Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

On 12/8/2019 at 5:29 PM, 3DMaster said:

I was wondering if anyone was going to make a Doomsday Engine version.

I would welcome Doomsday version too.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:56 PM, MrFlibble said:

image.png.cc3f031458daa3054ccf17b156a1b31f.png

Is that some kind of Nazi Toxic Avenger??      Shit, I'm quick downloading this quick before that's fixed.  Nevermind the contradiction in the name.

Are there still talks about a sourceport? Like Pineapple Doom? Or like Cherry Doom? This thing is the bees knees, man! Upscale projects are gonna be bigger than football 

On 2/11/2018 at 8:35 AM, hidfan said:

after some tests : waifu2x is too limited in image size input. doing sprite after sprite will be crazy. it's results are interesting.

Did 

something like this (had to touch up the status bar manually)
rAB0PYm.png

I'm not sure if you know this already but, you can do batch processing in the linux terminal shell version of waifu2x. I have it set up already. I could try my hand at it when I have the time. (It takes a lot just to set the shell version up and understand the command parameters btw.)

21 minutes ago, Reinchard said:

Well, looks like we don't have to wait for March 20 to see real Doomguys face. Here's quick test of Remini app abilities:

OMG!

Looks very uncanny valley. FYI you should stretch those graphics vertically by 20% before running them through, then the face will have the more normal dimensions.

11 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Looks very uncanny valley. FYI you should stretch those graphics vertically by 20% before running them through, then the face will have the more normal dimensions.

Topic is about neural upscale, so I used original sprites proportions. I wanted to show technology. All this stuff above is only few minutes of work in app. Maybe someone with more time then I can produce with this some more stuff. I know, maybe this is not exactly "upscale", but final result can be resize to original resolution and they look exactly the same as original lowres art.

Like the other "HD" gfx mods, this neural upscale did the same awful face.

Both people (who did old HD mod) and this AI doesn't understand (eh) how to make the right resemblance. And they just doing wrong things with implementation of the uncanny valley effect.

BUT the technology itself provides good possibilities of making something in better quality, that's a positive factor, no doubt.

I also do like Doom Eternal's face. Though, it's not possible to see the whole face in D.E. videos.

Version from Q.C. doesn't look like the same as D1, but not bad at all.

This face was supposed to be upscaled and close to original as possible, like any other sprites and textures in this thread, so forget about realism, proportions etc. Using this technology we can create Doomguy face we all know, that fit to status bar and overall classic Doom art style perfectly. If you want more realistic stuff (but not matching with Doom art style) you can check my old 3d sculpt:

CLNqFGg.jpg

Another iteration (I like previous one for some reason, but this one looks less like a bum)

C25eTFN.jpg

From te left we have: Remini version, Remini pixelated 1, Remini pixelated 2, original resampled, original resized.

Oh, and if we talking about uncanny valley in hardcore version:

kziE0qT.jpg

I created a smooth animation of fluids compatible with Doom Neural Upscale 2X modifying the work of Rachael and Enjay for the original textures.

For anyone who wants to try or improve it I leave the link.

pfluids

Thank you all for the excellent work done on this mod!

Hmmm... I've spent most of the day combining the neural sprites with an animation interpolating program that someone just tipped me off to.

bPnKoaV.gif

The results are impressive, but also pretty rough and not game-ready. I'm still holding out for the hope of a completely upscaled+smoothened game remaster, but I'm still searching for a workflow that actually feels feasible.

The problem is that the animation program isn't really meant for sprites of this size (all the creator's demos use Sonic sprites), so it doesn't really know how to "morph" convincingly between frames, and you get this sort of chunking effect (look at the feet) which persists despite the added frames.

I was just talking about the possibilities of a neural upscaled Smooth Doom. This would be quite amazing but also a ton of work I guess. Just give it a few years and the neural nets will only get better. Maybe you can even throw in 16 rotations then, with minimal more effort. I am not giving up hope. :D

2 hours ago, Gifty said:

Hmmm... I've spent most of the day combining the neural sprites with an animation interpolating program that someone just tipped me off to.

bPnKoaV.gif

The results are impressive, but also pretty rough and not game-ready. I'm still holding out for the hope of a completely upscaled+smoothened game remaster, but I'm still searching for a workflow that actually feels feasible.

The problem is that the animation program isn't really meant for sprites of this size (all the creator's demos use Sonic sprites), so it doesn't really know how to "morph" convincingly between frames, and you get this sort of chunking effect (look at the feet) which persists despite the added frames.

A few people had a bash at that tool a few months back.  If you have questions about getting it work well, that might be a better place than this thread.

@Bauul Ah, had no idea the community had already had a crack at this thing! Thanks for the heads up.

I spent more time trying to tune the Soldier animation, and I think for the time being the tools aren't quite there yet for an Upscaled+Smooth workflow to really be doable. Maybe if we started smooth and upscaled from there we could get a better result, but since I don't have access to the upscaling tools I can't really test that. Oh well! Interprite works pretty well on the normal resolution sprites, so I'm going to focus on that for now.

Upscale method;

You want Gigapixel, That XBRZ Scaler test, a batch .cmd, and Photoshop.

Upscale the given sprites at 4x in Gigapixel, adjust accordingly (this is to add detail)

Make a second batch with 4X BRZ (This is for shape and Palette)

Open both in Photoshop, Paste the gigapixel upscale on top of the BRZ layer, align them both to be in the same spot.

Set Blend mode (or overlay) to Luminosity, then scale down Opacity to 50%, Merge layers.

Downscale the image by half, make sure it's Nearest Neighbor, clean details by magic wand with anti-aliasing (Select, delete, deselect, select again) about 2-3 times.

Save and throw in a Hires folder.

Results aren't perfect, but they are consistent and close enough (And I may have already upscaled the entire current build of SmoothDoom)

ezgif-3-accfa36f8151.gif