Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

All of the sounds are the original game, except when using mods, there's an issue with chainsaw and the super shotgun has the sample rate problem. These don't happen in the base game because IWAD audio goes through a different path than loaded add-ons right now.

I was hearing some odd things with the PC version's remapping function on PC, it apparently bugs the cursor out when remapping controller buttons and menu navigation stops working. Can any 2019 re-release PC users confirm this?

49 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I was hearing some odd things with the PC version's remapping function on PC, it apparently bugs the cursor out when remapping controller buttons and menu navigation stops working. Can any 2019 re-release PC users confirm this?

Can't say I've had that happen.

2 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

Yes i have problems, detailed in the pc version related thread here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2066157

Greetings

funduke

Any chance of a PSX Doom music or even sounds add-on? I'd bet Aubrey would be glad to work something out rights-wise

That reminds me, not sure if anyone said it here or if it was said anywhere...

But to the console ports fix the Ouch face not showing up when it should?

13 hours ago, whatup876 said:

That reminds me, not sure if anyone said it here or if it was said anywhere...

But to the console ports fix the Ouch face not showing up when it should?

it still works in vanilla way, i.e. not fixed.

4 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

I'm so glad that Bethesda had respectful enough for Romero to bring Sigil into the fold as official canon. Many companies would either choose to ignore it or slap a C&D lol.

Sigil still isn't official canon, its just officially recognised.

Just now, Devalaous said:

Sigil still isn't official canon, its just officially recognised.

Is that not a way of making it canon :p ?

I don't know, is it "canon" that Poochie died on the way back to his home planet when his planet needed him? What does it ultimately mean to call something "canon" when you are aware of the IRL shenanigans behind it? Is it even possible to bolt on extra "canon" after the fact without the consent of all the original creators?

6 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Is it even possible to bolt on extra "canon" after the fact without the consent of all the original creators?

Hm, I'm inclined to say "no" here.

What was the stance of the original id members when it came to Sigil's canonicity, by the way?

26 minutes ago, seed said:

Hm, I'm inclined to say "no" here.

A lot of long lived successful franchises live past their original creators though.
In the end the ones dictating whats canon are the ones who hold the intellectual rights to the work, not necessarily the creators who did the work.

1 hour ago, seed said:

What was the stance of the original id members when it came to Sigil's canonicity, by the way?

Let's be honest, the only one who'd care about a notion like "canonicity" is Tom Hall, and they fired him before the game finished development.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

Let's be honest, the only one who'd care about a notion like "canonicity" is Tom Hall, and they fired him before the game finished development.

Then it's settled, Tom Hall makes his own episode 5.

I'd say anything that gets an official nod is canon. That's just MY opinion though and I'd say the same thing for any other franchise not just Doom.

2 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I'd say anything that gets an official nod is canon. That's just MY opinion though and I'd say the same thing for any other franchise not just Doom.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe (now renamed under Disney as "Star Wars Legends") is a good example of content officially produced (or licensed by) Lucasfilm that was openly declared non-canon by the very producer of the franchise (in an awkward way after Disney's acquisition, though). The view of the producer is in the end the "offical" one, since they hold the rights. But of course everyone can have their own opinion of what's canon for them.

And let's not talk about that Christmas Special, please... :P

Edited by Ferk

Ahhh, the coop is still two postchamped sized windows side-by-side with borders wasting the screen space on the outside. Can this be changed? Maybe stretch them to fit the screen?

Also, is there a way to disable friendly fire?

A suggestion i heard someone say was if the console ports could have had digital representation/scans of the game's intructions manuals with the "story" descriptions and all.

Maybe they'd have to change the text to describe the approriate console controlls and change wrong info like implying the Berserk pack is timed.

Crazier idea would be for an option to turn on 3DO remastered music.

15 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

A suggestion i heard someone say was if the console ports could have had digital representation/scans of the game's intructions manuals with the "story" descriptions and all.

Maybe they'd have to change the text to describe the approriate console controlls and change wrong info like implying the Berserk pack is timed.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea at all to me.

15 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

Crazier idea would be for an option to turn on 3DO remastered music.

They first need to add the music though, which will bump the file size considerably.

But legally speaking, I don't think there would be any problems (I recall it being released along with the source, so distributing it as a free download shouldn't be an issue). The remastered soundtrack is criminally underrated, so if the demand and interest is there, I'd say it's well worth it. Or be made available as a separate, downloadable addon, whatever floats their boat.

I suspect if you went back in time to say just after Doom II's release and asked the id team at the time about the game's cannon they would probably laugh their asses off.

While the 3DO soundtrack would easily be worth any download size, I don't believe we contractually ever had any rights to it. That work would fall under Art Data Interactive, or if anyone bought the rights when they folded, or the original artists.

I also wouldn't certainly consider any mods we release as canon. We definitely do not consider that when finding mods to license heh.

Copyright Limbo is actual hell. I'd love to see the 3DO soundtrack as an add-on, but it's understandable if it can't happen easily. I wonder if Rebecca Heineman would have any leads on that?

(small aside: Has anyone actually made a .wad with the 3DO soundtrack? Or are there ports that support the AIFs as a music pack?)

Edited by Lollie

Considering how Randy Scott, the CEO of Art Data interactive and one of the people who recorded said soundtrack, was convicted as a pedophile and put behind bars for 30 years, the 3DO Doom soundtrack ever appearing anywhere in any sort of official capacity is highly unlikely. And good riddance.

Now Andrew Hulshult's a fine, fine lad and his IDKFA cover album is fantastic, they should get that.

Argh fuck's sake, I guess that's one type of news to wake up to - _-.

What a waste...

We can still try and get our boi Andrew Hulshult's awesome covers in there. 

Speaking of, I would propose separating the addons by categories (graphics, sound, levels, gameplay (if dehacked patches get supported)) and allowing the user to be able to load multiple addons if they belong to different categories.