Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Where can I get a full version of Doom 1 made in 1993?

Guest MIND

Where can I get a disc version of the full Doom 1 game. I have a shareware CD that only has the first episode on it with 9 levels but the full game has 3 episodes. I cant find the 1993 original disc on eBay.

Guest MIND
3 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

You'd have better luck getting a digital copy. 

So they dont exist?

The 3 episode version was never released on CD if I am not mistaken. If you want a CD you have to look for the 4 episode Ultimate Doom.

Both Doom1 and 2 I purchased were on Floppy Disks.

Guest MIND
11 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The 3 episode version was never released on CD if I am not mistaken. If you want a CD you have to look for the 4 episode Ultimate Doom.

Both Doom1 and 2 I purchased were on Floppy Disks.

Was the Doom 1 you got on floppy just the first episode?

Doom 1 in it's entirety came on floppy disks. Later Ultimate Doom was released on CD with episode 4 added. You could try and look for a copy of that, but again it would be less hassle to just buy the digital version somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The 3 episode version was never released on CD if I am not mistaken.

As far I am aware, there are at least two users of this forum who own the CD release of Registered Doom 1.9. One of them is @omega_supreme . I cannot mention the other for privacy reasons.

https://s912.photobucket.com/user/omega_supreme/library/Classic Games Collection/Doom?sort=3&page=1

It cannot be ruled out that some local distributors created a CD for it but those were not mass market articles. In 1993 having a CD-ROM drive was not the norm.

To clarify, the original Doom release was never available in stores. It was mail order only, and was only available on floppy (like 6 of them IIRC). 

Doom 2 was sold in stores, and was available I'm both CD form and floppy disk. Then a year later, Ultimate Doom (which is Doom 1 + a new episode) was essentially a re-release of Doom 1 and was available in stores.

So it can be a little tricky to get hold of the original releases. That's why most people here download the original wad files digitally (gog.com works fine) and then then through a source port. 

Guest MIND
13 minutes ago, Bauul said:

To clarify, the original Doom release was never available in stores. It was mail order only, and was only available on floppy (like 6 of them IIRC).  

Doom 2 was sold in stores, and was available I'm both CD form and floppy disk. Then a year later, Ultimate Doom (which is Doom 1 + a new episode) was essentially a re-release of Doom 1 and was available in stores. 

So it can be a little tricky to get hold of the original releases. That's why most people here download the original wad files digitally (gog.com works fine) and then then through a source port.  

Did CD players not exist on computers in 1993 or something? Why was it only released on floppy? :/ Strange.

they existed back then, but they wasn't soo common as the floppy disk. i even had a pc with the black and white windows and the bigger floppy disk that i don't remember how it was called. Check the movie ''Hackers'', is from the last years of the 80's if i'm not wrong, there the young hackers hijacket different electronic devices with recorded noises, floppy disks and some bizarre laptops that had a striking and marvelous capacity of 256 colors on screen.

19 minutes ago, Bauul said:

That may be true in the US - but here in Germany it was available in the stores - but only the floppy version.

here in Argentina we got it in boxed CD edition, and it wasn't the Ultimate Doom edition (v1.9) it was, if i'm not wrong, the v1.3, and you have to call to walmart and different shoping entities for sell you the update to v1.666. Ultimate Doom edition was released pretty late here, some time around quake release. And the box was the same as OG Doom with the word ULTIMATE added, so a lot of people don't get to know that there was a new version of the original game.
The floppy edition was rarer and pretty difficult to find, soo what we pc lovers do back then was buy a lot of floppy disks and copy all the cd rom data and then install it in differents pcs.  

That CD is the mail order version, released on March of 1995.

As for the original topic, there is this (1.666, floppies not tested according to the seller) which fits the description, unless by made in 1993 you exclusively mean Registered Doom 1.1:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184152734872

I personally would go for a CD release of The Ultimate Doom. Well, in fact I own one, just the loose CD.

Guest MIND
6 minutes ago, chungy said:

I think there might have been versions on CD-ROM, but CDs were pretty expensive back then, much more than floppies were.

I don't know if it satisfies you, but the wiki has links to the GOG and Steam storefronts if you simply want the game: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/How_to_download_and_run_Doom#Doom_classic

Can you even hook up a floppy drive on a PC these days and use that ancient thing?

1 minute ago, MINDDomkr said:

Can you even hook up a floppy drive on a PC these days and use that ancient thing?

Sure, especially if you have a USB floppy drive.

Guest MIND
1 minute ago, chungy said:

Sure, especially if you have a USB floppy drive. 

I'm guessing the game saves on your floppy drive then. Not your computers Hard Drive.

