Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Finishing unfinished monsters

Screenshot_Doom_20191113_222529.png.58ddbbd1ceeba1b1c035f5839bac2952.png

Well, here we are. This should be the final version of the monster, I will, again, attach the .zip file to this post with all the cropped up sprites, ready to be used or submitted. Thanks everyone to the input, and of course thanks to Raymoohawk for letting me finish this guy! I will continue working on the other two monsters and likely post it in this threat. I guess a title change is in order whenever I get the time.

Gonna throw a bit of my personal lore I thought up for him in here too, it's not important and subject to change as per everyone's discretion, but I just feel like doing it. Based on what's been condensed in this thread:

The Lavamander and the Nukeptyle are both competing species hailing from the same genus. The former living in the scorching underbelly of their planet, driven by war and conquest, unlike the more socially oriented Nukeptyles. During the invasion of Horizon the Lavamanders teamed with the Pestmeisters to overthrow the Nukeptyle empire, becoming the sole Apex predator of Horizon, and earning their place as some of the most fearsome allies of the Jaws of Defeat.

Lavamander.zip

I might finally have some more free time soon. Here's progress on the Octaminator's death animation. Something about it seems off, and I'm not 100% satisfied with it but I'll iron it out. Based off of the original Octaminator animation sketch Raymoo posted waaaay back, made by one of his friends. 

SKELL0.gif

The suggested baron/hell knight replacement does look good but I do find its walking animation quite comical.  It reminds me of...

and I can't unsee it.

Has there been a pull request made to submit the Lavamander? Can't find one on the list of active or closed PRs.

Probably because the person has not been around to doing it as of lately anymore, despite the fact that some of us like the old designs anyhow and who knows what might come to be when this person does return to probably change the fate of the project, the only thing that has been needing to be up to change otherwise besides this who-knows-overhaul is the sprite polishing for the L. Technospider, the Combat slug (What happened to the finished sprites though that was finished by another guy?), and the sailor replacement which I still plan on finishing when I am comfortable to take the rest of my time to do.

Yup, fair enough - and I get that.  But IMO, it doesn't pass the "rule of cool".

IMO, the very upright stance and bulky lower half gives it a Barney the Dinosaur kind of stance and gait (or, maybe a bit kinder, Godzilla).  It is a good looking sprite set (and way beyond anything that I could do) but it also has a comical, bumbling, clumsy, harmless creature kind of air about it IMO and I'm not sure that's what was being aimed for.  I think that most of that is down to how it stands and walks.

Of course, if people are happy with it, so be it.  I'm just commenting on how it appears to me.

FWiW, the very vertical theropod stance with a dragging tail, as seen in this sprite and early stop motion Hollywood movies etc, is now regarded as unlikely and a much more horizontal spine position with the tail acting as a counter-balance is generally regarded as a more likely model. 

Tfb7kEu.jpg

I'm not saying that the sprite should be reconfigured to be like that (indeed, a sprite with that kind of setup has its own inherent problems as the actor rotates through its angles), I'm just saying. :)

But the Pestmester will still be kept as the Knight counterpart, no? Besides, it was raymoohawk's original plan to have the Nukeptyle be the Baron alter ego, and raymoohawk expressly permitted the Nukeptyle design to be elaborated upon and completed by HorrorMovieGuy.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:06 AM, Enjay said:

IMO, the very upright stance and bulky lower half gives it a Barney the Dinosaur kind of stance and gait (or, maybe a bit kinder, Godzilla).  It is a good looking sprite set (and way beyond anything that I could do) but it also has a comical, bumbling, clumsy, harmless creature kind of air about it IMO and I'm not sure that's what was being aimed for.  I think that most of that is down to how it stands and walks.

I mean, the baron of hell is a slow, (relatively) low-danger flesh wall that serves to soak up damage. So perhaps it's appropriate?

On 1/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, MrFlibble said:

Has there been a pull request made to submit the Lavamander? Can't find one on the list of active or closed PRs.

I went ahead and made a pull request, following the pinned tutorial. Seems like every time I say I have free time something happens to keep me busy. Anyhow, it should be up for review if I did everything right

@HorrorMovieGuy, can you please post the message that you received from RaymooHawk in the PR saying that the lavamander was free to use? I just want documented confirmation so that we don't get any unexpected surprises later.

The people who frequent the Freedoom Discord are aware of this, but I feel like I should post it here aswell. The Octaminator is nearing completion, and I will submit it to the git as soon as it is done. Me and Korp are working on finishing all other "outdated" monsters too, like the Summoner and the Death Flare. Hopefully next version will have a lot of new enemies.

Octoboy in action:

https://streamable.com/rjqdnm

Edited by HorrorMovieRei

Aw yiss

So Discord is the reason of quietness here. Okay.

Thanks for doing the amazing work on the monsters' improvement! BTW, I keep forgetting to ask: as 0.12.1 came out I noticed that the cyber-squid (arachnotron replacement) got a serious and very professional facelift, but I don't think it was ever announced in the updates, or I totally missed that, so I do not know who was the author of the new version.

2 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

the cyber-squid (arachnotron replacement) got a serious and very professional facelift, but I don't think it was ever announced in the updates, or I totally missed that, so I do not know who was the author of the new version.

That was Craneo. He polished the Technospider and also finished polishing the Combat Slug (which up until then I had started but stopped at the walking frames)

That's some excellent news! I really love how you guys work to improve earlier submissions while keeping the original concepts behind them.

BTW, have you had any further contact with raymoohawk? I remember how that artist's submissions literally reinvigorated the community, and everything was super active for a while, and then, an abrupt disappearance.

BTW, I was wondering: a while ago @Haaslok started working on a circular saw replacement with a very nice WIP version shown here. Unfortunately, it was never finished. Maybe the concept could be worked on to create a new circular saw based on this? @Haaslok has not been active since October 2018 so I'm not sure if they could be reached out to obtain permission (assuming that anyone actually likes this version of the saw over the current one).