Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

How to use zdoom with Heretic?

I have heritic on the cd as well but I get a launch error if I try to put Zdoom in the same folder as heretic. I already have Zdoom in my Ultimate Doom folder.

Get the latest zdoom, the 34.cab file from zdoom.notgod.com/lars. You need the three files in that .cab (it unzips with Winzip) and the file heretic.wad in the same folder, that's all. If you have a folder for zdoom and have more than one iwad in that folder (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.) a menu will pop up allowing you to select which iwad to use.

If Heretic is installed on your hard disk, you can just unzip zdoom into that folder and it should work.

or just type "zdoom -iwad heretic.wad" from the command line (some of us have the "ask iwad" thingy turned off)...

Thanks it worked, but my screen isn't totally centered, it is vertically but horizontally I have about an inch of space on the right side that's black.

If you have a monitor that lets you manually adjust the screen position (most relatively modern ones do), do that. If not then, uh, I dunno :|

I put all the IWADS that ZDoom supports into my Doom 2 folder and put a quicklaunch shortcut to it in my quicklauncher bar.

Alientank said:

Problem is if I do that then I gotta readjust upon going back to windows

Then what you do is try to find that happy medium between the two.

ravage said:

Then what you do is try to find that happy medium between the two.

My monitor remembers different settings for different modes. If I adjust it to get rid of a black band as described in one mode, it doesn't seem to affect other modes. Of course, if two programs use the same mode...?

Alientank said:

Heretic only runs in a window so it isn't a seperate mode.

You can change it to full screen, you know. Options->Set Video Mode->Fullscreen: Yes

Also worth mentioning is that if you have a really old monitor that uses dials for controlling screen geometry, you most likely cannot have separate geometry settings for different video modes. Most monitors that use buttons and/or menus for adjustments do support different settings for different modes.

Bloodshedder said:

Also worth mentioning is that if you have a really old monitor that uses dials for controlling screen geometry, you most likely cannot have separate geometry settings for different video modes.

Sigh. Mine. :/

Ct_red_pants said:

The zdoom launcher needs to be updated.

when I use that, I crash after about 5 minutes for no apparent reason. It says 'failed to receive packet, ini failed'. I can't explain it, but I can't care when I can just use Zdoom itself, which is much more preferrable.