Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Cuphead journalist guy played Doom Eternal

In Doom 2016, on Nightmare, glory kills were more often than not a liability rather than reward. Unless you were below 50% of your total HP, you'd get a measly 5HP after a glory kill, which often set you up for getting swarmed by monsters or eating a 40 damage fireball as you come out of the animation. I would personally be fine with them being more rewarding on the highest difficulty.

32 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

You always had a high chance of death in DOOM 2016 and the glory kills saved your ass.

This is the same, though more difficult AI.

My point was glory kills should always give the same amount, not depend on how much health you have. that way they can save your ass, but not in an overly generous way

3 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

Anyone else notice the remix of "Waiting For Romero To Play" 6:30?

I think that's the end text music 

Nice! While I am entertained by most prerelease footage, I must say Dean's new vid is good background noise. 

17 minutes ago, thewormofautumn said:

The video is obviously a piss take, especially after the last "controversy" from him.

Is it though? Wouldn't it be more "obvious" to think that they just aren't all that good at video games?

Edited by Edward850

20 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Is it though? Wouldn't it be more "obvious" to think that they just aren't all that good at video games?

They're not mutually exclusive. He's obviously not very good, but him posting a video of his skill level when he acknowledge the controversy of his last video shows he has awareness of how this will be taken. He knows.

Huh. I've never heard of this guy. I mean, i wasn't interested in Cuphead so why would i? I haven't watched this yet but i'm sure i'll get a kick out of it just like everyone else. I like to watch videos when i eat (my fav time to watch stuff) so i'll give this a watch then, if i can "stomach" it ;)

12 hours ago, Fonze said:

He's just an old dog who refuses to learn new tricks, not somebody out-of-touch with games and game-logic.

So what are you saying? He plays like that on purpose? If he understands the "game-logic" then....... he must know what he's doing? 

13 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

wow, just look at how much health he gets after glorykilling that arachnotron. i dont inherently dislike glorykills, but i hate how they give you more health depending on how low you are. just makes it feel like youre getting special treatment when you shouldve died.

The Doom Slayer is the Dragonborn. You absorb the demon's soul and use them to power yourself. Also you are The One They Fear and the only warrior capable of defeating a world-ending invasion of monsters whose name starts with "d" and ends with "on".

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

So what are you saying? He plays like that on purpose? If he understands the "game-logic" then....... he must know what he's doing? 

He's just terrible at movement combos -- hitting the right button at the right moment.

But he tries to do stuff like attempting to use the blue can on that platform (which results all his attempts at interaction), or climbing up the broken pillar. The paths you have to take during platforming sections are not always as intuitive as they seem to be when watching the gameplay vids from other people, who clearly had practiced the levels a bit before recording because you can see them going for the secrets without hesitation and not wasting time exploring areas off the sides or just taking in the sights.

Dean Takahashi, on the other hand, shows his initial moment of discovery.

Guest Unregistered account
13 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Lemme guess, he gave it a bad score?

No and this seems like looking for an excuse to paint this guy as a villain.

The dude's not good at video games and posted a video of it where he acknowledges this yet people here are asking where the "justification" for this is? I fail to see where he's done anything malicious. Is it the fact that it's his job and he gets paid for it? He specializes in previews and makes his lack of skill apparent, poking fun at himself in a light-hearted manner and in a way you could argue this perspective of someone who plays like this is valuable for reference of how less skilled players might experience a game.

He said himself in the cuphead retrospective that he didn't upload the Cuphead video and that his peers did for a laugh, and only referred to one person as a "shitlord" - the one with an online presence who used him as an example of the death of journalism - which I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with, but I definitely wouldn't want my harmless (yes, it is harmless) gameplay painted as this symbol for the death of an industry nor for so many to agree with this stance.

In general I don't understand why "gamers" are so angry over this dude. He plays a game bad and they're mad, why? Is it because they automatically assume his trouble with it reflects badly on the game they like, and that he'll give it a bad score? If it's because it's downright hilarious and gives you a "move aside, lemme try" urge then fine but wouldn't that best be a sentiment reflected with the tone of rolling your eyes rather than outrage?

And then he does the same thing with Doom Eternal, equally harmless, and gets similar, if more subdued responses.

6 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

Is it because they automatically assume his trouble with it reflects badly on the game they like, and that he'll give it a bad score?

In my opinion it's because he gets payed to review games and isn't very good at playing them at first glance. 

7 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

In general I don't understand why "gamers" are so angry over this dude. He plays a game bad and they're mad, why? Is it because they automatically assume his trouble with it reflects badly on the game they like, and that he'll give it a bad score?

