Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

What was your first exposure to doom, (not via the shareware doom game)

My first exposure to doom was when i found the game on a roms site, and so i decided that i would make a video on it. It was fun, so i played the game with cheats, then so on, and so on.

I’m not sure what to say - my first exposure to Doom was via the shareware game.

Me brother saw how much I loved it and how often I would play it, so being the good older brother that he is, he went and illegally pirated the Doom2 v1.666 bootleg for me. It was a great gift to me, only got even more hooked.

In turn, my dad saw how much I loved both of those, and decided to buy me an Ultimate Doom box. By this point I’d already been playing a lot of wads for Doom2, but the increased resolution in Doom95 and amazing atmosphere/music of Ultimate Doom really reeled me in.

This all happened from about 1995 to 1999, my addiction hasn’t budged since.. Getting into mapping, modding and online deathmatching only made the addiction even more intense.

I mean, I used to play the shareware episode on an unblocked games site at my school. I suppose they ported it to flash, had to play keyboard only. Dark times. Bought the games on steam after that.

I found doom on my father's PC that lent me to play when I was just 4 years old, i found doom 95 and i played, I was so afraid about the monsters and the demons of the game, specially the icon of sin, so I played without enemies, you know, fears of a child

I saw my cousins playing Plutonia on the Aztec level and Doom 64 on the map 19 Watch Your Step level on two separate occasions, I eventually played Doom 64 which I borrowed from a friend on my brothers N64 in 1997, then I played Doom 1 and 2 GBA via emulator when I found out about emulators when going to TAFE in 2004 and got a copy of Doom 3 from a friend at some point and eventually the expansion to it Resurrection of Evil, I got all the original Doom's at a LAN party in I think 2006 and we attempted to play TNT Evilution co-op with Doom 95 but just ended up shooting at eachother before closing the game, I finally ended up playing all the original Doom's properly in 2008 but I used ZDoom.

Edited by Avoozl

My earliest contact with Doom I can recall was when my uncle brought my father a disk with a pirated version of Doom 2 (and a sheet with the IDDQD, IDKFA, IDCLIP cheat codes). I was short-sighted and didn't have glasses yet, so I couldn't really make out what was happening on the screen, but I still enjoyed watching my father play and I tried to make sense of what I was seeing. (I thought the BFG was a door-opening device because my father usually had it out when opening any door)

Doom 3. Yeah, I'm that young. Then I got that pirated CD with Final Doom on it and played some TNT. Plutonia... I wasn't ready for at the time. Then I got another pirated CD, that one with shareware Doom and, funnily enough, full Doom 2. And then we finally got home internets and I could get my hands on Doom 1 proper. When I finally got the opportunity, I bought the Doom Pack on Steam and never looked back.

Funny enough, my first exposure to Doom wasn't through playing it, since I didn't have any interest in FPS games as a kid. I probably first heard about it from an offhand mention in an earlier AVGN video or something. I did, however, enjoy watching videos about easter eggs in games, so I watched one about Doom 2 after I'd watched a bunch of others covering other games I was more familiar with at the time (retro Mario, Zelda, Sonic, and so on). All I knew about it was that it's an old FPS, and I was curious to find out more, since I've had a love for older games since I was younger.

The game looked pretty standard to me, but what really jumped out at me was the end of the video, where the player showed off the John Romero easter egg. Something about it scared me. It wasn't the gore or the violence, but it was more to do with the fact that it was located out of bounds in this secluded area, and something about good old Romero's facial expression gave me the creeps. You might see me reference Romero's head often in posts, and it's kind of like an inside joke with myself because of that experience. Oddly enough, that sprite does still creep me out just a little, though for some reason I can look at the original scan from that magazine just fine.

For a long while after that (around 5 years), I basically avoided videos about old FPS games (even stuff like Quake or Blood), and if footage of them did show up, I'd scroll past the video so that only the status bar was in sight until the game footage passed.

Once I got a bit braver, I started to watch Doom videos put out by Vinesauce Joel, and his new (at the time) Doom Builder video had me intrigued. Unfortunately, I wouldn't end up playing Doom or making levels for it until three or four years later.

