Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

15 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Sorry to keep posting here, but my game seems to be crashing on MAP07 of Ancient Aliens and I'm not sure why. Hit the switch and ride the lift, it crashes just before the lift reaches the top. I can't seem to reproduce it outside of the save file but from what I can tell it seems to be a rendering issue, when something comes into view.

aliensav.zip

Not a problem at all! I appreciate the effort! (You can DM me if you prefer.) Okay, I've checked out the save and it crashes for me too. I believe I know the cause, should be able to fix the issue shortly, and I'll upload a new build soon.

5 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Not a problem at all! I appreciate the effort! (You can DM me if you prefer.) Okay, I've checked out the save and it crashes for me too. I believe I know the cause, should be able to fix the issue shortly, and I'll upload a new build soon.

What's the problem, out of curiosity?

Basically, the save was corrupted by a bug that I fixed in a previous version (some things weren't being removed from the map correctly). The fix I've now implemented checks for those things when a savegame is loaded. Please redownload DR. You're savegame should work fine now. :)

28 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Basically, the save was corrupted by a bug that I fixed in a previous version (some things weren't being removed from the map correctly). The fix I've now implemented checks for those things when a savegame is loaded. Please redownload DR. You're savegame should work fine now. :)

It does, thank you! One less urgent issue:

Spoiler

1835469858_AncientAliens.png.e83d75203b9ff1287ee700ce1d2d6717.png

EDIT: Actually, it's more major than I thought; the game occasionally crashes upon death. I think it's caused when the final blow causes the ouch face, or when the last face displayed was the ouch face, but it's hard to determine the circumstances. I was holding the fist in the screenshot but I think the bug makes the ammo count disappear as well.

Edited by maxmanium

53 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

It does, thank you! One less urgent issue:

Hide contents

1835469858_AncientAliens.png.e83d75203b9ff1287ee700ce1d2d6717.png

EDIT: Actually, it's more major than I thought; the game occasionally crashes upon death. I think it's caused when the final blow causes the ouch face, or when the last face displayed was the ouch face, but it's hard to determine the circumstances. I was holding the fist in the screenshot but I think the bug makes the ammo count disappear as well.

LOL! Thanks, and please download again! All fixed!

On 1/4/2020 at 12:16 AM, bradharding said:
  • The default of the vid_scalefilter CVAR has been changed from “nearest” to “nearest_linear”.

I remember discussion about it years ago, and it didn’t look good back then (feels blurry). Why the change now?

14 hours ago, Krazov said:

I remember discussion about it years ago, and it didn’t look good back then (feels blurry). Why the change now?

I've change my mind and actually prefer it. It makes things look neater, cleaner imho. People can always change it.

I have a question regarding using this sourceport. I have read through the website about how setting up a game with a custom PWAD and it seems to be the good ol' fashioned drag and drop but whenever I try to load two PWADs together, one of them overwrites the over.  I'm basically trying to load a personal weapon sprite replacement plus a custom mapset together and I get Doom 2 levels.

Is there a something I'm missing?

I think it defaults to the Doom 2 IWAD? But you want to use the original Doom? Maybe launch the doomretro.exe then select the Doom IWAD and then (with ctrl-click) select a second file and a third (your two PWADs)

I use ZDL, by the way, makes things simpler.

https://gamebanana.com/tools/6448

If you don't want to use ZDL, you can create a .bat file with a commandline like this:

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki/STARTING-A-GAME#USING-THE-WAD-LAUNCHER

Kinda like this: 

doomretro.exe -iwad C:\DOOM\doom.wad -file C:\wads\first.wad -file C:\wads\second.wad

Version 3.5 of DOOM Retro is now available! Please visit www.doomretro.com to download. Here's a list of changes:

• Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • Improvements have been made to the support of IWADs that contain censored Wolfenstein SS sprites.
  • IWADs specified using the -file command-line parameter will now always be treated as PWADs.
  • Minor changes have been made to the character set used in the console.
  • Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • The keys on the numeric keypad now work correctly in the console.
  • DOOM Retro will now play sound effect lumps that are in WAV format.
  • The corpses of some of the smaller monsters, as well as other marines, will now be gibbed when close enough to barrel and rocket explosions. This feature can be toggled on or off using the new r_corpses_gib CVAR, which is on by default and off when vanilla mode is on.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby certain floor textures would glitch in some rare instances if the r_liquid_current CVAR was on.
  • The following changes have been made to DOOM Retro’s MBF-compatible helper dogs:
    • The DOGSA1 to DOGSN0 lumps have now been replaced with sprites by Nash Muhandes, released under the Creative Commons (BY 3.0) license.
    • The DSDGACT and DSDGATK lumps have now been replaced with edited versions of “Mr Dog_01.wav” by apolloaiello, released under the Creative Commons (CC0 1.0 Universal) license.
    • The DSDGDTH, DSDGPAIN and DSDGSIT lumps have now been replaced with edited versions of “DogYelp.wav” by TobiasKosmos, released under the Creative Commons (BY 3.0) license.
  • The map CCMD now also accepts a map’s title as its parameter. For example, entering map nuclearplant in the console will warp the player to E1M2: Nuclear Plant.
  • The effects of changing the r_blood CVAR in the console will now always be immediate.
  • The teleport CCMD now accepts an optional third parameter, specifying the height the player will be from the floor once they have teleported.
  • The color of the console’s bottom edge may now be changed using the new con_edgecolor CVAR. It is 180 by default.
  • The s_musicvolume and s_sfxvolume CVARs are now both set to the same lowest value when vanilla mode is on.
  • A crash will no longer occur when the player uses the secret exit in SIGIL’s E5M6: Unspeakable Persecution.
  • Further improvements have been made to the support of MAPINFO lumps.
  • A sound is now made when toggling between fullscreen and a window.
  • Lines with special 46 (“GR Door Open Stay”) now work correctly.
  • Monsters can no longer be spawned using the spawn CCMD when the nomonsters CCMD is in effect.