Gee, I don't know. Maybe is it because this dude is a symptom of a plague that has pretty much destroyed all credibility that the game's journalism media industry used to have, such plague being a bunch of hacks with no experience on videogames whatsoever (while claiming to have it) passing judgement on matters which they are not qualified to do so. Imagine someone who  doesn't understand jack shit about basic automobile mechanics, and drives like an old lady, reviewing cars for specialized publications? Same thing here.

9 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

No and this seems like looking for an excuse to paint this guy as a villain.

The dude's not good at video games and posted a video of it where he acknowledges this yet people here are asking where the "justification" for this is? I fail to see where he's done anything malicious. Is it the fact that it's his job and he gets paid for it? He specializes in previews and makes his lack of skill apparent, poking fun at himself in a light-hearted manner and in a way you could argue this perspective of someone who plays like this is valuable for reference of how less skilled players might experience a game.

He said himself in the cuphead retrospective that he didn't upload the Cuphead video and that his peers did for a laugh, and only referred to one person as a "shitlord" - the one with an online presence who used him as an example of the death of journalism - which I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with, but I definitely wouldn't want my harmless (yes, it is harmless) gameplay painted as this symbol for the death of an industry nor for so many to agree with this stance.

In general I don't understand why "gamers" are so angry over this dude. He plays a game bad and they're mad, why? Is it because they automatically assume his trouble with it reflects badly on the game they like, and that he'll give it a bad score? If it's because it's downright hilarious and gives you a "move aside, lemme try" urge then fine but wouldn't that best be a sentiment reflected with the tone of rolling your eyes rather than outrage?

And then he does the same thing with Doom Eternal, equally harmless, and gets similar, if more subdued responses.

Personally, the idea with these people is that if a game is hard, they might do the following;
A) Compare it to Dark Souls (like with crash n sane trilogy)

B) Give it a bad score (like with, well, cuphead)

C) And maybe, possibly, know that the game is good for the hardcore audience (no examples i could pull off the top of my head)

4 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

Maybe is it because this dude is a symptom of a plague that has pretty much destroyed all credibility that the game's journalism media industry used to have, 

No that's caused by game journalists incompetently writing garbage opinion pieces and thinly veiled political nonsense instead of doing their damn job. 

Regardless of the problems with videogame journalists, we still have gaming dedicated Youtubers and even forums and other things that can inform us about a game or at least demonstrate opinions and prespectives.

The problem is when a Youtuber can still replicate similar problems like poorly analyzing something by forgetting some details or coming up with some dumb takes for attention.

Or sometimes dragging the video's lenght with some forced humor even.

Another problem can be with the target audience or the familiarity for some types of games.

Like, it gets worse with stuff like character action/hack and slash games or fighting games, since some sites never get someone that is into that genre, so different tastes, a bit of knowledge and prespectives can always be relevant to this.

Because in the end of the day, you're informing someone about a product they pay money for.

16 minutes ago, TheRedTide said:

So does that mean we're not allowed to criticize a dude who's been a games journalist for decades and yet plays games worse than a septuagenarian with Parkinson's? Or does that mean we're not allowed to criticize an industry that used to be made up of passionate uber-nerds but now is made of people (bored out of their fucking minds) who treat the job as if they were cleaning toilets on a fast food joint?

Whoa...i am not touching this one. I didn't even know what septuagenarian meant until i looked it up. I guess i'm not that smart, lol.

Anyway's i watched the video yesterday and i agree with what @Kapanyosaid in his post. Just because the guy plays bad doesn't mean people should get mad about it. Sure he's a video game journalist but not all of them can be good at what they do right? I mean, there are thousands of jobs out there and i'm sure that people do bad work at them daily. Just because this was recorded and uploaded to be shown to thousands of people doesn't mean jack all.

So this guy admits that he isn't very good and yet he does his job anyways and people get mad? Jeeze...calm down. If anything it shows the trouble that devs need to deal with when introducing new players (or people who aren't accustomed to playing a certain game) to how the concepts in the game work. The guy figured it out at the end (sort of) so i guess id Software did their job with that part.

17 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

I definitely wouldn't want my harmless (yes, it is harmless) gameplay painted as this symbol for the death of an industry nor for so many to agree with this stance.

I understand this and think most people are/were going way too far with their criticisms and assumptions about the guy. One person who sucks at games a dead industry does not make. I just think kissing his own ass about how legit-and-oldskool he is was an embarrassing way to respond. He admits he’s bad at games in one breath but pulls the “I was there for pong!!” line out in the other. That just strikes me as lame,  and it always does when people are presented with a chance for self reflection but fail to do so and instead throw a pity party. That’s his choice though!