Early last year, I suddenly had a really strong urge to play Doom. I found the shareware episode on Newgrounds and played the first few levels of that, but the keyboard controls threw me off. I heard that Doom 1 and 2 were being released on Switch, but I didn't get them after hearing about the mandatory Bethesda login. Once that was patched out, however, I came back to the idea and played through both. I also found Doom 2016 on the Xbox One at a second-hand store for about $9, so of course I had to buy that. I've still yet to finish it, though.

I then found out that GZDoom and SLADE work on Mac, so I purchased the Doom classics on Steam and here we are today.

Anyway, sorry for the life story. This is stuff I've been wanting to say for a while. In case it wasn't obvious, I'm a little younger than the rest of you here, but I have fun with Doom now.

5 minutes ago, Castelia said:

Anyway, sorry for the life story. This is stuff I've been wanting to say for a while. In case it wasn't obvious, I'm a little younger than the rest of you here, but I have fun with Doom now.

Nah, there are many zoomers on doomworld. I just turned 20 in October, and I remember thinking I was one of the younger users on here, turns out, Doom is pretty relevant. Who would have thought one of the most influential and moddable games would still be popular relative to other games of its type? Though it doesn't excite me now, I distinctly remember how universal Brutal Doom was a few years ago. It seemed like every youtuber worth their salt was playing it and lauding it as a straight upgrade to vanilla (which it is not but that's neither here nor there). It definitely reinvigorated general interest in Doom as a franchise and avenue for user-made content, this is probably before I first played it at school, so probably around 2013-ish. That reminds me, the shareware WASN'T (retroactively making my first post in this thread a lie) actually my first exposure to Doom, I can recall watching my older cousin play Doom 3 on the OG Xbox when I was a lot younger, I believe he was at the hell section, but I don't remember much more than that, probably because I was more interested in his Bionicles.

I remember seeing a mention of it in some sort of kids newsletter in grade school, and it mentioned the modding possibilities, like being able to put classmates' heads on monsters. (Those were certainly more innocent times...) The potential of modding is what stuck with me. My earliest memory of actually playing it was renting the Super NES version, although I remember the appeal of that being that I could play the other two episodes too, so I must've been familiar with the Shareware version by that point. The music was better too, honestly. And to this day, E2M1 sounds better with E1M9's music, like in that port.

I first heard of DOOM back when Windows Vista was still a thing. My nan had an old PC and my brother would play games on it. One of the games I remember the most was DOOM 3. It was fucking horrifying. Fast forward to around 2010, I had a demo disc for the Xbox 360, which included DOOM II. It only had the first level of Hell on Earth, and No Rest for the Living. I thought it was great. I got my first laptop and signed up for Steam for the first time in 2012. I bought a couple of Valve games over time, including the Half-Life, Left 4 Dead and Counter-Strike games. One day I saw DOOM Classic Complete on sale, and I pretty much immediately got it. Best decision of my life.

"you've gotta play it ....... you've gotta see it........its brilliant..... you've gotta play it" (repeat)

That was my brother sometime during '94 going on and on about this game he'd played at a friends house called 'Doom'. As a SEGA kid I had very little interest in PC gaming but I remember seeing screenshots in a few mags like GamesMaster and Mean Machines of Doom and to be honest , not paying that much attention.

It wasn't until '97 and playing the PSX port that I'd picked up cheap that I became a fan and realised what I'd been missing. The game was quite eerie due to the soundtrack on that port but I LOVED it. I occasionally still go back and play that version to this day.

I was a kid in the 2000's and being in video game communities on the internet led to lots of mentions of Doom. This exposure definitely was what made me want to seek out the game. I really had no idea where to get Doom tho and had no idea what a source port was lmao

I first played Doom as flashdoom, but that was only the shareware version. At some point in eighth grade I came across the wad files bundled with brutal doom off some sketchy Youtube video.

