Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ramiel

Official Trailer 2 for DOOM Eternal arrives tomorrow at 12:30pm ET.

I bring up the Doomworld bit because it's like the main Doom site for most fans for ages and i expect something like r/Doom or Gamefaqs to be mostly newcomers or more casual players.

Nothing wrong with new blood, but i feel like there's a lot more interesting stuff to be found here, even in some lore related topics but that's just my opinion.

In other news, someone on Reddit found an ad with slightly different footage: something new is an Archvile bit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/epnbdh/got_an_ad_for_doom_eternal_it_has_an_unseen/

14 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Not that it matters, but the moon is an average of a quarter million miles from Earth and it seems a touch silly to go for such a dramatic and detailed art direction while cartoonishly  positioning our satellite a couple thousand miles away in the opening shot.

Yeah, but realistically it's the only way to capture the destroyed moon in the same shot as they're doing the dramatic zoom in on the earth. If they portrayed it realistically, they'd show the moon first, much further out from earth, and have to do a much longer continued zoom to actually reach the earth, which would diminish the impact. 

Of course they could just forgo the moon destruction altogether, but how serious can a demon invasion on earth really be if it hasn't also destroyed the fucking moon in the process?

It would actually be way the fuck more dramatic to show the destroyed moon at a realistic distance, then time ramp to Earth.

That said, this is hardly my takeaway from the trailer, I just wanted to bitch. I think it looks fantastic. The sheer diversity of locations, enemies and weapons is almost overwhelming. Combined with the new mechanics, the renewed interest in exploration and what's shaping up to be a surprisingly rich lore, this will completely outdo Doom '16. Very excited.

Maybe the demons moved the Moon close to Earth to mess with tides and cause earthquakes? Did you consider that???

*digs up ancient usenet discussions on the correct environment on Mars' satellites*

Look what you made me do! Look! Don't talk about astronomical accuracy in Doom!

59 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Maybe the demons moved the Moon close to Earth to mess with tides and cause earthquakes? Did you consider that???

That actually makes sense because then the Moon would be crushed by Earth's gravity.

EDIT: Here is proof

Edited by Hofmann

Do you think the Sentinels who attack the Slayer towards the end of the trailer are the same as the ones who salute him in the beginning?

1 hour ago, igg said:

Do you think the Sentinels who attack the Slayer towards the end of the trailer are the same as the ones who salute him in the beginning?

The ones at the start had blue plasma spears. The others had.....red?

My guess; the Marauder corrupts a cadre of Sentinels!  

27 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

The ones at the start had blue plasma spears. The others had.....red?

I also noticed that but assumed they switched their weapon mode from salute to attack ;)

2 hours ago, igg said:

Those were the Jedi Sentinels. The red ones are the Sith.

Doomguy was a loyal warrior of their order until they became a corrupt empire. Only a Jedi can end their reign.

Edited by Chezza

12 minutes ago, Chezza said:

This would perfectly match my theory about the Marauders origin. Some Night Sentinals followed the path of the Betrayer, others allied with the Doom Slayer and made hi their new king.

Maybe the moon is closer because Hell is planning on making it crash on Earth.

44 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Doomguy was a loyal warrior of their order until they became a corrupt empire. Only a Jedi can end their reign.

Doom and Star Wars: where's Kyle Katarn when you need him?

21 minutes ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

He was wiped from canon.

When TLJ was the last SW film, I'd say Kyle Katarn lives on in the rejection of the Jedi order. Now TRoS is the last SW film, Kyle Katarn really is wiped from canon.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, thewormofautumn said:

The Gladiator demon also appears in the initial combat footage. He’s in the background as the Slayer jumps into the air to fire on the Mancubus.

Nope, I got that wrong. It's a Cyberdemon/Tyrant

So many things driving me crazy

(1) When the 'evil night sentinels' are approaching in on the Slayer, there seems to be the dead 'red hooded figure' (Seraphim?) at his feet (who we thought was his friend?) and the SLayer is holding .... a Soul CUbe? Unless that is not the seraphim and it is ... deag grav.

(2) The 3 maykrs in that popular concept, outside of the khan maykr, are still nowhere to be seen. We have seen in the MP trailer there are spawnable maykr drones. I wonder if those 3 are not leader maykrs but maykr types / castes we will have to fight in Urdak?

