied Eels, Emergency Hardtacks, Coconut Water, Orange Juice, Hot Coffee (Credits to Zero X Diamond for the coffee mug) Big ole Hotdog, and Cowboy Bebop-inspired Noodles, Deus Ex-inspired Soy, and Crappy Pack of Chips (or Crisps for those of the UK) -- All Food stuff
Newspaper, Salt and Pepper Shakers, Cleaning Spray.

Folded Rad Suit (for Inventory stuff primarily) and White Phosphor Light Amp Goggles.
and finally Nitrogen Barrel.

7 hours ago, Rainne said:

The Fighter doesn't wear much but does wear a head-concealing helmet. I don't like that as a general feature (I use the "hide helmet" option in modern RPGs where I can), although it may be necessary to make it feel like it belongs in Hexen.

The mage in Hexen has glowing eyes, so maybe her hair is long enough to cover her face while leaving a small black gap where you could see a glowing blue eye (or whatever colour you choose)

Trying my hand at buffing her up a bit to better fit her role; with varying levels of quality. She does look more muscular, yet also more scrawny rather than big; like I've taken mass away by doing this. Not an unfixable problem but remains to be addressed. Also tried adding a studded leather headband. The studs are so it doesn't look like a golf visor. Hopefully she looks more like someone who can drop an Ettin in three punches. Also frame IDs for reference.

Also And I redrew the punch sprite last month; in fact that was the first major thing I did toward this goal since it's the main thing you see when playing, for lack of a status bar face. You normally only see the player sprite when someone else is using it: another player in coop/DM, or the Necropolis bosses. (Speaking of the latter, I need to keep in mind that the sprites need to be "evil-compatible". Which again brings me back to that Brom painting from a few posts ago.) This one is more clearly based on the original punch sprite rather than being drawn from scratch, but I did try to make it a bit more unique, such as claws in place of an armored hand. The purple ribbons were meant to be a feminine touch and to obscure the lack of detail in the bracer, but that may be redundant now so I could easily remove them.

While drawing it, I realized the Fighter's armor is basically leather with a metal casing around it, rather than being just metal. It makes sense, and explains the little leather buckles. Looking at this punch sprite again, I should probably recolor the trim accordingly. I've also been going over the player sprites and converting them to that: metal with leather trim.

Muscle test.png

Female Fighter punch scaled.png

Looking good so far. Love the definitions of her muscles. Looks not too strong or weird, but not too feminine either. Like a very lean athlete.

2JSchJJ.png
An HK SMG-2 MP5SD mashup I made for RN, more or less after watching Forgotten Weapons video on the topic. I'm uploading this more or less because I can't have such a thing to combat feature creep, so more or less having it here incase people want to use such a thing.

Credits: Captain-J, and DoomNukem

On 1/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, Rainne said:

Trying my hand at buffing her up a bit to better fit her role; with varying levels of quality. She does look more muscular, yet also more scrawny rather than big; like I've taken mass away by doing this. Not an unfixable problem but remains to be addressed. Also tried adding a studded leather headband. The studs are so it doesn't look like a golf visor. Hopefully she looks more like someone who can drop an Ettin in three punches. Also frame IDs for reference.

Also And I redrew the punch sprite last month; in fact that was the first major thing I did toward this goal since it's the main thing you see when playing, for lack of a status bar face. You normally only see the player sprite when someone else is using it: another player in coop/DM, or the Necropolis bosses. (Speaking of the latter, I need to keep in mind that the sprites need to be "evil-compatible". Which again brings me back to that Brom painting from a few posts ago.) This one is more clearly based on the original punch sprite rather than being drawn from scratch, but I did try to make it a bit more unique, such as claws in place of an armored hand. The purple ribbons were meant to be a feminine touch and to obscure the lack of detail in the bracer, but that may be redundant now so I could easily remove them.

While drawing it, I realized the Fighter's armor is basically leather with a metal casing around it, rather than being just metal. It makes sense, and explains the little leather buckles. Looking at this punch sprite again, I should probably recolor the trim accordingly. I've also been going over the player sprites and converting them to that: metal with leather trim.

Muscle test.png

Female Fighter punch scaled.png

Never seen any sprite attempt at female Hexen classes, so this looks promising.

In fact, it kind of reminds me of the Amazon from Atlus' Dragon's Crown. (and also Nippon Ichi Software so it's not entirely Atlus but now this is getting off topic for Doom and co)

@Shtbag667 Dude! I've been looking for some trees to use in my projects. That last row with the first several dead looking trees. They all look most excellent.

Exporting sprites to a playable form is a good way to smoke-test the animations/posing, to check how consistent everything is between adjacent angles and adjacent frames. GZDoom is pretty handy for this since I can whip up a custom actor that uses the sprites and see how it goes.

Did that again earlier and noticed her walk animation seemed a little odd from one particular angle. Here's the B6 frame, along with the posedoll snapshot it began from (before being scaled down to sprite size). What's wrong with this picture? 🤦🏻‍♀️

FF B6 pose derp.png

4 hours ago, Rainne said:

What's wrong with this picture?

The perspective is a bit weird on the legs. It doesn't look like her right leg is forward as much as it probably should be, so it kinda makes her have one long left leg and one short right leg.

Hard to say. Obviously the arm is in a different position, but I guess that's due to holding a weapon later on.