Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arcadeadriano

Tim Willits Podcast Interview - Doom Legend Reveals All

Tim Willits Podcast Interview - Doom Legend Reveals All

The id Software legend Tim Willits joins Arcade Attack for a no holds barred podcast chat about creating the Quake games, leading design on DOOM titles and what he really thinks about some of his former id colleagues (you’ve probably guessed who we’re on about). He also responds to 'those' allegations that he lied about first coming up with the idea of dedicated multiplayer maps.

Greener pastures await him at Saber Interactive after around 24 years at id. Think you’ve heard all there is to know about Quake and DOOM? Think again! Tim’s truly got his BFG out for this one and we loved it, hope you will too.

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast-february-1-2020/

9 minutes ago, arcadeadriano said:

I wasn't sure where best this would belong. I can delete 2. But where is the best place in your opinion. Sorry.

Once in General is fine.

And thanks for the link, I'll give it a listen when I get up tomorrow.

Posting the same thing in three subforums screams spam. It also didn't help that you lifted the puff text from the website. For the 15 seconds I thought you wrote it yourself, it felt exactly like drive-by spam. So if you aren't a spammer, use a quote block next time. Or if you are, change nothing -- to facilitate your detection. ;)

I'm 12 minutes in, and already have to laugh about how Tim says that mappers nowadays put every texture in their maps which makes them "inconsistent". I don't remember when I've last seen such a map, if ever, but it's definitely funny that Tim, once again, has problems with details...

I'm gonna put my thoughts into spoilers from here, because spoilers...

Spoiler

So, for something that promotes itself with headlines like "reveals all", there isn't a whole lot of revealing going on. I get it though, you somehow gotta get people to click, and also Tim probably won't just put his neck into a noose either... So clickbaiting is to be expected.

Now, as for what's being discussed, there isn't a whole lot spice to be had, certainly not BFG levels of spice. Aside of a few jabs in Romero's direction, either by refusing to mention him early on, or saying that Romero was actually fired (even though he says that he wasn't), there isn't much content aside of Willits's new job at Saber, and few personal anecdotes (which I didn't necessarily find particularly interesting or insightful, to be honest). Your mileage may vary, I'm just saying my piece here.

Anyway, good for you to get Tim on the show, too bad your copy-pasted OP promised significantly more than the interview was able to deliver, from my point of view. Whether or not Tim practises what he preaches with regards to "old farts not saying their opinions about new id games" (as if that was somehow bad in the first place) remains to be seen... :P

Fr

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm gonna put my thoughts into spoilers from here, because spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

So, for something that promotes itself with headlines like "reveals all", there isn't a whole lot of revealing going on. I get it though, you somehow gotta get people to click, and also Tim probably won't just put his neck into a noose either... So clickbaiting is to be expected.

Now, as for what's being discussed, there isn't a whole lot spice to be had, certainly not BFG levels of spice. Aside of a few jabs in Romero's direction, either by refusing to mention him early on, or saying that Romero was actually fired (even though he says that he wasn't), there isn't much content aside of Willits's new job at Saber, and few personal anecdotes (which I didn't necessarily find particularly interesting or insightful, to be honest). Your mileage may vary, I'm just saying my piece here.

Anyway, good for you to get Tim on the show, too bad your copy-pasted OP promised significantly more than the interview was able to deliver, from my point of view. Whether or not Tim practises what he preaches with regards to "old farts not saying their opinions about new id games" (as if that was somehow bad in the first place) remains to be seen... :P

You've put me off listening to that LOL!! 

i take offence at your mischaracterization of modern levels as having no consistent texture theme, mr.willits. I'll have you know our tastes in textures are just as boring as they were back in the day ;)

1 hour ago, Gez said:

what the hell

why does this exist

Sexual fetishism or erotic fetishism is a sexual fixation on a nonliving object or nongenital body part. The object of interest is called the fetish; the person who has a fetish for that object is a fetishist. A sexual fetish may be regarded as a non-pathological aid to sexual excitement, or as a mental disorder if it causes significant psychosocial distress for the person or has detrimental effects on important areas of their life. Sexual arousal from a particular body part can be further classified as partialism.

