Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

I'll just be out here yelling my votes for Aubrey Hodges' PlayStation Doom and Final Doom OSTs.

Are there many vanilla-compatible graphics packs worth adding? Doom never got a big graphics overhaul like Wolfenstein 3D did (3DO), so the only set that really comes to mind is the Minor Sprite-Fixing Project. Unless we want to start digging into timeless classics like Pacman Doom.

I think distributing those will be a more difficult job as it will imply reaching a deal with Aubrey, the OSTs are available for purchase on Bandcamp.

I'd love to see them as an addon or something, especially if the D64 sprite pack gets added along with D64 for Doom 2.

2 hours ago, Lollie said:

the only set that really comes to mind is the Minor Sprite-Fixing Project

So long as the ports are getting tweaks anyway, this would be a tailor made addition to merge into the IWAD. After you remove the regressed Lost Soul faces, of course.

13 hours ago, Allard said:

Considering how Randy Scott, the CEO of Art Data interactive and one of the people who recorded said soundtrack, was convicted as a pedophile and put behind bars for 30 years, the 3DO Doom soundtrack ever appearing anywhere in any sort of official capacity is highly unlikely. And good riddance.

Jesus Christ! I'd never heard that before....... fuck him then and his soundtrack. 

10 hours ago, Allard said:

We can still try and get our boi Andrew Hulshult's awesome covers in there. 

When he finishes the DOOM II soundtrack, I'd personally be happy if they were made the de-facto official versions and the MIDI-metal relegated to the realm of the past. Whose meatus I gotta French-kiss to get this happening?

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

When he finishes the DOOM II soundtrack, I'd personally be happy if they were made the de-facto official versions and the MIDI-metal relegated to the realm of the past. Whose meatus I gotta French-kiss to get this happening?

Well that'd involve at least two meatuses, one of them being Andrew's.

Maybe we could expect Andrew Hulshult or someone to recreate that soundtrack in some way, because his remasters are good but a problem with some Doom music remasters is when a few forget that some Doom songs are meant to be certain genres, like how Doom 2's Map 2/Underhalls is technically a Jazz song or something.

But what happened with the original composers of the 3DO music sounds terrible, like Jesus.

7 hours ago, Jayextee said:

This is it. This is the worst thing anyone has posted on doomworld

No it's not. There have been far worse posts. (Un) fortunately we are unable to see them due to the closing of post hell... at least the posts made after the web interface change from... when was it again?

I get it, some people love the MIDI-metal. I've no idea why, even the best MIDI electric guitars sound feeble and lack any kind of punch or intensity compared to the real deal; which the Hulshult reworks have in spades.

My POV is that, of all DOOM's assets that soundtrack has probably aged the worst. Much of the rest can be seen in the aesthetics of many popular indie games, but few use MIDI instruments, either preferring chiptune stuff (which DOOM ain't really the place for) or higher-quality stuff. Hearing those rapid-fire E1M1 farts is probably not the most-pleasant thing for any newcomers who've heard about DOOM's legacy and got curious; without the DOStalgia at play, it's just not a very good sound to open the game to.

The thing is that I don't consider the Doom soundtrack to be pure metal. "Demons from Adrian's Pen", "Sinister", "They're Going to Get You", "Waltz of the Demons", etc. "Into Sandy's City" features a harpsichord. There's a lot of variety that you lose by going for Hulshult's remakes, but he remade them all in the same genre and with the same instrument. They're very good quality, but he set out to make a full metal cover, and that's what he did.

22 minutes ago, Gez said:

The thing is that I don't consider the Doom soundtrack to be pure metal. "Demons from Adrian's Pen", "Sinister", "They're Going to Get You", "Waltz of the Demons", etc. "Into Sandy's City" features a harpsichord.

A good point, and why I personally find such things to be the strongest pieces of music in general. My go-to DOOM music has been Davester2296's cover versions personally, even though Hulshult's are better-known (hence my suggesting them).

Jist is, MIDI as a standard hasn't grown enough to not sound like shit to unaccustomed ears. I feel if high resolutions and 60FPS frame-rates are being implemented in the new ports, there's little reason to leave the music behind like this.

27 minutes ago, Gez said:

The thing is that I don't consider the Doom soundtrack to be pure metal. "Demons from Adrian's Pen", "Sinister", "They're Going to Get You", "Waltz of the Demons", etc. "Into Sandy's City" features a harpsichord. There's a lot of variety that you lose by going for Hulshult's remakes, but he remade them all in the same genre and with the same instrument. They're very good quality, but he set out to make a full metal cover, and that's what he did.

Don't forget about D_DOOM as well, just another example of why Doom's music was never all-metal. I'm not fond of those metal exclusive soundtrack remasters either.

I'm honestly curious what kind of add-ons are being considered for support, whether they're straight up vanilla-compatible map packs or slight limit removers only, or if things like the visual / audio tweaks some folks want to see would be able to make it in there seeing as you can technically activate multiple add-ons at once. Because something like a D2 add-on of the PSX maps with colored lighting and the audio that would be reused for 64 would be neat, but that's not entirely plausible on a strictly-vanilla engine for that sort of lighting as far as I know?

