Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asking4Id

How do I turn off mouse acceleration?

So I'm using Zdoom but I don't see the option to turn this off, I actually died once accidentally on Sigil because I turned with the mouse and this pushed me back off the ledge into the lava. I'm assuming it's possible to turn mouse acceleration off. Please help.

Options > Mouse Options > Strafing Speed and Forward/Backward Speed. Atleast that's what I did to remove mouse acceleration.

OP, you are referring to vertical mouse movement. As mentioned, go into mouse options and set 'Forward/Backwards Speed' to 0.0. 

Mouse acceleration is a different, independent concept. With mouse acceleration on, the speed you move your mouse dynamically affects sensitivity. A fast flick across the mouse pad will turn you more in-game than a slow swipe covering the same physical distance. (Or you might turn less, if acceleration is set to a negative value.)  

1 hour ago, Asking4Id said:

So they're not identical? 

No, mouse acceleration means you are turning faster when moving the mouse fast. Mouse vertical movement is something different.

IMO vertical mouse movement should NOT be the default in any modern port, tsk tsk ... I know it's how it was in vanilla but daymn.

Damnit, I never realized that the vertical mouse axis defaults to movement instead of looking up and down. I've been copying around my config for 15 years and never noticed the bad default.

@Asking4Id If you want to get rid of it, go to the menu and set "Always mouselook" in the mouse options to true, then the mouse will be used for looking up and down. With the next GZDoom release the default will be changed, but since you already have a config you'll have to change it manually.

@Graf Zahl

Will the new default be mouse with no vertical axis movement and mouselook Off? Or On?

Also, is the keyboard going to be WASD-preconfigured?

markc mouse fix just in case he wants no mouse accel. as for vertical movement in doom, heh. i used novert and later cpanel when playing vanilla so i didn't fall off the ledge in m01. forgot that "feature" with all those ports and mouse aiming.

The OP used the wrong term to explain his problem, the fix you posted is useless for him, don't confuse him. He just has to change a ZDoom option.

7 hours ago, VGA said:

@Graf Zahl

Will the new default be mouse with no vertical axis movement and mouselook Off? Or On?

The engine has no "both off" setting unless you reduce vertical mouse sensitivity to 0.

7 hours ago, VGA said:

Also, is the keyboard going to be WASD-preconfigured?

Only as an alternative preset. The current one won't go away.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, Graf Zahl said:

I've been copying around my config for 15 years and never noticed the bad default.

Damn. I never thought to do that haha! I'm just so used to going in and adjusting everything to my liking. It also gets me into playing Doom for a bit after i'm done doing it too so i don't mind it ;) But yeah, i always set set "Forward/Backwards Speed" to 0.0. right away. I also adjust my controls to WASD. It's not a big deal to me tbh. I do more as well but i won't mention it all here as it is irrelevant to the conversation.