(3) Too many voices in the trailer. Who is helping and hindering the slayer ? At this point there are so many different voices it is crazy.

(4) That giant titan being impaled by the ... sentinel titan / robot? Wow. Reminds me of that picture with the Doom slayer's army full of dragons, sentinels and what looks like Titans in armor on the slayer's side. And some other priest type figure next to the Slayer with a scroll. Which makes me think ... maybe the Slayer is really mute and he can only write and have it read by someone else for him, when addressing his people / army. Interesting.

(5) That giant hovering hand ... Icon of Sin HYPE?!?

(6) Still confused over who the Seraphim (emphasis on the word being the plural for Seraph, so it may not refer to that red hooded figure at all), Wretch, Betrayer and his son (who may or may not be the Icon of Sin, the wording in the codex is still vague and open to interpretation) are, even at this point. And that 'King' of Argent d'Nur or Sentinel Prime ... is he still alive or is that a holographic projection of him?

In short, this game is awesome, at least lore wise. Interesting story unfolding. Lots of characters and a deep history, with lots of questions as a result.

Edited by Urdak5891

13 hours ago, Urdak5891 said:

(1) When the 'evil night sentinels' are approaching in on the Slayer, there seems to be the dead 'red hooded figure' (Seraphim?) at his feet (who we thought was his friend?) and the SLayer is holding .... a Soul CUbe? Unless that is not the seraphim and it is ... deag grav.

It's not a cube, it's a disc. His right hand has the SSG + Meathook, the left hand has the disc.

The red person on the floor could be one of those red priests we see kneeling in worship in the E3 2019 trailer.

Holy .... these screenshots

https://www.want.nl/topgames-2020-doom-eternal/

so that giant battle mech now seems to me to be like a doomslayers personal power rangers style battle mech. And that white maykr is indeed possibly friendly. Remember we never actually see khan maykr with the 'friendly sentinels', trailers juxtapose and mislead a lot.

10 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

It's not a cube, it's a disc. His right hand has the SSG + Meathook, the left hand has the disc.

The red person on the floor could be one of those red priests we see kneeling in worship in the E3 2019 trailer.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Urdak5891 said:

so that giant battle mech now seems to me to be like a doomslayers personal power rangers style battle mech.

Yeah, the fact that it also happens to have a shoulder-mounted gun kinda leans it towards that.

6 hours ago, Urdak5891 said:

And that white maykr is indeed possibly friendly. Remember we never actually see khan maykr with the 'friendly sentinels', trailers juxtapose and mislead a lot.

It’s cool to see that Maykr from the concept art in-game, and it raises some question about whether all the Maykrs are jerks like Khan, or if she’s just an outlier.

Also, I love the new Cyber Manc’s design.

I think a problem with a Mech is how it seperates from the "core" gameplay.

Swimming and climbing may take away the player's weapons but at least those parts are still short/occasional and are more to do with the level design.

A mech section feels like some specific mission with a whole different gameplay.

Like a stealth section that breaks the game's pacing where you can't shoot and simply getting caught makes you lose. (terrible example maybe)

And then that section only happens once.

I mean, when you already a lot of weapons, abilities, enemies, items, aspects of the level design and more, the game is already deep in some way.

I guess that's another reason why i thought the RPG menu system in 2016 was odd because when a game already has something going on in its core gameplay and good enough balance, it doesn't feel needed.

And some upgrades could be represented with pick ups, timed (like a radsuit over an upgrade making you resist toxic waste) or not (like the ammo backpacks increasing your ammo capacity) and some stuff like automatically attracting health items like a magnet kinda leans towards some form of health regeneration.

I do like the look of that Cybermanc and Maykr character.

That Maykr looks kind of angelic.

There's also this tweet about the game.

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

A mech section feels like some specific mission with a whole different gameplay.

True, but it worked REALLY well in one of the latest Gears games when you get to pilot a giant mech. One of the best part of that game.

Maybe i should be more open for it.

For what we know, we could have a little army of Cyberdemons/tyrants trying to attack our mech.

Or even a section where you try to controll/ride a Cybie, like that one fake leak suggested.

While at it, i heard some Youtubers and journos got access to some demo, somewhere in Poland.

These are some screenshots i found on r/Doom.

https://imgur.com/a/kAZ6Eqk

https://imgur.com/a/pZYEWO9