I finally got into it back in 2014ish. I played Doom on my original Xbox w/ the Doom 3 collector's edition. I remember how arduous it was for me back then to get through even E1. Then went back to the PC version after getting through E2

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I’m not sure what to say - my first exposure to Doom was via the shareware game.

What Doomkid said! The shareware was my first exposure too. If a ROM experience is valid why not the shareware?  :P

My bro bought a Pentium 166 with windows95 way back in 95. I went to see what he was doing one day and he was playing the shareware version of the game. I had fiddled with his computer before and didn't know the game was on there. We played the hell out of it, taking turns. That first time playing I stayed up to 1am. Then he went and found a copy of the full game in a store. Then he found Doom 2 and brought that home. Then I went and found a copy of Final Doom in a Radio Shack. It was a glorious time, playing all that Doom for the first time.

I found a copy of the Doom Hacker's Guide in early 2000 for $3.99 (marked down from $28.95) in one of those bargain bins full of books and started working on maps since the book came with a CD loaded with utilities, so I started out using DoomCad. Didn't get internet until a few months later. I found a shovelware CD sometime during all that. Then there were rumors of a new doom game (doom 3) and I searched the net for 'new doom' and found Newdoom. Joined Newdoom as the 3rd person to do so, then became a moderator and didn't join Doomworld and all this shit and time went by and here we are in 2020 somehow.

I used to buy copies of PC Gamer magazine, to get the wads they used to include on their CD's. I'm not 100% sure when I started buying PC Gamer for the levels and it may have been later because I recall CD's would eventually also have Duke 3d maps and maps for Quake, Quake 2 and Unreal. Good times.

Doom 2 on Win95/98 in early 2003/late 2002 when I was only 6. Good times.

If by "exposure" you mean any exposure at all, not just limited to playing the game, I first heard of Doom in 2004, back when my age had just reached the double-digits. There was a Finnish gaming-related TV show I watched religiously as a kid, and Doom 3 was reviewed in one of the episodes back then. From there on out, I had a mild case of obsession over the game - I spent the limited time I was allowed on the Internet (thank my then-strict parents) researching the game, looking up screenshots and wallpapers and whatnot. I even slapped a Doom 3 wallpaper on the desktop.

It wasn't until 2007 that I had the chance to actually lay my hands upon the game, courtesy of a friend I had at the time. We were discussing Doom 3, and he happened to mention that he owned a copy of the game. Naturally, I seized the opportunity and arranged a visit to his place just so I could give the game a spin. He was happy to oblige. I also had the chance to try out classic Doom - Doom 2, to be specific - and from there on out, Doom slowly became my all-time favorite game franchise.

...my first exposure would be randomly watching my dad play The Ultimate Doom (back when Episode 4 was first released) when I was much younger. First time actually touching/playing a Doom game was Final Doom (PC) for a few minutes at a CompUSA in the downtown district of my neighborhood a year or so after.

...surprised I even remember that stuff.

I had a weird hobby of Reading True-crime and Doom was mentioned in a BUNCH of cases as being the cause of it, Curious after reading Raging comments condemning the game and telling of how "Evil" and "Violent" the game was (i took these with a grain of salt since how gory could 1993 games be?) so i jumped onto dosgamesarchive.com and played the DOS version of Doom 95. And after playing the first few levels i really enjoyed it so much i decided to buy it on Steam and play a legit version of it with better graphics, Then i learned of the MASSIVE modding community and jumped headfirst into the scene.

Watching the TotalBiscuit's (RIP) video about Brutal Doom in 2016 I think. I played nothing but BD for about a year and as time went on found myself going more and more vanilla. Still, I am not giving up my mouselook!

It is probably fair to say that a lot of new members are here because of BD, love it or hate it. I wonder if there are statistics about rate of member growth somewhere on this site.

I remember when I was in like 1st or 2nd grade primary school, my dad showed me he had ported Doom on his flip phone.

A freaking flip phone. Just putting that in hindsight makes my head spin right now.

For the original Doom? When i was about 15-ish, around 2005 or so on Xbox via Doom 3, via the Limited Collectors Edition that had Doom 1 and 2 on it.

