Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

There's still tons of community wads I haven't even touched.

I realized that i don't know a lot of the secrets for 3 and 4 of Doom (The Ultimate Doom for EP 4). I guess i just spend too much time playing EP 1 as that's my favorite haha! I do know quite a few in EP 2 but when i get to EP 3 i just don't know that many and 4 you can forget it except for the first few maps. I've been playing more UD so i've been discovering them. Now if only i can remember them... ;)

For Doom II i know jack all for secrets (besides for a few maps here and there) as i don't play Doom II that much tbh. I'm really quite bad with the SSG but i'm quite good with the regular Shotgun (or so i think). It might be due to the fact that i tend to play more UD map replacements, especially older ones. I'm not up to "modern standards" as a Doom player but i have fun nonetheless ;)

7 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I realized that i don't know a lot of the secrets for 3 and 4 of Doom (The Ultimate Doom for EP 4). I guess i just spend too much time playing EP 1 as that's my favorite haha! I do know quite a few in EP 2 but when i get to EP 3 i just don't know that many and 4 you can forget it except for the first few maps. I've been playing more UD so i've been discovering them. Now if only i can remember them... ;)

For Doom II i know jack all for secrets (besides for a few maps here and there) as i don't play Doom II that much tbh. I'm really quite bad with the SSG but i'm quite good with the regular Shotgun (or so i think). It might be due to the fact that i tend to play more UD map replacements, especially older ones. I'm not up to "modern standards" as a Doom player but i have fun nonetheless ;)

It's hard to be bad with the SSG.  Use it at close range and it will either one or two-shot most enemies, except for the Baron of Hell, Archvile, Cyber Demon, and Spider Masterminds.

5 minutes ago, Master O said:

It's hard to be bad with the SSG.  Use it at close range and it will either one or two-shot most enemies, except for the Baron of Hell, Archvile, Cyber Demon, and Spider Masterminds.

True! I'm also quite bad at ammo management compared to the regular Shotgun. But the SSG is a lot more powerful and fun to use :) It's just not really a "sniper" like the regular Shotgun lol.

I savescum a lot. I'm looking to try and start break the habit by running doom 1 UV -fast without saves when I'm done with Eviternity. Who knows - I started doing pistol starts when I tried it with Ancient Aliens, so this might help a lot!

Or maybe i'll just get really frustrated. Who knows.

I started enjoying megawads (and for that matter the D2/FD IWADs) a lot more once I started looking at them less as a continuous adventure to go through from beginning to end but rather as bundles of individual levels that I could put down or pick up on wherever without worrying about having a save left over from the earlier maps.

3 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

I think Hangar is a dumb map, and I hate the music from it.

Spoiler

heresy.gif.0b2b21f0f1640ccc655777bf2fade756.gif

It took me about a year to figure out you can mouselook, crouch, and jump in ZDoom/GZDoom... And even longer to figure out you're not supposed to play like that normally. Don't even remind me about texture filtering on GZDoom. In short, big dumdum here.

I've never played any of the ports/console releases, even the PSX/PS1 ones. Except for Doom64 EX.

I've never completed anything on Nightmare. Don't think I'll ever even attempt it.

I've never found a single secret level, and I suck at finding secrets in general.

I genuinely enjoy everything about FreeDoom Phase 1 & 2 and am even playing through Sigil with Phase 1 as my IWAD in Crispy Doom.

On that note, I genuinely enjoy Sigil too. Although I am still figuring it out, only 4 maps in.

Most of the time I like the soundtrack of any Doom on OPL3 more than the actual MIDIs, although there's plenty space in my heart for the MIDIs too.

Don't hit me too hard.

1 hour ago, Tartlman said:

I haven't finished alien vendetta and i honestly don't think i want to

I played it up to the MAP30, saw that that's a rehash of Icon of Sin with mandatory speedrunning tactics, gave it a few tries and decided "yeah no".  I haven't regretted that decision.

There are some pretty good/memorable maps in there though.

I've never fully played Doom 2016. The most exposure I've gotten from that game is through the many GZDoom mods that have been made.

I feel dumb for writing this. I have a technical problem with the forums and I need to talk to some Administrator/Moderator. Are there any active ones around?

It may well be best for an Admin to handle it, but if you say what the issue you're experiencing is maybe myself or another user could help you out, perhaps we've experienced the same problem and know a solution. :)

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

It may well be best for an Admin to handle it, but if you say what the issue you're experiencing is maybe myself or another user could help you out, perhaps we've experienced the same problem and know a solution. :)

I just made a stupid, stupid mistake by registering with Google. There was a reason for this: I thought that I would just post once, but these forums are a great knowledge base and I want to be here "for real". Now I have to enter Google's verification code almost each time during the log-in process. I wonder if an Admin can get rid of this Google thing and make my account a standard one. Or do I have to create a new one?

1. I've never beaten DooM 1, it was my first DooM and I rage quit before I could finish and just started playing DooM 2, I did beat DooM 2 on UV though.

2. I can't play any DooM WAD without save scumming, and even when I don't need to save scum I still save scum out of habit.

3. sometimes if I die a lot on a WAD I use god mode and/or give ammo/all, that's unforgivable and I apologise sincerly.

1. I don't like Doom 2. It's levels suck.

2. I have never beaten Final Doom

3. I kind of unironically like the Jaguar Doom levels in the PSX Doom TC mod.

4. I godmode perfect hatred.

I uh, I was alone this one time while playing hdoom cause I was just curious and.....closed my laptop and read the Bible instead. 

On 1/11/2020 at 2:38 AM, LAWstorant said:

I just made a stupid, stupid mistake by registering with Google. There was a reason for this: I thought that I would just post once, but these forums are a great knowledge base and I want to be here "for real". Now I have to enter Google's verification code almost each time during the log-in process. I wonder if an Admin can get rid of this Google thing and make my account a standard one. Or do I have to create a new one?

You can login using other platforms too (as long as you use the same e-mail)

I started playing doom with a pirated copy (don't worry, i went and bought it sometime later). I think the doom2.wad that i use is still the pirated one. Not final doom, though.

I used to prefer heavy texture filtering in GZdoom, to the point of everything looking like it was coated in a viscous, slimy layer of Vaseline. 

i think i already said this before, but -- i am not playing without "buddha" cheat turned on.

I kinda suck at Vanilla(/Vanilla-based) Doom, I can't really circle-strafe/projectile weave all too well, the only real piece of engine manipulation I can do is to pistol snipe and maybe do a BFG trick, I don't use an awful lot of saves, I binded the "m" key to resurrect me, and when I keep dying a lot, I pull out the IDFA and IDDQD cheat and spam IDFA quite frequently.

And like that, I think I made single vanilla purist either mad at me, or in a state of "What idiot got a hold of Doom!?" despair.

Even more shocking, I frequently load up Russian Overkill when playing just about any slaughtermap, or any map with a large number of enemies in it. I've only used Metadoom a few times when it wasn't the base IWAD's maps.