Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roboticmehdi2

freelook

I was thinking.

Did any of 90s official doom console ports had up-down look ability?

(jaguar, genesis/32x, snes/sfx, ps1, 3do, saturn, n64)

7 hours ago, doomsucksass said:

Why do people constantly make threads like this that could be easily solved by just looking it up somewhere?

• Its not penalized to make these threads (Perhaps only on a consistent basis)
  • People in general go for the easiest route to Rome. Which in their case is making a thread. Even though the actual easiest route is to use the search function
  • Not everyone knows everything about Doom. Given the influx of new members coming from Doom 2016, Brutal Doom and Eternal, often a lot younger than seasoned members, the chance of asking such questions rises
  • People in general don't bother looking things up if it means it takes more than 10 seconds to do all the steps

Not related to this topic, but what i dislike far more is people asking a question and stop participating in the topic. As if you are only making the topic to ask the question and simply can care less about thanking those who help you out or discuss with the topic you have set yourself. Participate, please!

Also OP my answer to your question would be this:

513697681_avatarbatmanfunny.thumb.png.6f

9 hours ago, doomsucksass said:

Why do people constantly make threads like this that could be easily solved by just looking it up somewhere?

Probably the same reason why people like you poke at someone's question with the "Search it up lul" answer

10 hours ago, doomsucksass said:

so you know how when you look that type of thing up and the answer is usually in a forum like this one? this post is now one of the first results when you google 'console doom freelook' and is the only one that has useful answers, in 10-15 years when someone wants this information, this post will be useful to them

Edited by BBQgiraffe : grammar fix

12 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

so you know how when you look that type of thing up and the answer is usually in a forum like this one? this post is now one of the first results when you google 'console doom freelook' and is the only one that has useful answers, in 10-15 years when someone wants this information, this post will be useful to them

legit had something similar like this happen to me, had a problem where this NPC wouldn't show up, looked it up and i had to spawn the npc in myself

(it was a bethesda game.)

Thanks everyone for the answers. I am not a doom newbie (as a player) who came from bRRRutal doom (hate it) or Doom 2016, and I did my search before posting here. It not like in features they write "no freelook in this version", like it was in any other. I asked because technically especially ps1 and n64 have 3d hardware acceleration and a lot other 3d games on these machines are fully 3d (have u-down look ability), I wonder then, is it technically not possible to up-down look (because of rendering algorithm) on these or it's just there are no key bindings for that. Just a thought.

Edited by roboticmehdi2

4 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

Thanks everyone for the answers. I am not a doom newbie (as a player) who came from bRRRutal doom (hate it) or Doom 2016, and I did my search before posting here. It not like in features they write "no freelook in this version", like it was in any other.

Did you actually search it though? Because the official answer may not surprise you.

4 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

I wonder then, is it technically not possible to up-down look (because of rendering algorithm) on these or it's just there are no key bindings for that. Just a thought.

Its technically possible. Its just that no official port, being based from the official sources, implemented them.

18 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

I wonder then, is it technically not possible to up-down look (because of rendering algorithm) on these or it's just there are no key bindings for that. Just a thought.

I'll give you an interesting answer to that. The original renderer proper cannot do true freelook. However, Heretic and Hexen, both on the Doom engine, have a limited form of free-look using something called Y-shearing. Basically, you render the scene as if you were on a super-tall screen, then only display part of the of that screen based on the angle. The higher/lower you look up, you stretch the image to make it look like you are looking up. This is actually quite similar to the Mercator projection used for maps of the Earth, where things near the poles look far bigger than they actually are. This obviously has some severe limitations: you are technically always looking at something straight forward, and large angles will severely degrade the image. Looking straight up or straight down is also impossible.

So the jist of it is no, the Doom renderer cannot do true freelook, and the substitute of Y-shearing doesn't really cut it. To add to that, the Doom engine games are designed without freelook in mind, so if you are making a console port, there is no real need to add it, it would just be a little bonus. Standard 3D shooter controls on PC/Console weren't standardised at this time yet anyway, so it would have been another task to figure out how to map everything.

Official ports of classic Doom games do not have freelook because those games were designed to be like that. Lack of freelook also works great with the heavy focus on dodging projectiles and the fast player movement. I also personally enjoy the fact that without freelook, the Doom feels like awesome first person arcade shmup instead of a very primitive first person shooter game. I definitely recommend all classic Doom players try to get used to playing without freelook, it might feel awkward and too limited for a while but once you get hang of it, classic Doom becomes just so much more fun game to play.

If there will ever be any kind of official Doom retro throwback game, I want them to keep classic control mechanics without any kind of freelook ability.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, BBQgiraffe said:

LOL several months ago I'd forgotten how to deselect-all on Doom Builder, googling "doom builder deselect all" one of the first results is a thread from 2009 I answered.

Freelook is a major cheat in my eyes, not as big of a cheat as jumping, but still. Besides, the game assists you anyway on a vertical level by automatically lining your shots up to hit a target that's above you or below you. Not to mention that all actors pretty much are infinitely tall anyway. Which is kind of annoying because a pinky demon could be well below a ledge and still bite you but that's just the way it was.

In PSX Doom I am getting wrecked on ledges by imps and demons. I have even been hit between small bars/pillars.

Anyway, unavailable/disabled freelook is great when playing with a gamepad.

I am not a fan of free-look either. But I think it would be more realistic if no shot hit if a character is out of visible field, and certainly if close attacks like pinky biting not happen if there is elevation difference.