Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

How do people get Jobs these days?

Guest MIND

I'm utterly confused. How is a kid out of college who is ready to take on the world even get started these days when every person wants 2 years of prior experience for an ENTRY LEVEL position?

I don't understand the logic behind any of this and it's incredibly frustrating. How the hell does anybody get hired these days?

For internationals, i would suggest Amazon to get it.

On a more serious note, this is indeed frustrating and nonsensical, and i still have to deal with it. Starter position, but lets ask for 2 years of experience.

Its in similar vein as asking x years of specific experience into a specialized program, yet the company still claims its an entry level position.

My guess would be that those companies who are too lazy to teach their new employees and only look for fully qualified applicants will inevitably have difficulties finding people for these entry level jobs so their job ads stick around longer. Or the smart ones run job ads right at college/university/whatever else institution where they can find personnel.

This particular thing is something I also noticed and it really seems to make no sense unless you consider that there are other channels to find staff.

As a software developer I am working in a field where this is particularly pronounced. The main problem here is that the people doing the hiring have no experience of the job they have to hire people for and as a result fail to design their ads properly. I experienced this myself when looking for a job 3 years ago

My current (and first) job actually came to me because my mom was going to the place where I now work and the boss man needed someone with my skillset for a web development project, independent contractor work. It's not the best paying job and I don't work full time but it's something to do and it gives me experience in that area. It's medical related too so I'm also getting knowledge of how a business like that works, terminology, HIPAA compliance, etc.

TL;DR: I got the job by reference from a family member, lucked out.

Only sure-fire advice I can give is to try not to let the process get you down. You will likely find something eventually, even if it takes a very long time. Your value as a human being is not determined by your employment, which is good to remember before and after you land a job.

And of course as has been said many times, those requirements are stuff they pulled out of their ass. Apply anyway, even if you don't meet all the qualifications. No one is going to arrest you for being 'underqualified'.

You "intern", which is basically working for free and your only compensation is years of experience and free coffees from time to time. Or, you have a family member who has a friend who knows a friend who knows a manager.

Or fight with 50 other micro-biology students for the position of a fucking bartender.

19 minutes ago, UncleTito said:

Or fight with 50 other micro-biology students for the position of a fucking bartender.

*Requires at least 2 years of prior bartending experience.

Q: What's it take to get a job at Doomworld?

A: Two years of entry-level Doom experience.

[/joking]

Guest MIND

How do young people even support their families these days? Do they even have enough to start a family?

Guest MIND
1 hour ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Only sure-fire advice I can give is to try not to let the process get you down. You will likely find something eventually, even if it takes a very long time. Your value as a human being is not determined by your employment, which is good to remember before and after you land a job.

It's not that. It's just that you become bored of playing video games all day and not having enough to take extra courses for your education. So I end up pacing while having anxiety.

48 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Your value as a human being is not determined by your employment, which is good to remember before and after you land a job.

That's actually really helpful advice. Too many times we don't feel adequate enough because we don't live up to their capitalistic definitions of worth. Call me paranoid, but I think it's a system designed to keep us in our place. 

1 minute ago, MINDDomkr said:

How do young people even support their families these days? Do they even have enough to start a family?

Not really, but people keep having kids anyway. 

I don't believe what some media outlets have been saying lately, that 2019 ended with a "strong economy", that we are certainly not heading toward a recession. Oh yeah sure, corporate profits and wealth inequality are totally the signs of a healthy economy. Didn't they try to say the same thing before the 2008 housing bubble? I dunno, maybe I'm an extremist or a pessimist, but major changes need to happen in our country.

Just keep doing what you can to the best of your ability every day. You'll find something eventually. 

Guest MIND
12 minutes ago, F_SKY Fitzgerald said:

That's actually really helpful advice. Too many times we don't feel adequate enough because we don't live up to their capitalistic definitions of worth. Call me paranoid, but I think it's a system designed to keep us in our place. 

Not really, but people keep having kids anyway. 

I don't believe what some media outlets have been saying lately, that 2019 ended with a "strong economy", that we are certainly not heading toward a recession. Oh yeah sure, corporate profits and wealth inequality are totally the signs of a healthy economy. Didn't they try to say the same thing before the 2008 housing bubble? I dunno, maybe I'm an extremist or a pessimist, but major changes need to happen in our country.

Just keep doing what you can to the best of your ability every day. You'll find something eventually. 

I dont want to have a family but I feel sorry for the people who do. How do they afford to support their kids? I guess the parents need to help out.

11 minutes ago, F_SKY Fitzgerald said:

The late comedian George Carlin said that about 10 years or so ago.  His rant about this is really iconic.

Guest MIND
18 minutes ago, Master O said:

The late comedian George Carlin said that about 10 years or so ago.  His rant about this is really iconic.

Can you imagine the material hed have if he were alive today? I envy him.

I now the struggle, it took me a good 7 months of nonstop applying to random places before i finally got a hit, As of late it is my first job i ever worked and i was immediately met with harsh criticism.(personally i absolutely hate it) i was to them the "Ignorant teen punk who got a job because they couldn't mooch off my parents anymore" (even though that completely isn't the case i felt like that's what everyone was thinking) 

Now i'm not too smart when it comes to how to run a successful business,But i know for a fact that the greatest leaders used Deceit and lies to force people into submission and to do what they were told and not question there authority,At my job Lately they have been firing employee's left and right and i have a strong reason to believe is that theses people (many who have worked for the company for decades) are asking for more hours and more raises in pay and asking to be treated better by the Corporation.