Limit-removing stuff is easy possible, as the engine used already raised some limits, and that could be raised even more relatively easy, i guess. Alternative music shouldn't be a big deal too. But PSX-style colored lights, or scripting stuff like ACS  would need much more coding, i wouldn't bet features like this will be included.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:43 AM, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Calling someone a pedophile without providing any source or evidence is a bad idea.  However, that information about Randy Scott is true; in 2017 he was accused of committing abhorrent acts against young children.  Here's an article about it.

Here's the case on Leagle.com.

It's also mentioned in this video about 3DO DOOM (4:38).

The Doomwiki says:

Producer Randy Scott's church garage band was used to do the recordings

Figures the one version of the Doom soundtrack recorded in a church had to be a work by true evil.   Clergy on the Prey.

Just be sure that for every  use of it to send a letter to his cellmate letting him know what he did, and maybe prison justice can relieve the taxpayers.

Does anyone else get really bad slowdown during the end credits video for Doom 1 on PS4? It's a kickass sequence but it's unwatchable because sound breaks along with the video.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:11 PM, SiFi270 said:

You can keep your CG blobs and blades. I'll wait for something with a little more Kick.

kickdmt.png

Maybe they'll change it to Mighty Rain Attack to reflect Kick being long discontinued.

Hey, those are official!   The map is by Tim Willitis (He sold it to them).   And I thought they were on a Quake CD???

Funny I remember those being on someone's Quake 1 CD.   But I got a legit WinQuake and dos Quake CD's and they don't have it.   I even checked out a few Quake 1 isos and they didn't have it.   Checked my Master Levels, Final Doom, and Quake 2 CD's just to be sure.   Maybe it was a Quake shareware CD?   Though I remember the guy having the full game CD.   He did get the id Anthology too.

Even though I made player skins of the replacement shotgun guy and imp I couldn't find the files until I used Doomseeker's wadfinder to get them, but it set their file dates to current.  They're on idgames here:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/j-l/kickdm

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/j-l/kickdm2

But those are modified in that unchanged sprites were deleted and archive info was added to the txt file.    The originals have all sprites added so they can just run with vanilla right away.   However, those updated txt files had an archive link

http://web.archive.org/web/19990209135504/http://kicksoda.com/doom/doom.html

The downloads of kick1.exe and kick2.exe work, and are pkzip self extractors you can run in the dosbox (seem to hang for a bit but they work).   Still didn't preserve file dates so I used something to open them as archives and extract them.   They all date to March 1996.

Kickdm2.wad has an error where the replacement berserk pstra0 is somewhere before s_start.  So the regular one is added after it in with the other sprites.   The updated version doesn't fix this.  Only difference between playing kickdm or kickdm2 besides whether you see the new berserk, are the titlescreen, the map texturing and which unreplaced Doom music is playing.   I prefer the more over-the-top look of the Doom 1 textured version.   That version has a demo I watched in Eternity but it's just a crappy and short quick death.

EDIT: I have the Quake v1.01 install files I was given before I got my own legit CD, so that's probably the version of Quake with Kickdoom on the CD before they ditched it with later versions.

Also another note: I like their parody of Mountain Dew.. Alpine Spew.  The font matches.   And how the guys replacing the imp say Sssspppeeeeeeeeeewww as their projectile sound.

Edited by Gokuma

On 1/20/2020 at 7:22 AM, Linguica said:

So long as the ports are getting tweaks anyway, this would be a tailor made addition to merge into the IWAD. After you remove the regressed Lost Soul faces, of course.

This and Perk's HQ SFX.

I know it won't happen, but the dream would be one more expansion containing all the lost console levels and Romero's two warm up individual levels from before Sigil:

Tech Gone Bad
Phobos Mission Control
Betray

Sewers

Hell Gate

Hell Keep

Twilight Descends

Threshold of Pain

Redemption Denied

The Marshes

The Mansion

Club Doom

If they did that, every officially released Doom map would be playable on the new ports.

Not that id was asking us what would be good ideas for inclusion, but assuming there aren't rights headaches with Atari to sort out, I'd love to see Perdition's Gate, especially given it was allegedly originally intended for inclusion in Final Doom proper.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:08 PM, Gokuma said:

Could really do without Betray and Sewers unless someone fixes them up really well.

You're missing the 8 deathmatch maps exclusive to GBA Doom 1, but they suck.   1 and 3 are closest to tolerable.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/g-i/gbadm

Might as well include them even if they suck. They got officially released.

15 hours ago, famicommander said:

Might as well include them even if they suck. They got officially released.

Agreed, it's not like most of the Master Levels are any good.

+1 for Perdition's Gate. That there is some sweet, sweet DOOM. <3

(And IMO better than the now-included TNT: Evilution)

18 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Agreed, it's not like most of the Master Levels are any good.

There are worse maps in vanilla Doom II than anything in Master Levels in my opinion. 

Regardless, there's no reason not to include them. Anybody that doesn't like them can skip them, anybody that is curious can try them out. Nobody loses.