While medical definitions restrict the term sexual fetishism to objects or body parts, fetish can, in common discourse, also refer to sexual interest in specific activities.

Interesting - I'll give this a listen later on.

Tim has done some incredible stuff as mapper(Q2DM1 for example) but as a person leading creative efforts he seems somewhat incompetent. He lacks Romero's sting and appears too bland.

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

(Spoilers)

Actually I thank you for the spoilers and I don't need to listen to 1 hour long thing, especially your saying of not too much a reveal.

Solely from my immature speculations and far-from-complete information, I feel he's out of the Doom community for way too long to understand mapping or stuff. Considering he only had 2 maps in EP4 and 2 more Master Levels, I personally would consider his maps are fine. At least Romero did get in some later ideas of details and put into his maps recently.

Another interview from two months ago.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

I personally would consider his maps are fine.

Indeed, they are fine. They suffer a bit of monotexturing though.

Edited by Diabolución : Repair the format.

"It's visual consistency," says man pranked by colleagues to only show BROWN* textures in editor selection.

1 hour ago, Diabolución said:

Indeed, they are fine. They suffer a bit of monotexturing though.

15 minutes ago, dew said:

"It's visual consistency," says man pranked by colleagues to only show BROWN* textures in editor selection.

I guess these 2 sentences perfectly sums up my "fine" for his maps. I definitely need to "improve" my English to show my precise description like these :P

1 hour ago, dew said:

They prankesters might as well not have bothered, since most of his work was found in QUAKE, ;)

"And so that's why in Quake 1 you can rocket jump through some of the levels. Because we had no clip brushes - clip brushes kinda stop you from moving through areas - and we had no clip brushes on some of the ceilings and things. Whereas in Quake 2 we learned you need to clip brush the ceiling to stop people from rocket jumping through your level.."

I had no idea that the open sky portals in the ceilings of Quake were "passable." Hilarious!

He worked for quite some time under Zenimax now, which owns Bethesda too, and he still didn't get his facts together. Quake was NOT the first game with a "true" 3D engine. Bethesdas Terminator Future Shock was released in 1995, was running on Bethesdas XnGine, which was "true" 3D. In the year Quake was released, Bethesda released Terminator SkyNet and Elder Scrolls Daggerfall using the same engine.

I thought this guy was just a dork when he made those false comments about inventing MP-only maps and the rest of the team thinking it was a stupid idea, but now I know that he is in fact a full-on wiener due to his feelings about Romero.

I always considered he was kind of a douchebag, and the more I learned about him, the more confident I became in this evaluation.

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

He worked for quite some time under Zenimax now, which owns Bethesda too, and he still didn't get his facts together. Quake was NOT the first game with a "true" 3D engine. Bethesdas Terminator Future Shock was released in 1995, was running on Bethesdas XnGine, which was "true" 3D. In the year Quake was released, Bethesda released Terminator SkyNet and Elder Scrolls Daggerfall using the same engine.

I think Descent actually predates Terminator.

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I guess these 2 sentences perfectly sums up my "fine" for his maps. I definitely need to "improve" my English to show my precise description like these :P

is "adequate" the word you're looking for?

42 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

I thought this guy was just a dork when he made those false comments about inventing MP-only maps and the rest of the team thinking it was a stupid idea, but now I know that he is in fact a full-on wiener due to his feelings about Romero.

Yeah the "continued beef" is annoying, because Romero helped start up the commercial DWANGO service before Willits was even hired by Raven. The community was playing DM-only maps and id was getting a cut from the profits since 1994! DWANGO5 is quite literally a fifth DM map compilation from July 1995. Here are some logs featuring Romero in dwango's irc chat from July 1996, hyping up Quake's upcoming release in a dedicated DM community.

It's absurd to lie about it so brazenly just because the current day crowds are ready to eat it up. All of this is easily provable, because people documented history.

Hallo,

the podcast interview is a bit boring, nothing "new" revealed. Just about the good old games, the good old days and all that.

If he doesn't talk about his love for GSTONE, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Spoiler

Yes, I will continue to drive this joke face-first into the ground forever.

6 hours ago, JBerg said:

Willits' jealousy of Romero is really hilarious.

Is it because Romero is a legend and Tim Willits is just Tim Willits?

Yes.