Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Games with infighting

Which other games (mostly FPS games) have infighting? Please note that having different species/factions of enemies is something different. I am talking about enemies being on the same side until one hurts the other and they turn on them or something equivalent to that.

So just because Half-Life has marines fighting aliens doesn't mean it is infighting. Unless the marines can turn on each other if they receive damage.

I replayed Marathon 2: Durandal recently and I think it has infighting. Unless it was just my imagination.

Quake and Quake II.

Doom 3 has a strange variant of infighting were lower tier monsters don‘t fight back a higher tier monster, but continue fighting the player instead. But you can enable classic infighting in custom levels by putting each monster in a different team.

Apart from the Doom engine games (Doom, Heretic and Hexen), I know Quake, Quake 2 and Blood have it (although in their case, it is not much useful). Duke3D also has it in limited fashion (the protozoid slimer can attack/eat other low tier enemies and enemies can damage each other from their explosions/bullets).

Edited by ReaperAA

Apart from the Doom and Build engine games (and maybe Bioshock, as I've been hearing lately) and Quake I'm not aware of games with similar mechanics, however, in the Build engine games infighting is useless since, to my knowledge, the enemies never react to being shot by a "friendly" in a similar fashion to Doom's, so if they get hurt or die, that's all there is to it I guess.

4 hours ago, seed said:

Build engine games infighting is useless since, to my knowledge, the enemies never react to being shot by a "friendly" in a similar fashion to Doom's, so if they get hurt or die, that's all there is to it I guess.

Blood infighting is pretty much intact from my personal experience. 

It's one of the things that made Doom stand out at the time. Most games until that point had baddies that couldn't even hurt each other accidentally, because their projectiles didn't harm other baddies, and in plot terms most other games have relatively intelligent monsters - the baddies in Doom are essentially dumb animals driven into a frenzied rage.

It is important that they made same-type projectiles not do damage, though. Otherwise fights against a squad of Imps (or against  squad of Hellknights) would be trivial, you could dance around and finish the survivor with a single SSG blast no matter how many Imps there were.

I'd have to double check to be absolutely sure, but as I recall at least some enemies in Severance Blade of Darkness could infight in a similar manner to Doom (accidentally hitting each other and going aggro) but since combat there is primarily melee it wasn't as easy to turn to your advantage (also pretty sure that if enemies killed each other you didn't get XP for them which would suck).

I remember lots of instances of the Stinger robots getting into fights with other robots in Descent 3, so I believe it has general enemy infighting.

Dusk has it as well. Not sure about Amid Evil, I'm pretty sure I saw it, but I'd have to play it again.

8 hours ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

It's one of the things that made Doom stand out at the time. Most games until that point had baddies that couldn't even hurt each other accidentally, because their projectiles didn't harm other baddies, and in plot terms most other games have relatively intelligent monsters - the baddies in Doom are essentially dumb animals driven into a frenzied rage.

A very good point. I guess the only semi-intelligent monster in Doom would be the arch-vile. It just seems to be more deliberate. But it's also more like a force of nature.

8 hours ago, VGA said:

It is important that they made same-type projectiles not do damage, though. Otherwise fights against a squad of Imps (or against  squad of Hellknights) would be trivial, you could dance around and finish the survivor with a single SSG blast no matter how many Imps there were.

Yes, although this logic only works for magic attacks. Bullets seem to hit everyone! And because the attack is instant, fighting an army of chaingunners is difficult regardless of the fact that they are killing each other as well.

KISS Psycho Circus also has infighting built in, but as with the other titles mentioned - it's not as useful as in Doom.

I blame the sturdy framework of the original - massive monster counts with ease, mostly missile attacks & spatious 2D layouts without much convoluted terrain to get hung up on.

Turok 2 has it, to some extent. I've gotten Raptoids and Endtrails to fight each other, don't know if other enemy factions have that behavior too.

17 hours ago, Job said:

I'm 99% certain that Chasm: The Rift had infighting. 

You are right. Chasm: The Rift has monster infighting.

Postal series also has it (with the exception of POSTAL 1)
And I think Serious Sam also has it

Unreal has some infighting, but it's not very common. Skaarj, for example, can fight Krall, Mercenaries, Titans, wild critters like Devilfish and Mantas, and Skaarj Berserkers. But aside from Skaarj Berserkers, Skaarj won't fight each other, nor will you see Krall on Krall fights, etc. There's almost no same-class infighting like there is with Doom hitscanners.

Interestingly, there's also specific code in the Skaarj Berserker AI that makes them hate anything besides Pupae, which suggests Berserkers may have been reserved as special hatchery guards, built to kill anything that moves (including each other). Kinda funny that they will still fight Skaarj Queens, though, given the chance.

I know Killing Floor 1 had infighting, I assume 2 does as well.

I even have a screenshot somewhere around here of them infighting on a custom map based on Map01 from Doom 2 which was oh so appropriate.

EDIT: Found it.

Spoiler

1250_screenshots_2013-10-04_00001.jpg.9be120e0d6b49393ea04700a33093d61.jpg

I am just replaying Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2 (third-person action game from 2000 based on the Quake 3 engine) and noticed it has infighting as well.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:33 PM, FractalBeast said:

I don't know about many games with infighting... but I do know about many game communities with infighting. *ta dum tish*

Must be talking about the Dark Souls community.