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

• Monsters can no longer be spawned using the spawn CCMD when the nomonsters CCMD is in effect.

I think this could be an unnecessary hindrance to playtesting.

Thanks for the update. I've found out about this port a week ago and it's been my go-to for Boom and MBF wads now.

The criticisms I have is how even in widescreen mode, there are still black bars, at least for 1920x1080.

I'd also like to know if it's possible to deactivate the shadows beneath the enemies, to toggle infinitely tall monsters/decoration or change compatibility settings overall. I can't find commands for those in the help page for console commands.

Overall I'd like to see options to change every modification from Doom Retro to Doom's original settings, each in particular, so I can find the settings I'm most comfortable with.

Edit: (other things I've remembered)

- when exiting a level, for a split second, the HUD and screen revert back to normal if in widescreen mode.

- monster, item, secret count and colored doors in the automap would be a good addition.

- a version of the original HUD with the background completely invisible would be neat. I'd like to have widescreen mode while still being able to see the ammo for all my guns.

Edited by Juza

8 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

There is a console command named vanilla to enable the vanilla mode.

Yes, but afaik it's impossible to have a handful of the original Doom settings out of vanilla mode.

@Juza

Go in the config and change this:

r_shadows on

Look here for more options

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki/CONSOLE-VARIABLES

also run this:

infiniteheight off

and it will be saved in the cfg I think

You can keep multiple configs and rename them. Then use "–config filename.cfg" to load a specific one. So you can make batch files or shortcuts that load wads with specific configs.

6 hours ago, Juza said:

I think this could be an unnecessary hindrance to playtesting

You're right. I think I'll revert this in the next build. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Juza said:

The criticisms I have is how even in widescreen mode, there are still black bars, at least for 1920x1080.

Widescreen mode in DOOM Retro is different than in other ports in that it just "zooms in" on the area above the status bar, keeping what you see consistent between the 2 modes. What's displayed is 16:10, so is still going to have pillarboxes on a 16:9 screen. (This is also why you briefly see the status bar before wiping to the intermission.)

EDIT: Having said that, I may look at pursuing a true widescreen mode.

6 hours ago, Juza said:

monster, item, secret count and colored doors in the automap would be a good addition

Not something I'm willing to clutter the automap with, I'm afraid. You can use the playerstats CCMD in the console though.

6 hours ago, Juza said:

a version of the original HUD with the background completely invisible would be neat. I'd like to have widescreen mode while still being able to see the ammo for all my guns

This may happen at some point in the future. I've been experimenting with further alternate HUDs.

5 hours ago, Juza said:

Yes, but afaik it's impossible to have a handful of the original Doom settings out of vanilla mode

When vanilla mode is enabled, it temporarily changes a whole bunch of CVARs to vanilla behavior. See here.

Edited by bradharding

Got a weird side effect from a DEHACKED patch. All I did was change the first "saw" frame for the chainsaw to last for 3 tics instead of 4, and now the chainsaw moves side-to-side when firing. To be honest, I kinda like it, but something tells me it isn't intentional (or it's an obscure feature)...

Edit: Must be a bug. If I reduce the duration of the other weapons it happens with most of them, too (rocket launcher, BFG, shotgun).

Edited by maxmanium

7 hours ago, VGA said:

You need to adjust the offsets of the sprite in SLADE.

Why? There’s no custom sprite being used, and it works fine in every other port.

14 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Why? There’s no custom sprite being used, and it works fine in every other port.

This is because if a state is dehacked, DR will no longer apply its sprite offset fixes (see r_fixspriteoffsets CVAR) to the sprite of that state, but it still will to all other states. I'll investigate a better way to do this.

Being able to see all other ammo types/munition counts at-a-glance would be nice, since the classic Doom HUD has always had this feature. Maybe have icons next to a three-digit number in a small stack?

Is the drawdistance for voodoo dolls limited? I noticed that I have to be like 16 units close to them, for their sprite to appear.

16 hours ago, waveplay said:

Is it possible for there to be more information available regarding RMAPINFO?  I am attempting to use this lump specifically to set my animated liquid flats to be affected by doomretro's liquid warping effect, and it isn't working ATM, or I am doing something wrong.  No crashes or anything occur - just the lack of the actual warping effect. 

The spoiler tag contains the entire content of my lump named RMAPINFO, written according to https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki/INFORMATION-FOR-MAPPERS#MAPINFO-LUMPS. ...

There's only that rather incomplete page for now, but it appears what you're doing is correct. I'll look into why this is not working, and may PM you (if that's okay) for further info.

EDIT: A bug was found in the code. This will be fixed in the next version of DR. Thanks.

7 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Is the drawdistance for voodoo dolls limited? I noticed that I have to be like 16 units close to them, for their sprite to appear.

This shouldn't be the case. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Edited by bradharding