That said, the thought of relying on review scores/articles to determine wether or not a game is for me is just such a foreign concept at this point. Yeah, there is some shameful stuff in the realm of “gaming news”, but to me what’s more shameful is the apparent death of critical thinking. If people want to determine if a game is good, they should use their eyeballs to watch undoctored game footage and their brain to determine whether or not what they’re seeing looks enjoyable.

We’re in an age now where people can watch extensive gameplay footage before the game even comes out in many cases. To me it would seem the need for opinion pieces on games is at an all time low, so it’s pretty confusing to me that outrage over “the industry” is at an all time high. I think it’s just another example that people love to have something to complain about, even if it’s mostly inconsequential.

15 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

Maybe is it because this dude is a symptom of a plague that has pretty much destroyed all credibility that the game's journalism media industry used to have

1. lol at the idea game journalism ever had credibility, it has always been supported by ads bought by game companies, even when it was paper-based

2. the guy is not a game reviewer, by his own admission he mostly covers tech and business issues, not game reviews

I am foremost a business and technology writer who focuses on the game industry. I’ve written 14,882 stories in my 9.5 years at VentureBeat. That is 30 stories a week. But I do about a dozen or so game reviews per year. I go to a lot of preview events where I play, but most of my job is writing about game and tech companies.

There are 52 weeks in a year, so 12/(52*30)=0.77%.

3. being bad at games doesn't necessarily imply giving them unfair reviews. People just figure that someone who sucks at a game will conclude that the game sucks. Maybe it's projection. I went to search the Cuphead review by this guy and he doesn't say the game sucks.

While my performance on the captured video below is quite shameful, as I never finished the level, I think it shows quite well why Cuphead is fun and why making hard games that depend on skill is like a lost art.

There's a bit at the end where he says it's unfair that he died from jumping in the canopy (actually, he jumped into a monster spawn point with 1 hp remaining and died when the monster spawned on him) but there's nothing in the article that says the game is bad.

16 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

Imagine someone who  doesn't understand jack shit about basic automobile mechanics, and drives like an old lady, reviewing cars for specialized publications? Same thing here.

4. Guess what, 99% of people who drive a car don't understand jack shit about basic automobile mechanics, and they drive poorly. The perspective of a terrible driver on how a car behaves is therefore much more valuable than that of a good driver. Because even if you, yourself, are a good driver, the people you'll share the road with aren't.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, Bauul said:

"Video game literacy" is a major area of consideration for devs. Many games have a similar fundamental language for how to play that makes them child's play for an experienced gamer, but utterly befuddling for someone without that experience. 

As experienced gamers, we often don't even realize how much we rely on our intrinsic knowledge of how games work.

It's a tricky balancing act because you don't want to patronize experienced players but you should still try to cater for people who have never played a game before. Clearly id felt everyone who was invited to play this preview fell into the former, and this video proves the problems that can cause.

I honestly learned this about myself not even five years ago. Kind of embarrassing honestly.

Growing up, I never really stuck to one genre, and I was constantly playing games thanks to my dad and his buddies constantly swapping them/sharing pirated copies. So by the time I was an adult, I could pick up almost any game and immediately get a feel for it within' 10 minutes tops. It became completely normal to me. Something I didn't even realize. I had no clue that my "basic" knowledge was actually not basic at all.

Here's a great video on the topic that was also kind of eye-opening for me: 

It wasn't until I got into a relationship with someone that I noticed this at all. Watching them play some games was grueling for me, and I would definitely turn into a bit of an ass because to me it was all so "duh obvious". I forced myself to chill the fuck out now. It must have worked because footage like this DOOM Eternal gameplay doesn't really bother me anymore. Plus, he's bad a video games, admits he's bad a video games, but tries to rebound with "I'm oldskool tho". He is, indeed, "a wiener."

Edited by CARRiON

The equivalent of boxing and mma judges in gaming. Making money while being incompetent at what you do. I'd love to play doom eternal and i believe i deserve it more than him as a huge fan, but it is what it is.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, Kapanyo said:

He said himself in the cuphead retrospective that he didn't upload the Cuphead video and that his peers did for a laugh

Which is nonsense, since first he called the tutorial difficult on the video description but later changed it to "I suck at cuphead"

On 1/27/2020 at 8:51 AM, Doomkid said:

think most people are/were going way too far with their criticisms and assumptions about the guy.

When I don't know how to play piano I don't review pianos...

But he does. Cuphead tutorial is very easy compared to the rest of it.