Well that's not in the interest of capitalism, In that it's  "Lets make the most money possible, in the shortest amount of time, without caring about who we have to step on in the process, Just as long as it makes us as Shitload of cash."

The job's basic is they want to replace the previous staff with new people who don't know what to do in the world and will willingly work for half of a normal paycheck and accept that fact and not cause complaints or draw attention to it.

Capitalism is great and all, but only if your on the People making the money spectrum of it.

1 hour ago, DuckReconMajor said:

And of course as has been said many times, those requirements are stuff they pulled out of their ass. Apply anyway, even if you don't meet all the qualifications. No one is going to arrest you for being 'underqualified'.

THIS.

Having done a bit of interviewing at my company, I can tell you that there isn't a job on the planet that gets filled by the person who has all of the qualifications the company wants, because there isn't a person on the planet who has all of them and isn't already working for the company in question.  In reality, we hire people who have bits and pieces of what we want and who we think we can teach the rest to.  Just apply to any "entry-level" job in your field that interests you, regardless of what they say is "required", and it'll all work out. 

Also, consider using a functional resume if you're fresh out of college, since your skills will almost certainly be more impressive than your work history.

Try applying to a Temp Agency to start off with, although you'll get a temporary position, it may eventually evolve into a permanent position if your employers like you.

Also like others have said, make an impressive resume focusing on your skills rather than focusing on previous work experience, unless it'll look good for the job position your going after, and also apply to positions even if you dont fully meet the requirements, its good practice if you get an interview and you may even win them over during the interview.

Another thing about interviewing at places where you're only "partly" qualified is that, these days, most places have at least a phone interview before a "real" interview.  If you're so-soish on the phone interview but don't totally blow it, you should at least be able to figure out areas to study and brush up on before the "real" interview.  The guy doing the phone interview will typically hint to you what he wants you to learn before the "real" interview; picking up on this and studying what you need to will not only help you show up prepared to the "real" interview, but will also demonstrate that you're coachable and can learn new things.

3 hours ago, MINDDomkr said:

I don't understand the logic behind any of this and it's incredibly frustrating. How the hell does anybody get hired these days?

1 hour ago, MINDDomkr said:

They don't.

That's why economists are freaking out.

1 hour ago, MINDDomkr said:

It's not that. It's just that you become bored of playing video games all day and not having enough to take extra courses for your education. So I end up pacing while having anxiety.

If you think the anxiety will go away when you're employed I have some disappointing news. 

I've heard that picking up a trade and going into the union might be the way to go. I'm considering doing that myself. You can get paid to pretty much learn to do your job, and you make well over $40,000 a year for most of it, In America at least.

I don't have work...

...work haves me.

On a serious note, there are two options once you reach the twenties:

Tell your parents that you want to specialice yourself but you don't have the money and your stupid degree doesn't gives you anywork so please, feed me until i can made something of myself in my own...

... or get a lame job, in a lame place, with your parent being lame of how lame you seem and you should be happy for having a lame job in a lame place for bazillion hours of doing lame nothing productive and being harassed for being the new lame worker and be the lame bitch of the lame bullies that doesn't matured a little since being lame young bullies in the school...

...or find a really really good looking MILF that see that you have a third leg and wants you to be her partner while you, inteligent third leged boy, use her help to profesionalize yourself while showing her the great man you someday would be, if you are not that man right now, of course.

If nothing goes well...
You can always be an artist!

Honestly, it boils down to who you know. Networking is a real big pain in the ass, but the right person will eventually let you in the door. 

Now, as far as careers in anything art and design related, the portfolio is the most important thing to have. If you don't have a good portfolio, you're gonna get laughed out of your interview.

Learn a trade. No matter where you go in the world, we will always need electricians, plumbers and mechanics (for example). It feels good to learn a trade and it feels good to be good at it. Don't let the paralysis of choice take a hold of you. You will be a happier and more successful person if you focus your time and energy into a specific field of skill. Stick with it. Discipline, discipline, discipline. You will be more confident and confidence is attractive. 

That's a very good question. People of my age (early to mid 20s) also struggle with the same problem, every job requires 2 years of experience, regardless of how dumb it is.

I tried getting a job myself last summer, and guess what, nobody called me back. I have no doubt it was because of this. This is especially infuriating since I'm still in college, and I have a nagging feeling that all of this will be for naught and I'll ultimately find a job in a field that's completely unrelated, oh and those "intern" "opportunities" we've had presented are also BS, same shit, different toilet. Nice time and money waste.

1 hour ago, seed said:

That's a very good question. People of my age (early to mid 20s) also struggle with the same problem, every job requires 2 years of experience, regardless of how dumb it is.

I tried getting a job myself last summer, and guess what, nobody called me back. I have no doubt it was because of this. This is especially infuriating since I'm still in college, and I have a nagging feeling that all of this will be for naught and I'll ultimately find a job in a field that's completely unrelated, oh and those "intern" "opportunities" we've had presented are also BS, same shit, different toilet. Nice time and money waste.

Colleges and universities are for drowning people in debt.