Doom 64 was my first Doom game some years prior to that. I can't remember exactly what year or how old i was when i first played it though. Maybe it was in '99 or '00.

Sometime in the mid-2000’s, a poster on another Internet forum I frequented referred to it as the first FPS. I now know that claim to be completely false, but it was enough to prompt me to google the thing.

And then....well, I downloaded the shareware version. For the purposes of this thread, that is apparently invalid, so I don’t know what else to tell you. I liked it.

Around 2010's, and I didn't play Doom, I played Freedoom. When I  think about it I realize that's such a weird way to start playing this game, hahahaha

So in my country they were giving students these free, cheap computers with some kind of weird Linux variant on them. I used to check if there were any free games for it and suddenly, one day, I find FreeDoom. I remember loving it: the strange zombies, the 3D rendered snakes, the weird port that had pages upon pages of configurations and let me add helper dogs.

Years later I decided to go back to it and then found out about Doom. It was such a weird experience, everything was similar but not the same. I still miss playing with the weird worm monster Freedoom has.

Went through all the phases, normal playing, brutal doom, other mods, then one day while I was playing a Wolfenstein wad I thought it'd be funny to change the sprites of the face. I Downloaded Slade3, and the rest is history for me. 

Also while playing in Zandronum I found a group of what would become my closest friends. We still mod Doom together from time to time.

Modding. Hell of a drug.

I remember seeing DooM a lot on Videogame magazines and TV shows in '97-'98. Loved the graphics and when seeing DoomGuy's face on the status bar reacting to damage and the fact you were seeing the game from the character's eyes, I always said "WOW! Nothing can be more realistic than that! I must play this!". Since I had a PSX and didn't know DooM was released for it, I thought I'd never play the game. Buying a PC wasn't a possibility at the time. My brother rented Duke Nukem Total Meltdown, but it wasn't the same, DooM was the game I wanted to play.

Late on '99, a nice sunday morning, my life changed completely. My brother and I were walking around on a flea market and when passing by a videogame stand, I saw it... a 6-in-1 PSX pirate compilation which had these games: Duke Nukem Time To Kill, Duke Nukem Total Meltdown, Codename: Tenka, Hexen and.. DooM and Final DooM!!! I can't remember how may times I replayed PSX DooM, but I never got bored of it, the best days of my childhood I must say. 2 years later, my PSX broke, and couldn't play DooM again for some time :( 

Many years later, on 2007, finally had to experience the original PC DooM games. I remember going trough all the games using a Simpsons DooM wad lol I never stopped playing DooM since then. When I got Delta-Touch last year, and having the chance of playing DooM anywhere, My DooM obsession just got worse XD

I first played Doom on Super Nes somewhere around 2000, then it was Doom and Final Doom on Playstation. I played these games a lot for almost 10 years before I learned there were custom levels on PC.

when I was in middle school I found the flash version made by Mike Welsh, then my science teacher saw me playing it and said he played that when he was a kid, which I thought was weird because as far as I knew Doom was only a 2008 flash game, then RetroAhoy released his Doom video and I got the game on GOG.

I convinced my parents to jointly (I paid half, they paid half) buy the PC version from a now long long gone independent computer game shop and in hindsight, probably very soon after it came out (as it was still full price), after seeing the box on the shelf and thinking it looked cool.

My first experience was with the xbox360 arcade version, the weird sound pitches turned me off but I eventually picked up a copy on steam, and here we are.    

Exposure? So, like, how I learned about it? I bought my first gaming magazine around '96 and there was this section called "Doom-like games". It had the Doomguy in the logo. I didn't know what Doom was, but I loved the visual (it was D1 cover image). This issue had, I think, a walkthrough for some DN3D maps, so I didn't even know what was first person gameplay, it just had the maps and it looked very basic and rough. There was like 1 tiny DN3D screenshot which fired up my imagination.

There was also a page with jokes, with a short poem about how much Amiga sucks because it can't run Doom. So for the young me Doom was like this legend or mystery.