The floppies only contained a conpressed version of the game that needed to be installed on the hard drive.

Disregarding the space issues, playing directly from them would have been far too slow.

10 minutes ago, MINDDomkr said:

I'm guessing the game saves on your floppy drive then. Not your computers Hard Drive.

If you constantly save and made the PC read FROM the floppy disk, you gonna fuck it up.
The technology of the floppy disk is similar to the cassetes, so they are pretty sensible and easy to damage if you don't know how to handle them properly.
The way to go with floppy disks was copying the content of the disk to your pc, and then deleteing it when you don't use it.

Also, in the floppy disk of Doom you will only found the installationg program of OG Doom, not the wad or the .exe. The program will install it in your PC wherever you want and your save game will also appeard in that PC folder.

Guest MIND
30 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The floppies only contained a conpressed version of the game that needed to be installed on the hard drive. 

Disregarding the space issues, playing directly from them would have been far too slow. 

Can you still buy internal floppy drives for your PC?

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

The technology of the floppy disk is similar to the cassetes

No, they are proper random-access media extremely similar to hard disks that you still buy today, just with a single platter, very slow, and very small capacity. I think the fastest you can get out of a floppy is around 50 KB/s (yes, K), and most drives/disks are going to be slower than that.

Doom is far too large to fit on a conventional floppy disk (though it would fit on a LS-120 or Zip disk) and was never intended to run off a floppy as a result. The floppies that were sold and shipped contained an installer that uncompressed and copied the game to your hard disk for you to actually run from.

Vanilla Doom does have a "-cdrom" parameter to assist playing from read-only media, as the parameter is named, intended for CD-ROMs, where the game could be stored uncompressed. When passed this parameter, it uses C:\DOOMDATA for configuration and save games. It could possibly be useful if you have Doom on CD-ROM and a small enough hard disk where installing it would be inconvenient.

All in all, original media can make a nice collector's item, but it's totally impractical for really obtaining/playing the game. With disks now being 25~30 years old, the chances of data corruption on them is increasing too. Steam and GOG won't give you corrupted files and are surely much cheaper. the "iwad-patches" repository linked earlier could be used to downgrade from Ultimate Doom to 1.1 if you really want to, and the vanilla-engine directory even has the full tree of EXEs if you want to run it in DOSBox, but this is also probably more hassle than worth just to play the game. Chocolate Doom is a lot easier to get a vanilla experience, and GZDoom is great to modernize it (high-res, widescreen, better controls).

Edited by chungy

Spending hundreds of euros / dollars on these floppies just to realize that one of them contains bad sectors has to be an amazing sensation, sure. Not to mention the chance of the contents being tampered with just because the former owner removed the write protection. For example, it is known that Windows 9x used to modify silently the boot sector of any unprotected floppy, the fucking infamous IHC tags. And, if I remember correctly, Windows NT (and perhaps also 2000, XP and derivatives) used to modify the file system to update the access timestamps, just by listing the contents of the drive.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

No, they are proper random-access media extremely similar to hard disks that you still buy today, just with a single platter, very slow, and very small capacity. I think the fastest you can get out of a floppy is around 50 KB/s (yes, K), and most drives/disks are going to be slower than that.

Yes i explain it pretty missleading, what i tried to said is that they are similar in the material they are made as they are both a single layer of plastic with a thin layer of metal over them. Very sensible to magnetic fiels and heat.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

original media can make a nice collector's item, but it's totally impractical for really obtaining/playing the game. With disks now being 25~30 years old, the chances of data corruption on them is increasing too.

1 hour ago, Diabolución said:

Spending hundreds of euros / dollars on these floppies just to realize that one of them contains bad sectors has to be an amazing sensation, sure. Not to mention the chance of the contents being tampered with just because the former owner removed the write protection.

Yes, floppies are sometimes risky to buy as the disks might look okay in pictures but the data on them is corrupt or whatever. CDs are susceptible to scratches of course but if the discs are looked after they can last much longer.

I know some people who keep their games in their loft/attics or even outside in their garage which has no heating in it.

As far as I know, there is no reason to seek out a Doom Registered 1.9 CD unless you are a total hardcore collector who already has every other version.

The Ultimate Doom 1.9 is the one you should be looking for if you just want a physical copy of Doom for a reasonable price. There are DOS versions, Win95 and Mac versions, so be sure to get the right one (DOS would be considered the “most legit” version, I suppose, but they all have the same IWAD).

Search on eBay for “ultimate doom CD”. Sort price by lowest first. Find the best looking one that’s in your price range. No fuss, No problem!

Unless you are really, really hardcore into retro computing stuff, there is absolutely no reason to be mucking around with floppy drives this side of the new millennium..