Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enforcer

DOOM Eternal Will Have No Microtransactions Creative Director Confirms

Kind of a shame that this is a big deal.

Glad nonetheless, though.

I will admit I was seriously worried when skins were announced.

Edited by Ramiel

Very pleased to hear this. Doom Eternal is shaping up to be an amazing game, but MTX was one of the flies in the ointment that I was dreading. I am so very glad that iD Software is going against the general grain on this one.

And yes, it's an indictment of the present-day games industry.

I knew we could count on Hugo. 

33 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Not to piss on the campfire, but:

https://mp1st.com/news/report-doom-eternal-battle-pass-confirmed-along-with-boosters

Grain of salt, of course, but if there are no IAP's, what the hell are the "boosters"?

I had apprehension about this too, but this report is conjecture and Hugo Martin's statement definitively says no micro transactions. 

It's just cheap manipulation, because f2p style progression and season pass is already in game. It's just about time, when they will add all of this microtransactions. Be smart.

I think the gaming press should do a little due diligence about this. Let's break down the comment:

"No store" - OK, this does not imply no microtransactions, it means there is not a dedicated storefront with a big list of items or whatever.

"Nothing u can unlock in eternal with XP has anything to do with player abilities or content that would impact your game in anyway." - nothing about microtransactions.

"The only thing u can unlock with XP is COSMETICS. These cosmetics have no impact on how u play, they just look cool." - Nothing about microtransactions.

"Eternal is a $60 game, not a free to play game or a mobile game - we are giving u a complete experience with no store just like you'd expect." - Nothing about microtransactions. Hugo is simply saying Doom Eternal is a $60 game and does not have a "store" in it. Was anyone ever suggesting Doom Eternal was F2P or mobile? Doth Hugo protest too much?

"Unlocking skins with XP is a part of the experience if you care about that stuff or u can completely ignore it and it will have no impact on your experience AT ALL and it’s all free." - Again, nothing saying that microtransactions do not exist, simply that skins are purely cosmetic.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:20 AM, scalliano said:

Not to piss on the campfire, but:

https://mp1st.com/news/report-doom-eternal-battle-pass-confirmed-along-with-boosters

Grain of salt, of course, but if there are no IAP's, what the hell are the "boosters"?

Exactly. Can we square what we have SEEN in the game footage, with "seasons" and "passes" and "boosters", with a TOTAL lack of any monetary aspect? Also we know for a fact that there are going to be at least 2 DLCs, will there be no microtransactions associated with those?

After Wolfenstein Youngblood tried to sell you gold bars as boosters for progression, it doesn't matter much if all the in-game skins are earnable without MTX - you still need EXP to get the unlockables, and they can still sell you boosters so you can pay to accelerate that EXP growth. I can't shoulder the blame on id here, this is distinctly a Bethesda publishing / Zenimax problem. The big decider is if the EXP rates are fair or you're expected to deal with way too much grinding just to get some really stupid cosmetics.

It also doesn't help that with the multiplayer only being Battle Mode and the game allegedly not launching with Invasion, there's intrinsically no value in any skins but the Slayers, so there's not much point in a battle pass or any of this.

season pass looks like older styled passes for actual expansions, im on phone so copying and pasting is hard. wolfenstein is being ran by tango gameworks, not id. they are different keep in mind. I might be wrong, but everything iv read and people iv talked to the developers are the ones who get to make these decisions. not everything is zenimax/bethesda's fault.

DON'T fall for the OP's LIES, of COURSE there will be microtransactions in the game! This video says so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bw65h8yeXI

The microtransactions may be COSMETIC, but after all of Bethesda's infesting of its other games with microtransactions, how can you expect them not to go back on their word and EXTEND them to other aspects of the game?

8 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

This video says so!DON'T fall for the OP's LIES, of COURSE there will be microtransactions in the game! This video says so!

No it doesn't. This video is the opinion of some guy who is in no way connected to id software. Meanwhile id software have explicitly stated no microtransactions.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

No it doesn't. This video is the opinion of some guy who is in no way connected to id software. Meanwhile id software have explicitly stated no microtransactions. 

So what? id Software are in Bethesda's pocket, they HAVE to do what Bethesda says to do. Mark my words, Bethesda (spits) WILL implement them at a later date. I'd rather avoid the game altogether.

1 minute ago, Foebane72 said:

So what? id Software are in Bethesda's pocket, they HAVE to do what Bethesda says to do. Mark my words, Bethesda (spits) WILL implement them at a later date. I'd rather avoid the game altogether.

