Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeceMan

Can i make fog denser?

Question

I'm trying to make something inspired kinda by silent hill, so i want some strong fog

i tried with mapinfo fade=100 and with sectorsetfade(1,64,64,64), but both of these are just not oppressive enough. I want the player to be barely able to see a couple of feet away from them. Is there any way i can do this?

8 answers to this question

Since you are using MAPINFO, use fogdensity and set it to a high value, ca 900 or more if needed.

b9JtI1U.png

in combination with 1 mu 3d sectors for layers with heavy groundfog.

IsU6qmQ.png

Edited by Kappes Buur : added screenshots

6 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Since you are using MAPINFO, use fogdensity and set it to a high value, ca 900 or more if needed.

Thanks a lot! Do you know how I can change the color of the fog to white? Mine is dark red

I, too, want to have some really dense fog, but for an underwater effect(swimmable 3d-floor, gzdoom).

fogdensity = 900, in MAPINFO makes no appreciable difference to me. I've tried values as high as a million, but the highest value that seems to have any noticeable effect is 510, same as setting the maximum allowable fog density value in the editor(GZDoom Builder), but that still only works for normal sectors, not the control sector used to define the water.

As far as color goes, in GZDoom Builder there's a Colors tab when you edit sectors. Set the Fade color for an individual sector there. But, if I set fade = 100 in MAPINFO, I too get a soft red fog over the entire map. Try setting it to a color value, like fade = FFFFFF. That made the fog white for me. Setting fade, however, seems to make fogdensity do nothing... man, I don't get how fog is supposed to work.

Is there a way to simulate fog in Vanilla, Limit Removing and Boom?
I really want to try something different in more oldschool settings.

25 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Is there a way to simulate fog in Vanilla, Limit Removing and Boom?
I really want to try something different in more oldschool settings.

You can make it on vanilla using a custom colormap.
Keep in mind the fog will last for your entire project - but you can also put levels\episodes in different wads (ala BTSX) to circumvent that.

In Boom is a bit more flexible, I think you can toggle between different colormaps using linedef actions. I'm not sure how it works, but I remember seeing an old Freedoom map that did that (when the project was boom-compatible).

Just now, Noiser said:

You can make it on vanilla using a custom colormap.
Keep in mind the fog will last for your entire project - but you can also put levels\episodes in different wads (ala BTSX) to circumvent that.

In Boom is a bit more flexible, I think you can toggle between different colormaps using linedef actions. I'm not sure how it works, but I remember seeing an old Freedoom map that did that (when the project was boom-compatible).

Yeah, just see this in another thread, thanks anyway ;)
But i wonder what happens when you overrided the values of the sector light?

Just now, P41R47 said:

Yeah, just see this in another thread, thanks anyway ;)
But i wonder what happens when you overrided the values of the sector light?

You can use this value to control the fog density.