Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

What does Freedoom remind you of?

17 hours ago, Artman2004 said:

What movies/TV shows/games does Freedoom remind you of? (other than Doom, of course.)

I at least want to share what the game reminds me of outside of media even though I will sound like Hobo Bobo the Noobo clown.
The game reminds me of how the shape of everything is like a triangle from the font, to the FreeDoom guy's walking pose, to the sprite design of some enemies and weapons, but then the music for some reason in it's style makes me think is like triangles. Why the music? I have no heck of an idea but I had to include it.
Other than that, I am not sure at the moment besides probably a lot of TF2 and TF1 (What I call Team Fortress Classic bleh).

Tremors

Robocop

the zombies also have a nice Mad Max vibe to them

the grab-bag alienology thereafter has a pretty strong Serious Sam feel to it

the progression makes think of, like, Unreal but without what I loved about Unreal's aesthetic... which frankly I don't think is replicable with FD's much more frenetic gameplay and music. (I almost said "with the Doom engine" but then I remembered ZikShadow's video of playing Lost Civilization with HD). Not disparaging FD, it's like comparing a dessert pizza with a regular pizza...

I might as well give my own opinion: 

Men in Black: This feels like if Men in Black with the action of Commando. 

Half-Life: If Half-Life was just a straight Doom-clone, Freedoom would be the answer.

Ghosts of Mars: Does anyone remember that movie?

Cube 2 Sauerbraten: The random enemy roster and sound effects remind me of it.

This, for some reason. Designs mostly. It's like an old 'future cop' cartoon - Robocop, COPS etc.

Robocop-animated-header.jpg?fit=1000,500

it reminds me of a forgotten shareware game i found at a garage sale for $1.50

There's nothing wrong with it per say, it just feels like the game is super unpolished and was kicked out the door before it was fully realized,

(i don't blame them for it, i know how frustrating it can be to have to build textures and sprites from nothing.)

It reminds me of Doom.

Where's my comedian of the year reward.

Edit:

On 1/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, Artman2004 said:

other than Doom, of course

How did I miss this.

Edited by DepravedDiptera

On 1/19/2020 at 2:26 AM, Hideous Destructor Guy said:

Tremors

man I love that series, I made a clay Graboid for art in 8th grade, still have it around here somewhere

The sprites kind of remind me of toys, so when I see them it's like living toys are duking it out