If you have any insider information to present saying that Bethesda is forcing microtransactions, please show that information instead, not opinion pieces from random YouTube people. Otherwise all you are doing is baseless fear mongering. 

2 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

So what? id Software are in Bethesda's pocket, they HAVE to do what Bethesda says to do. 

That is not how that works.

I'm willing to take Hugo Martin at his word. He hasn't strayed so far. Is that naive? Probably. But I'll take that L if it comes to that.

I believe id software are still the good guys. It doesn't look like Bethesda managed to enforce microtransactions on Doom 2016. I think multiplayer had a bunch of map DLCs like it was gonna be big or something.

Hugo, you're on our side yeah? Your customers and fans?

imagine telling someone in the late 90's that some of the most exciting gaming news is that a video game is being released for 60$ without having to pay for extra stuff

Guest MIND

Good fucking riddance. I'm so fucking sick and tired of that shit. It plagues everything.

HELLO, ALL! Foebane72 BACK again!

I thought I'd come back on this thread to vindicate myself, as I SAID that Doom Eternal would have microtransactions, and you all said at the time that it wouldn't.

Well, LOOK who's been proved right!

So what have you to say to the fact that Hugo Martin did a complete U-turn on what he said about microtransactions, and even though now they are generally cosmetic, I would not be surprised if, in a future Bethesda/id Software Doom game, you have to BUY with REAL MONEY the weapons and even ammo you need to beat the game!

I had bad feelings about Doom Eternal, despite some good parts, and this proves me right all along!

The only microtransactions for Eternal are for past skins and profile items that have previously been offered for free several times before and are now offered for a relatively small fee for those who missed out, they're not locking anything crucial behind paywalls or anything like "new" skins

On 9/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, Foebane72 said:

I had bad feelings about Doom Eternal, despite some good parts, and this proves me right all along!

Being slightly right technically about an inconsequentially minor feature of the game after more than two years most certainly means you were not “right all along.” But I’m glad you came back to make such a loud and unnecessary declaration.

It's odd how something like Horde mode was released for free, but they still have the Cultist Base master level tied to a skin pack purchase. From what I understand it was free with a pre-order, but that's not the kind of thing I'd like to see put behind those "pre-order pay walls" anyways.

Easily justified/dismissed when buying Eternal during one of many sales seasons.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:32 AM, Foebane72 said:

Well, LOOK who's been proved right!

No one cares. Honestly dude, this post makes you look like an astronomical douche.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:32 AM, Foebane72 said:

you have to BUY with REAL MONEY the weapons and even ammo you need to beat the game!

And that game would tank, and rightfully so. Pay to win is BS, pay to win in multiplayer is BS but at least kind of understandable from a cynical moneymaking scheme, paying for weapons to win a single play game makes literally no sense and it would die.

Bit of a weird necro just to gloat about something completely inconsequential - generally when necroing, it's a good idea to have something useful to contribute...

"I had bad feelings about Doom Eternal, despite some good parts, and this proves me right all along!"

I love the trend of declaring a larger good 'whole' as 'BAD', (in this case, an arguably 9/10 video game) just because of a tiny little feature - in this case, completely optional cosmetic DLC - Wow! All that development work was for naught I guess - they added a couple cosmetic DLC items! Oh no!

All jokes aside though, you really shouldn't bump a thread to gloat. It's a real bad look, IMO.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:32 AM, Foebane72 said:

And Doom Eternal is still very well recived despite that.

Nice to see you havent changed one bit since you last been here.

For my part I agree that it sucks. The use of FOMO tactics in DE's "battle pass"-like cosmetic events structuring was gross. Converting the stuff over to paid DLCs after some of it didn't even get a second run is also gross, and is definitely made worse by the fact we were originally told it was all free. And that was gone back on almost immediately as well, and was certainly known of when Hugo Martin said what he did too, as a mere few days before release, Bethesda announced the Twitch Prime exclusive bullshit.

They've been boiling the frog on this stuff. Doom '16 carved up some of its cosmetics, levels, demons, and weapons between DLCs with a "season pass" type of structuring. DE took another step by making a bunch of the stuff premium and charging pretty ridiculous prices for it too (they want $10 for some of those skin packs, you all, these are not "micro"transactions).

Since being acquired by Microsoft, one of the companies that is gung-ho on monetization tactics, I fully expect to see pay-to-win come to the series in the future, and maybe lootbox-like mechanics with randomization to them to boot. And people will cheer for it like they are doing now.