Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asking4Id

The Perfect Enemy topic.

In this topic, mention wads you've played that use monsters expertly/in ways that are appropriately challenging. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions. It doesn't have to have every monster done perfectly, but at least one monster type should be done perfectly to qualify for discussion here. One example is Brotherhood of Ruin. In this map pack Hell Knights are always used as well as possible. For reference, here's a list of Doom's monster names (in case anybody doesn't remember).

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Monster

Honorable mention to Plutonia's understanding of how each monster can really fuck the player. While excessive, every Archvile, Revenant and Chaingunner has a real big amount of thought put into it (For the most part.)

I have a fav for Death-Destiny's maps for Monster ambushes involving teleportation. He had the skill to make the monsters teleport very fast.

I always really liked how effectively BTSX E2 used Archviles. Map24 "Perhaps Now The Vultures" is also my favourite Archvile concept map I've ever played, with all the corpses everywhere.

I always thought Rylayeh had really solid monster placement. For example, the first level utilizes pinky demons super well in that initial first encounter, rendering a whole area of the map unusable and creating a very frantic start, complimented by the imps on the towers serving as area denial snipers. The whole mapset also utilizes groups of former human type enemies extremely well too, and really forces the player to prioritize their fights

Map 08 of Going Down; Hide and Seek. Great use of archies and silent teleporters, i really like the eeire atmosphere how it seems like an empty storage area at first, even if you suspect there are archies, you still feel doubt about what's to come.

Map 28 of Scythe, not necessary how some monsters act as a roadblock but how tension is created when gibbed remains teleport on the map as a means to instill tension on the player, encouraging the player to run as fast as possible before an invisible horror tears the player to shreds. 

MAP31 - Secret of Scythe 2 immediately came to my mind. 

The usage of Evil Marine is very good.

Antares' Struggle also have really clever enemy placements - for reference, the zombiemen and the imps on the first map can fuck you up if you are not careful.

Spoiler

And I have a strong dislike toward the Fandom Doom wiki.

50 minutes ago, Asking4Id said:

What?

The Fandom wikia has some serious issues, not least some very unsavory business practices.  For the good of the community (and pretty much every other community) we try wherever possible to link to the Wiki that's run by members of the community, doomwiki.org.

Doomwiki.org is also much more actively updated, as wikia contains a lot of out of date information. We have to correct new users pretty often, so it's fine if you are a bit confused OP. The situation is definitely not desirable :P Sorry for the minor derail!