Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Odd

OK, this makes no sense. I was looking through some of the Doom2 levels in Deepsea, and I noticed something odd - there are textures (upper, normal, and lower) on some sectors, and they don't need to be there. For instance, map24, The Chasm, the paper-thin walkways, they have upper SKIN2 textures. Deleting these textures does not give a missing sign. Odd. Why would the person or persons who designed these levels (if you can call some of them that) put textures in places where they shouldn't be?

They probably just changed their minds on how the map was going to be designed, and either forgot or didn't bother to remove those unneeded textures.

When working with complex structures, it is generally faster to select all the lines and assign both upper and lower textures to both sides. That way you don't have to worry about line directions and height changes that might cause missing textures.

Of course, there are no complex structures in the original levels, but one fact still applies: if you set e.g. an upper texture, and then change a sector's height so that the texture is no longer necessary, why would you waste time deleting the texture? Remember that obsolete textures don't require any extra space.

True, but it looks sorta messy when you're looking at it in-editor. I myself tend to remove superfluos textures, I just can't stand having, say, MARBGRAY on the upper and lower sides on the second sidedef. True, you don't see it, but still.

If you go to DCK 3.62, you can get rid of those all at once by just selecting as many lines as you want (or all of them), then hitting Ctrl-U. However, DCK also considers textures like gates, fences, etc. in the middle spot as extra, so Ctrl-U would remove them as well (just put them back again if that happens). I use it all the time to clean up my messes.

Mordeth said:

Welcome to 10 years ago :-)

Heh, I never noticed it until the other day :)

DeePsea has a "remove unneeded textures" function.

Anyway, I don't think id was concerned with people examining their every detail and error, or they would've made all the sectors closed and not missed any textures (MAP02, E4M1, MAP29, etc).

Besides, they didn't exactly have DeePsea's l33t error checker. =P We have a lot more now, like pack sectors and pack sidedefs and error checkers that could very well cut Doom2.wad down to 3/4 filesize or less. The engine was just new then, that's all.

Ichor said:

If you go to DCK 3.62, you can get rid of those all at once by just selecting as many lines as you want (or all of them), then hitting Ctrl-U. However, DCK also considers textures like gates, fences, etc. in the middle spot as extra, so Ctrl-U would remove them as well (just put them back again if that happens). I use it all the time to clean up my messes.

True, but you could just deselect or not select them in the first place. THat's what I do. (rolling eyes)

Nanami said:

Anyway, I don't think id was concerned with people examining their every detail and error, or they would've made all the sectors closed and not missed any textures (MAP02, E4M1, MAP29, etc).

Besides, they didn't exactly have DeePsea's l33t error checker. =P We have a lot more now, like pack sectors and pack sidedefs and error checkers that could very well cut Doom2.wad down to 3/4 filesize or less. The engine was just new then, that's all.

Well, the major thing was Doom was new and the editors they had were generally not very good. Also, remember, they had to pretty much invent how to edit as they went along.

Also, on the subject of size, putting a texture on an upper sidedef that doesn't need it takes up no space at all in the wad. Instead of storing "MARBGRAY\0" (null terminated string) it stores "-\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0" which is the same exact size (\0 is a single char if you don't know) so it's really not much of an issue at all in that sense.

Uh, how is it that you came across this? Were you actually looking through the wads in an attempt to find something like this?

Assmaster said:

Uh, how is it that you came across this? Were you actually looking through the wads in an attempt to find something like this?

Well, basically it goes like this: I was bored. Outside my mind. You figure it out :)

Nanami said:

Any faster way of doing this with Deepsea? i see the option but it stops at every line and asks you what to do with it. I need to removes LOTS of extra textures automaticly.

EDIT: heh, found it. lots of stuff in those menus, easy to miss things ;)