1. 1. Best doom game?

• Doom
    • Doom 2
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3
    • Doom rpg
    • Doom 2 rpg
    • Doom 2016

What a refreshing thread. Hey let's discuss why Doom 3 is not as great while we are at it.

Doom 2 mostly due to SSG and added monsters.

Cool Avatar btw.

Doom 3 is a good game but it is not a good doom game. And yes this is overused, I just made It as an  experiment.

2 minutes ago, Chezza said:

What a refreshing thread. Hey let's discuss why Doom 3 is not as great while we are at it.

Doom 2 mostly due to SSG and added monsters.

Cool Avatar btw.

2 hours ago, Oppo1021 said:

Doom 3 is a good game but it is not a good doom game.

I am pretty positive that Chezza was saying that in jest.

2 hours ago, Oppo1021 said:

And yes this is overused, I just made It as an  experiment.

As an experiment for what? How to post?

Oh no...maybe i shouldn't. I could get in trouble for "shitposting". Anyways, i choose Doom (or The Ultimate Doom which ever one) as i'm more fond of the maps. Don't get me wrong, i like Doom 2, it's just that i don't play it that much. Maybe i should start though.

BTW where's Master Levels for Doom II and Final Doom? Those are still id Software products. I'm sure some people would vote for those (especially Final Doom). Eh, it's your poll. Add w/e you want i guess.

Also i'm not sure what the "experiment" is that you mentioned. Were you just trying to see if you could post a thread with a poll?

My answer would be Doom 2 if Sandy Peterson hadn't made half the maps. Gimmick, maze, empty, empty, maze, maze, gimmick, so on. Civvie said it best, if you have to put arrows in a Doom level giving directions, it's probably lamely designed. That said, a majority of the best wads are for Doom 2. Also the SSG and new demons speak for themselves.

But vanilla game alone goes to Ultimate Doom imo.

Ultimate Doom for me, I just love the classic maps.

Doom 64 should also be granted a little more credit. Not sure if it's the best, but it surely is a masterpiece.

2 hours ago, High On Berserk said:

Ultimate Doom.

P.S. Really dig your avatar! Mind sharing it?

You can right click or tap and hold to download images.

41 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

You can right click or tap and hold to download images.

I just thought there was bigger/higher quality version in your hard drive or something.

1. Doom 64

2. The Ultimate Doom + Sigil

3. Doom II: Hell on Earth + The Master Levels + No Rest for the Living

4. Doom (2016)

5. Final Doom

6. Doom VFR

Doom 3 is not worthy of being ranked and I don't give a crap about the cell phone games.

Final Doom and PSX Doom really should have been on here..

...So they could lose to DOOM 2 fair and square!

I love all the Dooms, I don't want people to think I'm hating on PSX or Final

On 2/3/2020 at 1:47 AM, Oppo1021 said:

Doom 3 is a good game but it is not a good doom game.

You really hate to see it. This is one of those quotes that gets thrown around like a sack of potatoes, and it really irks me. When Aliens came out, no one said "This is a great movie! But it's not a good Alien movie." Like sure, they both have Aliens, but in Aliens they kill them by the dozens, the tone just isn't the same, its an action movie rather than a horror film. Doom 3 has the setting, the atmosphere, hell it even has a similar monster roster to Doom 2. Doom 3 is primarily based off the more atmospheric beats of Ultimate Doom. Walking through corridors only for a closet full of enemies to surprise you within a corrupted tech base. Doom 3 took a lot of classic mechanics and tried to realize them in a more realistic environment. Listening to audio logs and getting numbers to a safe to retrieve extra ammo, which is comparable to a secret. I feel that Doom 3 adapted completely different elements to the modern era than Doom 2016 did, and in my opinion they are both fine additions to the series (though I prefer 2016), because Doom was known for its horror and atmosphere (though it might not look it now) just as much as its speed back in the day, and be honest, did Doom 2016 attempt to frighten the player at all? It may not fit within your own hyper specific definition of what a Doom game is, but then, Doom 2016 should not either.

5 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

You really hate to see it. This is one of those quotes that gets thrown around like a sack of potatoes, and it really irks me. When Aliens came out, no one said "This is a great movie! But it's not a good Alien movie." Like sure, they both have Aliens, but in Aliens they kill them by the dozens, the tone just isn't the same, its an action movie rather than a horror film. Doom 3 has the setting, the atmosphere, hell it even has a similar monster roster to Doom 2. Doom 3 is primarily based off the more atmospheric beats of Ultimate Doom. Walking through corridors only for a closet full of enemies to surprise you within a corrupted tech base. Doom 3 took a lot of classic mechanics and tried to realize them in a more realistic environment. Listening to audio logs and getting numbers to a safe to retrieve extra ammo, which is comparable to a secret. I feel that Doom 3 adapted completely different elements to the modern era than Doom 2016 did, and in my opinion they are both fine additions to the series (though I prefer 2016), because Doom was known for its horror and atmosphere (though it might not look it now) just as much as its speed back in the day, and be honest, did Doom 2016 attempt to frighten the player at all? It may not fit within your own hyper specific definition of what a Doom game is, but then, Doom 2016 should not either.

Can nobody take a joke?

Just now, Asking4Id said:

I feel like TNT and Plutonia (at least) should have been options.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Final Doom and PSX Doom really should have been on here..

...So they could lose to DOOM 2 fair and square!

Reveal hidden contents

I love all the Dooms, I don't want people to think I'm hating on PSX or Final

6 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

TNT is my favourite Doom and I love it.

I am upset you neglected it and I will have you trialled for treason 

On 2/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, Solmyr said:

No PSX version and no Final Doom. Blasphemy! 

On 2/3/2020 at 6:37 AM, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

No Final Doom?

Final doom is lumped in with doom 2 as it is mostly two great doom 2 megawads as Iwads

26 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

Final doom is lumped in with doom 2 as it is mostly two great doom 2 megawads as Iwads

Doom 2 it is then

Really hard call. Most of the mainline entries have been pretty stellar, even Doom 3 , as much as I don't like it's flow. 

Ultimately, I'd go with OG Doom. I think its levels were just nicer, and had more of a sense of context than Doom 2 did. Also needs to be noted that, as awesome as Doom 2 was, it really was more of an expansion pack than a full blown sequel, so I feel like it should get points docked on that account.