Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lawrence

Serenity Castle

Name: Serenity Castle (not the final version)
Map Format: Doom
Ports Tested: Original DOS DOOM2.EXE, Doom2P.EXE, BOOM, GZDoom 1.8.1
Ports Tested That Actually Work: GZDoom 1.8.1
IWAD: DOOM2.WAD, also looks OK with freedoom.wad
Map(s): START
Music: Me
Gameplay: Single play - multiplayer not ready
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: Yes - multiplayer not ready though
Build Time: About 3 months
Textures: Doesn't use anything outside of DOOM2.WAD textures
Requirements: Freelook recommended, Brutal doom mod recommended

I created a MAPINFO for this WAD - that means the map is in its own unnamed 1-map episode, complete with an ending.  So when you load the WAD, just start it like a normal game.  You can type "MAP START" to restart the map.

This is a big map and lasts a while. 

It's meant to be playable (as in progressing nicely) and hopefully fun and interesting.  There's no Cyberdemons or Spider Masterminds.

I can run through it in 30 minutes.

I have a bit of work to do on it (there's some places where you run low on ammunition and the finale needs more work, and some linedefs that should be hidden aren't, and a bunch of other small things) but am ready to take a break from it for a little bit.  I hope anyone who tries it out enjoys it.

Serenity Castle - Titlepic.jpg

Serenity Castle Map.png

Serenity_Castle.zip

Edit: 
I've taken some feedback and am continuing to update this WAD as time and motivation allows.
Latest version here for anyone interested: https://github.com/lawrencecandilas/serenity-castle

Edited by Lawrence

This looks great! Is there a particular reason why you recommend Brutal Doom? Or is it just a "more fun" matter?

4 minutes ago, CacoLemon said:

This looks great! Is there a particular reason why you recommend Brutal Doom? Or is it just a "more fun" matter?

Brutal Doom lets you destroy the impaled humans and there's a section in the map where that's useful (and fun), but not required.  Also there's a lot of long range projectile action from monsters and IMHO that's a bit better with Brutal.  But again not required.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Brutal Doom lets you destroy the impaled humans and there's a section in the map where that's useful (and fun), but not required.  Also there's a lot of long range projectile action from monsters and IMHO that's a bit better with Brutal.  But again not required.

Alright, thanks!

I checked out why the WAD is 14 MB, and I found this beautiful piece of music. This alone makes me look forward to play this thing tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your map. Here's some feedback.

The player has a vast area to work with. The monsters are not very threatening though, since there are not many forced, close encounters or surprise/ambush traps. Doom veterans will breeze through this, even on UV. Progression is mostly linear, weaving the player outside and inside the facility.

The use of switches is both a strength and a weakness.  I like the way the player is lead throughout the facility with the clever use of switches. The switches that do something you can see happen nearby are fine. On the other hand, the remote switches can be frustrating, especially the ones that do mysterious things remotely and may require significant backtracking. In addition, I found myself stuck for quite a while, missing what I later found was an obvious switch, but easy to miss on a map with a large layout like this one.

The map took me over an hour to finish, but then I wanted to hunt down 100% kills, items and secrets. I feel that the secret locked behind an Action 21 S1 Door Open Wait Close trigger to be quite unfair. I can't see a good reason for not making the switch repeatable.

In the narrow northern passage leading back to the start, the arachnotron (Thing 1404) is stuck and doesn't fire at the player (and is hard to spot up on the cliffs).

I had quite a bit of fun playing your map for the most part. Thanks again.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:11 AM, tmorrow said:

Thanks for sharing your map. Here's some feedback.

The player has a vast area to work with. The monsters are not very threatening though, since there are not many forced, close encounters or surprise/ambush traps. Doom veterans will breeze through this, even on UV. Progression is mostly linear, weaving the player outside and inside the facility.

The use of switches is both a strength and a weakness.  I like the way the player is lead throughout the facility with the clever use of switches. The switches that do something you can see happen nearby are fine. On the other hand, the remote switches can be frustrating, especially the ones that do mysterious things remotely and may require significant backtracking. In addition, I found myself stuck for quite a while, missing what I later found was an obvious switch, but easy to miss on a map with a large layout like this one.

The map took me over an hour to finish, but then I wanted to hunt down 100% kills, items and secrets. I feel that the secret locked behind an Action 21 S1 Door Open Wait Close trigger to be quite unfair. I can't see a good reason for not making the switch repeatable.

In the narrow northern passage leading back to the start, the arachnotron (Thing 1404) is stuck and doesn't fire at the player (and is hard to spot up on the cliffs).

I had quite a bit of fun playing your map for the most part. Thanks again.

Thanks!  I went ahead and made that switch repeatable, I forget my initial reason for setting it to once.  Also gonna continue to work on it and finish it someday.  Thank you very much.