Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lizardcommando

Yay! I uploaded my first map!

I just uploaded my first map to FTP.3DGAMERS! I'm so happy! It's a Deathmatch map too! It's called barfight! Hmm, are people able to download stuff from the /incoming folder? Maybe I shouldn't announce this so soon.

hooray! :D I can't wait 'till everyone plays it. I think it came out pretty well for a first-timer. Technically, that wasn't the first time for me to make a map, but if you ever downloaded Pokestein and played those levels and compared it to my new level, you'll see a big difference between them.

Ok, where to begin...

First, there's the usual first time mapper errors: misaligned doors and boxes, doors over 128 units tall raising to the ceiling, and moving door tracks. You'll learn how to fix these in time.

Second, the visual glitch in the big room is caused by too many visplanes in one area, i.e. too many tables and chairs visible at one time. There's no real need to change them, since we have source ports now.

Third, at the fence outside, there is an unclosed sector causing part of the sector behind the fence to seep through.

Now for the deathmatch part...

You need more interconnecting rooms, and for the big mess hall, you may want at least two exit doors. Dead ends are usually instant traps, and a map full of them tends to take away from the gameplay a lot. You also need more windows, especially to the outside.

The room with all the hanging dead bodies seems rather pointless, because every one of those bodies blocks your movement, and I can't make it very far past the door.

Ichor said:

Ok, where to begin...

First, there's the usual first time mapper errors: misaligned doors and boxes, doors over 128 units tall raising to the ceiling, and moving door tracks. You'll learn how to fix these in time.

Second, the visual glitch in the big room is caused by too many visplanes in one area, i.e. too many tables and chairs visible at one time. There's no real need to change them, since we have source ports now.

Third, at the fence outside, there is an unclosed sector causing part of the sector behind the fence to seep through.

Now for the deathmatch part...

You need more interconnecting rooms, and for the big mess hall, you may want at least two exit doors. Dead ends are usually instant traps, and a map full of them tends to take away from the gameplay a lot. You also need more windows, especially to the outside.

The room with all the hanging dead bodies seems rather pointless, because every one of those bodies blocks your movement, and I can't make it very far past the door.

Cool! Thanks for your honest opinion :). Hmm, I might add windows in my levels when I get better. That hanging bodies room was supposed to be the meat locker. I was trying to get some "realism" into it. Where would the people get their food? There was only booze stored in the boxes :p. Yeah, I guess you're right about having another door in the bar area. I actually was thinking about having a secret door to get to the other side of the fence, but I decided not to add it in. I also thought about adding in an entertainment area, complete with stage, two pool tables and maybe a dart board if I was really bored. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. :)

Now, that room with the bodies might be good if they weren't all blocking (MF_SOLID).

Yeah, I replaced the Pain Elemental, Lost Soul and added a new Commander Keen in ICD-Lizard. All I have to do is replace the Baron of Hell and Mancubus and then I'm done! I already know what they look like, but two things are preventing me from actually fixing them:

1. ICD-Lizard. ( I'm adding some more stuff like enemies and weapons)

2. Laziness. 'nuff said :p

I'm glad there are people who still care about Lizard War. :)

Expect it to be released with the ICD-Lizard. (maybe a few months?)